Troubled routers in need of help... - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
justascratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Kevin
Posts: 8
 
Thumbs up Troubled routers in need of help...

Hi guys,
I bought a few used routers tonight.
I need help....
The Dewalt, DW624, is seized up, so the spindle doesn't rotate.
Any Ideas ???

The two others, are porter cables.6209
One with a plunge, and the other fixed.
The Porter Cables, may be operable with some new brushes.
Not really sure.

But, is there a secret to install these brushes ???

That dang spring is bent, how can I align the connections before I place the cap, over the top of the spring to make a correct connection ?
My patience, is being tested.
Any ideas ???
And also, that Dewalt,
What are some ideas I could look into ?

All you Router Gurus, Please help.
Thanks to all who respond.
Gotta go now.
I"ll check back this afternoon.


Thanks again,
" justascratch "

Kevin

I'll try to respond before very long.
I'm going on a retreat this weekend.
I NEED IT !!! I BET WE ALL DO !!!
Attached Images
 
justascratch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Registered User
 
istracpsboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Croatia
First Name: Peter
Posts: 1,683
 
Default

Hi Kevin

Does the drawing on this page help ?

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?P...ageHistory=cat

Cheers

Peter
istracpsboss is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Frank
Posts: 119
 
Default

The seized up one might just need new bearings which should be an easy fix. Go to a bearing supply store in your area with the old bearings. They will most likely be able to get them for you, and usually much cheaper than you'd get them at the factory store. While it's apart, clean up the armature as best you can.
The brushes should be easier to change than the bearings, but they probably will have to come from the factory store, unless there is a motor rebulider near you that might be able to fix you up.
Good luck, and let us all know how you made out.
routafinger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

My experience with the Hitachi and Makita routers is that the bearings are standard off-the-shelf stuff. The price listed in Peter's reply are exorbitant. I hope you're not paying that Peter.

That said, disassemble carefully and, if necessary use the parts blow-up as a dis-assembly/re-assembly chart. You might need a bearing puller to take off the top and bottom bearings. Once you've gotten the whole thing apart, take a look at the armature, where the brushes rub and see if it is grooved. If so, take the whole thing to a motor repair shop and see if it is repairable. I also check the field coil and any imperfections in the collet threads. Those are the three project killers.

Replace all of the bearings, clean the brush contact area on the armature (some use steel wool, others use fine Emory paper) replace the brushes, and you should have a new router. Routers seldom wear out but are abused or broken. Your's fall into the neglected-abused category.

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Kevin

I would run them down to one of the many server centers, it's free the norm and they can tell you if it's worth the money to fix them, if so you can get the right parts at that point..or pickup some white paint and make some new door stops..

===

Quote:
Originally Posted by justascratch View Post
Hi guys,
I bought a few used routers tonight.
I need help....
The Dewalt, DW624, is seized up, so the spindle doesn't rotate.
Any Ideas ???

The two others, are porter cables.6209
One with a plunge, and the other fixed.
The Porter Cables, may be operable with some new brushes.
Not really sure.

But, is there a secret to install these brushes ???

That dang spring is bent, how can I align the connections before I place the cap, over the top of the spring to make a correct connection ?
My patience, is being tested.
Any ideas ???
And also, that Dewalt,
What are some ideas I could look into ?

All you Router Gurus, Please help.
Thanks to all who respond.
Gotta go now.
I"ll check back this afternoon.


Thanks again,
" justascratch "

Kevin

I'll try to respond before very long.
I'm going on a retreat this weekend.
I NEED IT !!! I BET WE ALL DO !!!



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
istracpsboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Croatia
First Name: Peter
Posts: 1,683
 
Default

Hi Ron

I only posted it for the drawing. That firm does drawings and spares for all sorts. I didn't even look at the prices. If I need bearings I've a bearing factor 10km down the road. I would never bother pulling bearings from the UK.

Cheers

Peter
istracpsboss is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by istracpsboss View Post
Hi Ron

I only posted it for the drawing. That firm does drawings and spares for all sorts. I didn't even look at the prices. If I need bearings I've a bearing factor 10km down the road. I would never bother pulling bearings from the UK.

Cheers

Peter
Hi Peter:

Sorry, I was aware of that but I failed to mention it. It was the price of the bearing that floored me and at that point I became myopic. Sorry about that. Maybe next time, I'll see blue and cool it instead of red. ;-)

Ron

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered User
 
istracpsboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Croatia
First Name: Peter
Posts: 1,683
 
Default

Hi Ron

No problem!

Cheers

Peter
istracpsboss is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
justascratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Kevin
Posts: 8
 
Default

Thanks guys,
This is all great advice.
I'll be up late tonight try to find out where to start the dismantling.
Oh, by the way,the Dewalt is a DW624 plunge.
And 2 porter cables are 6902's one with plunge, one not.
All for $40.00
I like being in the right place, at the right time...
justascratch is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Warren
Posts: 255
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justascratch View Post
Thanks guys,
This is all great advice.
I'll be up late tonight try to find out where to start the dismantling.
Oh, by the way,the Dewalt is a DW624 plunge.
And 2 porter cables are 6902's one with plunge, one not.
All for $40.00
I like being in the right place, at the right time...
Well......we'll see. You MAY have been in the right place to take a load of boat anchors off the guys hands!! Be SURE to let us know how it all comes out. AND the final cost. Enjoy your new treasures and have fun!!
sourdough is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Extra Routers What To Do With?? Steve B General Routing 17 02-28-2010 07:40 PM
Need 6 routers F3RR3T General Routing 14 10-21-2009 06:14 PM
A need for two routers? ebeard General Routing 12 05-01-2009 05:16 PM
Triton Routers DougO General Routing 32 11-17-2008 01:48 PM
New Craftsman Routers foleylink General Routing 2 11-10-2007 11:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome