The spouse decided since I was on "vacation" this long holiday weekend it would be a good time to build the flagstone patio we wanted.
The previous owners of this house had pieces of slate buried randomly around the yard and we have been digging it up for two years!
We have a 16'x16' dirt area we use as our "fire pit" that will eventually be our patio. Our yard is also very unlevel, so I decided we could use some of the dirt we have to remove from the patio area to fill a rather nasty dip. That will involve raising the steps and platform that lead to the back yard one more step, about 7". I framed that part in yesterday while the spouse was at work.
Fortunately our oldest son brought a skid steer from his work today to help us dig out the area. there were some issues getting it into the back yard and he ended up having to drag the bucket in behind the tractor through the narrow access. This means we will still have to hand shovel and wheel barrow in the 3 yards of 3/4" gravel and 2 yards of sand that is now residing on our front lawn.
But we got the patio area dug out and leveled today with the proper 1/4' per foot slope for drainage. Our yard is on a hill that sloped about 3/4" per foot so we had to lower one end and actually work on an upwards slope toward the front to get the proper pitch.
We got the framework in place but I won't tell you what the spouse did to my BRAND NEW Bosch sliding compound saw. I will say I have a new Makita 80 tooth blade and I need a new fence. One cut, all I asked was do ONE CUT.
It was partly my fault as I was standing beside the saw NOT paying attention. I have the shrapnel in my chin as a reminder.
Here are some pictures of our progress so far. You can see the grandkids came along and brought some "heavy equipment" to help out. Tomorrow we will be bringing in the fill. With luck we will have the stone laid on Monday and the patio finished!