Which router? - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Phill
Posts: 14
 
Default Which router?

Good morning everyone.
Here is a "loaded" question from a "newbie": I just won a Craftsman Router Crafter on Ebay. I need the right router to use to cut flutes, spirals, hollow spirals, etc., on it. The maximum stock the Crafter Router will take is
3"x3" square by about 36" I think.
Here is my dilema, there are so many different brands of routers out there, I don't know which one would be best for me. I'm guessing it should be a plunge router (as you can tell, I am just learning), but I don't need a top of the line one because it is just for a hobby, not commercial use. I've looked at DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Black and Decker... I'm guessing I should have one that is variable speed and at least 2hp...
Help
Phill
phillger51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Phill

The Porter Cable 690 works well you don't need a plunge router for the jig..a speed control box is a must have item with the 690 PC..if you can put the bucks out pickup a Sears combo setup (2hp ) router for about 100.oo it also works well and it comes with a VS device built in..

Router Speed Control

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillger51 View Post
Good morning everyone.
Here is a "loaded" question from a "newbie": I just won a Craftsman Router Crafter on Ebay. I need the right router to use to cut flutes, spirals, hollow spirals, etc., on it. The maximum stock the Crafter Router will take is
3"x3" square by about 36" I think.
Here is my dilema, there are so many different brands of routers out there, I don't know which one would be best for me. I'm guessing it should be a plunge router (as you can tell, I am just learning), but I don't need a top of the line one because it is just for a hobby, not commercial use. I've looked at DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Black and Decker... I'm guessing I should have one that is variable speed and at least 2hp...
Help
Phill


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0081.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	37437  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0076a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	37438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0080.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	37439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0089.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	37440  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Phill
Posts: 14
 
Default

Thank you, BJ, a hundred bucks is doable. I'll get the Craftsman. I just checked my old router out and it is a 3/4 horse Craftsman set at 25k rpm.

Been in my little 10x13 shop all morning trying to figure out where in the world I'm going to put 2 more lathes, lol.
phillger51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Phill

Your Welcome,,your old Crfatsman will do the job fine with the speed control box, if it can take on 1/2" shank bits if not a new router is in order.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

I have two of the router lathes and they are bolted to some plywood that I rack up on the wall to save the foot print for other big tools that must have the big foot print.The rack is just a rack like device for racking up wood on the wall..

Easy on easy off the rack.

===

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillger51 View Post
Thank you, BJ, a hundred bucks is doable. I'll get the Craftsman. I just checked my old router out and it is a 3/4 horse Craftsman set at 25k rpm.

Been in my little 10x13 shop all morning trying to figure out where in the world I'm going to put 2 more lathes, lol.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1300.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	37444  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1301.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	37445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1302.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	37446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1303.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	37447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1305.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	37448  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 08-20-2010 at 05:46 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Retired Moderator
 
BigJimAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 3,503
     
Default

BJ... This is the first time I've seen a RC fully set up with a template. Do you have a shot of your stock after using that template? I can see the size change at the bit will be less but to these untrained and inexperienced eyes it looks like one heckuva change in diameter!

Check out that new high-tech cordless router.. wireless and no recharging required!!
BigJimAK is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillger51 View Post
Good morning everyone.
Here is a "loaded" question from a "newbie": I just won a Craftsman Router Crafter on Ebay. I need the right router to use to cut flutes, spirals, hollow spirals, etc., on it. The maximum stock the Crafter Router will take is
3"x3" square by about 36" I think.
Here is my dilema, there are so many different brands of routers out there, I don't know which one would be best for me. I'm guessing it should be a plunge router (as you can tell, I am just learning), but I don't need a top of the line one because it is just for a hobby, not commercial use. I've looked at DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Black and Decker... I'm guessing I should have one that is variable speed and at least 2hp...
Help
Phill
Hi Phil:

Routers don't wear out, they get broken. I had a box of Craftsman tools looking for broken parts that were never found. The Craftsman box hit the garbage can this year, drill, saw, 2 sanders, router! If you have the money to burn, the PC is one of the more expensive routers on the market. On many models you'll still have to buy a speed control which somewhat encumbers hand use. Rather incongruous in my mind.

On your router lathe, the determining factor is the depth of cut. Take a repeated shallow cut with a narrow bit and you can use a cheap trimmer. The wider the bit and the deeper the cut, the more power you'll need. Also if you setup to take a wide swath each cut, you'll need a heavier router. I guess it all comes down to how you work and what you want to do. My suggestion is that you start with a 1/2" chuck fixed base router in the 2 HP range, exclusively for the router lathe. If you can get one that comes with a fixed and plunge base, you can mount the fixed base to the router lathe and use the plunge base for other stuff in the shop. If you're going to go with a plunge router, get one that is fully versatile and go for the >3 hp. If you can find one, an Hitachi M12V is the most versatile but difficult to find now that they've stopped making it. It will work with your router lathe but can also be used for a wide variety of other jobs and is the only router that will fit most of the 25 router methods.

Remember, you do not buy just one router. You collect routers. Each has its own personality and each will find its own niche in your shop.

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Jim

I didn't take a shot after the job,, sorrry,,, the template is a max template thing, if you look at the template you will see a center line on it, if I when down to that line the stock would be gone, so to say one master template for many jobs..

========

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimAK View Post
BJ... This is the first time I've seen a RC fully set up with a template. Do you have a shot of your stock after using that template? I can see the size change at the bit will be less but to these untrained and inexperienced eyes it looks like one heckuva change in diameter!



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Ron

I must disagree with you again, Many PC routers come with the speed control built in and soft start,,the older work horse PC 690 is the only one that needs the speed control box the norm.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no....54_346&fsc=11

The newer Craftsman routers all come the many extra items,light,VS,soft start,etc. I will agree the older routers are junk, but they have a place in the wood shop not in the router table, just not made to work upside down most of the time..

The bigger 3 / 3 1/2hp routers are just to big for the router lathe, too much mass, it takes a fine touch most of the time..it's like saying you need to use a shovel on the normal lathe.. the trim router is to small..
The Craftsman router lathe was setup with a Sears 3/4hp router and setup with 1/4" collet..

All I can say pickup one of the router lathes and try it out, if you don't like you can sale it off easy..

====

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthunbs View Post
Hi Phil:

Routers don't wear out, they get broken. I had a box of Craftsman tools looking for broken parts that were never found. The Craftsman box hit the garbage can this year, drill, saw, 2 sanders, router! If you have the money to burn, the PC is one of the more expensive routers on the market. On many models you'll still have to buy a speed control which somewhat encumbers hand use. Rather incongruous in my mind.

On your router lathe, the determining factor is the depth of cut. Take a repeated shallow cut with a narrow bit and you can use a cheap trimmer. The wider the bit and the deeper the cut, the more power you'll need. Also if you setup to take a wide swath each cut, you'll need a heavier router. I guess it all comes down to how you work and what you want to do. My suggestion is that you start with a 1/2" chuck fixed base router in the 2 HP range, exclusively for the router lathe. If you can get one that comes with a fixed and plunge base, you can mount the fixed base to the router lathe and use the plunge base for other stuff in the shop. If you're going to go with a plunge router, get one that is fully versatile and go for the >3 hp. If you can find one, an Hitachi M12V is the most versatile but difficult to find now that they've stopped making it. It will work with your router lathe but can also be used for a wide variety of other jobs and is the only router that will fit most of the 25 router methods.

Remember, you do not buy just one router. You collect routers. Each has its own personality and each will find its own niche in your shop.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 08-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Phill
Posts: 14
 
Default

Thanks for the info, BJ. For now, I think I'll just "practice with my old Craftsman 3/4hp router and 1/4" collet... Gonna be a tight couple of months, I'm thinkin'....
phillger51 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
First Name: N/a
Posts: 1
 
Default

I wrote this message but did not see how to send it, so it may not have got thru. I need for a Porter Cable 1100 model router a thumb nut replacement. I stripped the threads in the thumb nut. The threads on the screw that tightens the collar seem to be OK. I am talking about the collar that squeezes the motor housing, so it will not turn but hold the depth setting in-place. I cannot find parts for this old model 1100 listed with any of the on-line suppliers. William DuBose
William DuBose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixing Bosch 1617 Router fixed base with Craftsman professional router sf_basilix Starting Off 17 10-11-2012 05:20 PM
Router Recall (PC, SEARS, RYOBI) Birdflu General Routing 5 02-23-2012 10:01 PM
Which Router To Get Etc? Gaia General Routing 10 02-24-2010 04:52 PM
How do I mount a Router to a table demaX Table-mounted Routing 3 04-16-2009 06:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome