Quick tip - Router Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Marine Engineer
 
kp91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Doug
Posts: 4,513
 
Default Quick tip

Having multiple routers makes life easier, but sometimes it can get confusing with all the cords laying around. To make sure I have the right plug for the right router I have stuck a neon cable tie at each end of the router cable. Different colors on different routers make it easy to tell if the correct router is plugged in, or more importantly unpluged when changing bits.

I had used colored electrical tape before, but the cable ties work a lot better.

Safety first!
jj777746 likes this.

Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA




http://disasterreliefeffort.org/
kp91 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
The Router Guys

 
BobandRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 767
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp91
Having multiple routers makes life easier, but sometimes it can get confusing with all the cords laying around. To make sure I have the right plug for the right router I have stuck a neon cable tie at each end of the router cable. Different colors on different routers make it easy to tell if the correct router is plugged in, or more importantly unpluged when changing bits.

I had used colored electrical tape before, but the cable ties work a lot better.

Safety first!
Great tip worth 200 points, this one would fit on the daily tip rotator, may we use your tip.

Rick and Bob
The Router Guys


Well I have just completed my first PDF E-Course, which is 10 embedded lessons from the Router Workshop Video Series. This is a must have PDF that you can get some very good pointers on how to use the router. Get your FREE copy here!

Click here to join the Router Workshop!!
BobandRick is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Marine Engineer
 
kp91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Doug
Posts: 4,513
 
Default

Please feel free to share my tip with everyone

Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA




http://disasterreliefeffort.org/
kp91 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default 35mm film canister

When I don't have a bit in my table mounted router I put a black plastic 35mm film canister over the collet. This keeps debris out and this beats having to un-mount the router to turn it over to clean it. Another reason the tabletop system used on the Router Workshop is so nice, out and over in seconds.

Ed
jj777746 likes this.
reible is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default How about a not so quick tip? Please read anyway

This really happen to me 4 or 5 years ago:

I was ripping a board and the power went off. It is pitch black and the first thing I think of is getting to a flashlight hanging about a half a shop away. As Iím making my way to the flashlight the power comes back onÖ. So does the saw with a board still in contact with the blade. I was lucky that day. If this happens to you remember to get the power tool turned off FIRST! I learned my lesson the scary way maybe so you donít have to.

Ed
reible is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reible
When I don't have a bit in my table mounted router I put a black plastic 35mm film canister over the collet. This keeps debris out and this beats having to un-mount the router to turn it over to clean it. Another reason the tabletop system used on the Router Workshop is so nice, out and over in seconds.

Ed
Ed, thanks for the tip. I'll set it up for the daily tip.

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com
Mark is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:53 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
 
Default

That's unlikely to happen here reible
All router tables, table saws and many other tools are fitted with a no voltage release switch.
If the power goes off it stays off regardless of the main coming back on.
The switch has to be turned on again as the loss of power makes the switch need resetting.
Even the cheapest bench tools have this switch, for safety.
Dewy is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered User
 
ejant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Ed
Posts: 1,474
 
Default

In a table mounted router and a bit is chucked up and the router not in use cover the bit or lower the bit below table height.

Same thing with a table saw, lower the blade when not in use.
ejant is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewy
That's unlikely to happen here reible
All router tables, table saws and many other tools are fitted with a no voltage release switch.
If the power goes off it stays off regardless of the main coming back on.
The switch has to be turned on again as the loss of power makes the switch need resetting.
Even the cheapest bench tools have this switch, for safety.
Actual that is a nice feature for safety but most tools here in the US don't bother as it is not required. Commerical equipment may or may not be equipped with "drop out switches", I know when I worked for a major company it was required on our lab tools but I have also been in some small woodworking shops where they have consumer tools......

Ed

Last edited by reible; 09-20-2004 at 08:37 PM.
reible is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejant
In a table mounted router and a bit is chucked up and the router not in use cover the bit or lower the bit below table height.

Same thing with a table saw, lower the blade when not in use.
Yes lower all blades / bits when they are not being used. Safer for you and the cutting edges.

This would make an interesting survey, I personal never leave a bit in a router, either the table mounted or handheld. I never leave a drill bit in the chuck or the key in the chuck either. How about others?

Ed
reible is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick and Easy Turning Project.... challagan Corey's Wooden Stuff 10 04-14-2008 05:36 PM
Quick change router mount? archangel Table-mounted Routing 12 01-17-2008 02:51 PM
Raised Panels Quick and Easy bobj3 Jigs and Fixtures 2 06-03-2006 01:56 PM
Bit Quick Connects BAMILLER General Routing 3 12-06-2005 10:44 AM
**New Function** Quick Thread Mark Lobby 1 11-27-2005 10:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome