Tried something new today - Router Forums
 15Likes
  • 14 Post By kklowell
  • 1 Post By kklowell
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 1,145
 
Default Tried something new today

This is old hat for many of the members here, but today I tried something I read here and it worked.
I wanted a zero clearance insert for my miter saw so I took some 1/4" plywood, cut three strips slightly bigger than the stock insert and double-stick-taped them in a stack. Attached the stock insert to the top of the stack with the same tape, and bandsawed close to the insert, all the way around. Then I put a bottom bearing trim bit in my table router and routed the waste away, using the stock insert as a template.
It worked great! That's why this place is so great... I learn something new almost every time I log on!
I drilled the holes using a drill bit that was a close fit to the original holes and then used a Forstner bit to recess the screws.
Tried something new today-zcmiter.jpg
kklowell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 AM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 17,995
 
Default

That's a nice piece of work!

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 1,145
 
Default

Thanks, Tom. I think it came out ok for a first try at the technique.
kklowell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

Ken,nice job on the zero clearance - you might want to consider making a couple more for bevel cuts.

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 1,145
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchiarelli View Post
Ken,nice job on the zero clearance - you might want to consider making a couple more for bevel cuts.
I did, I made three blanks.
vchiarelli likes this.
kklowell is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 AM
Registered User
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Don
Posts: 2,603
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklowell View Post
This is old hat for many of the members here, but today I tried something I read here and it worked.
I wanted a zero clearance insert for my miter saw so I took some 1/4" plywood, cut three strips slightly bigger than the stock insert and double-stick-taped them in a stack. Attached the stock insert to the top of the stack with the same tape, and bandsawed close to the insert, all the way around. Then I put a bottom bearing trim bit in my table router and routed the waste away, using the stock insert as a template.
It worked great! That's why this place is so great... I learn something new almost every time I log on!
I drilled the holes using a drill bit that was a close fit to the original holes and then used a Forstner bit to recess the screws.
Attachment 326369
Hey, Ken, you did a great job. I did the same as you and it works great.

Don in Murfreesboro,Tn.

Measure once cut twice and it's still to short.
hawkeye10 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Mexico
First Name: Joseph Anthony
Posts: 643
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
Hey, Ken, you did a great job. I did the same as you and it works great.
Same here.

Cheers.

Joe
RÖENTGEEP is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 1,145
 
Default

Thanks, everyone. Now I just need to tune that saw for a bit more accuracy, make zc's for my bandsaw and table saw, and keep working on trying to make my shop cleaner and more organized, etc., etc, etc. I don't think I retired soon enough.
kklowell is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:37 PM
Registered User
 
JFPNCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jon
Posts: 4,103
 
Default

Well done. At one time DeWalt offered zero clearance inserts for their chop saws but discontinued them. No doubt the ease with which one can make their own closed them out.

Jon
JFPNCM is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scored Some Wood Today!!! MT Stringer Lobby 6 01-12-2018 09:41 PM
Packages arrived today bigarm Table-mounted Routing 24 02-20-2016 11:27 AM
Got a heck of a deal on a riding mower today! Stan Richardson Lobby 7 08-11-2013 11:55 AM
Fete today. derek willis Lobby 10 07-04-2011 03:13 PM
Finally got to play today Glenmore Lobby 4 08-29-2005 08:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome