Thanks all for the super quick responses!
I got the answers that I expected, meaning I knew what to do, so the problem wasn't in the knowing but the doing. I thought the cuts were light enough, but maybe not. It is basically an end-grain cut. Flipping the piece to go in the other direction of the grain didn't solve the problem. Again, looks like I was doing the right thing, just not good enough. As I don't have a belt sander and didn't want to risk ruining the pieces, I finished them out by hand - file, sand paper, spokeshave. Not a lot of fun with eucalyptus, the results less than I would have liked, but passable. Hopefully next time will be better.