Router crafter/ router lathe candle stick - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jack
Posts: 918
 
Default Router crafter/ router lathe candle stick

Well I mentioned earlier that i was hoping to incorporate this tool into some Christmas gifts. I have attached a few photos, it was a chore. One of my boys wanted to make a candle stick holder with this unit so I bought a chunk of maple and out to the barn we went. First I discovered I don't have the right bit so we tried a compromise, (won't do that again), I started with a V bit and wanted to come along behind with a round over bit. Nothing doing, you can see some off the errors in the photos. I had difficulty lining up centers, too much slop in the tool itself, some of this was from the wood coming loose from its moorings, and some from the way the carriage would jerk along the tubes. And never, NEVER, under any circumstances try to back the router up. This causes the router to climb out of the flute and ruin the piece. Unless your 14 and you think, "Hey, this is cool, I can live with those imperfections!" Sure, but can mom?

Next we moved to the lathe and tried turning a base for the candle stick. I bought both of these tools used. The lathe has a few issues, but I think by summers warmer weather I will have over come them.

Noah is quite proud of his work, I was very happy to have him out in the shop with me, and honestly, I know mom will love it, with all its little mistakes!

It seems the pictures are not in order, but you'll figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1224001116.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	40098  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1224001116a.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	40099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1224001116b.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	40100  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1224001126.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	40101  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1224001327.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	40102  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1224001554a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	40103  

Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_1224001418.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	40104  

Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_1224001418a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	40105  


Jack


He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

If you cannot stand behind our troops, (and I understand, no judgement here), then please stand in front of them, remember, they're willing to stand in front of you!
Jack Wilson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Hi Jack,

That's some darn fancy woodworking for a young fellow (even an older one too)

I know Mom will be very proud of it.
Bob N is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,222
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

Hi Jack,

Sounds like you had a 'man's' day in the shop.

Moms are very forgiving.....

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Jack and Noah ,looking good ,use some WD40 on the tubes to stop the jerking, run the router up and down a time or two to get it to side nice and free b/4 you power up the router, put the dead center on the tait end ,a little deeper ,say about a 5/8" deep..this will kelp and the work, as a safety item also the router can and will kick it off the center if it hangs up..the Craftsman has a down fall with the router mounting plate, make a wedge block that fits under the router to keep the router at the right height at max,lift.The CanDo (Blue-One)router lathe I have fixed that error with plate that can move up or down, you can make one that will fit the Craftsman if you want to update it next year..

Most plunge bits will work but here's a link to some just for the router lathe.
Magnate

==========



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wilson View Post
Well I mentioned earlier that i was hoping to incorporate this tool into some Christmas gifts. I have attached a few photos, it was a chore. One of my boys wanted to make a candle stick holder with this unit so I bought a chunk of maple and out to the barn we went. First I discovered I don't have the right bit so we tried a compromise, (won't do that again), I started with a V bit and wanted to come along behind with a round over bit. Nothing doing, you can see some off the errors in the photos. I had difficulty lining up centers, too much slop in the tool itself, some of this was from the wood coming loose from its moorings, and some from the way the carriage would jerk along the tubes. And never, NEVER, under any circumstances try to back the router up. This causes the router to climb out of the flute and ruin the piece. Unless your 14 and you think, "Hey, this is cool, I can live with those imperfections!" Sure, but can mom?

Next we moved to the lathe and tried turning a base for the candle stick. I bought both of these tools used. The lathe has a few issues, but I think by summers warmer weather I will have over come them.

Noah is quite proud of his work, I was very happy to have him out in the shop with me, and honestly, I know mom will love it, with all its little mistakes!

It seems the pictures are not in order, but you'll figure it out.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1029.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	40106  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 12-24-2010 at 05:26 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jack
Posts: 918
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi Jack and Noah, the Craftsman has a down fall with the router mounting plate, make a wedge block that fits under the router to keep the router at the right height at max,lift.The CanDo (Blue-One)router lathe I have fixed that error with plate that can move up or down, you can make one that will fit the Craftsman if you want to update it next year..
==========
Hey Bob, thanks for the tip,I don't quite follow, but I will say the the CanDo model looks far more substantial than the sears.

What does the wedge block provide? My router flips right over when I tip it back, is that what the wedge prevents?

Jack


He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

If you cannot stand behind our troops, (and I understand, no judgement here), then please stand in front of them, remember, they're willing to stand in front of you!
Jack Wilson is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Jack

The wedge,, when you lift the router up to it's max the angle of the bit is off, the higher the angle the more it's off to the stock, so to say you can't drop the bit back in to the slot without moving the router to one side or the other, the wedge or angle plate takes that error out....it keeps the bit at a 90 deg. to the stock...like it should be all the way down the pass...

I will say the blue one is double the Sears in almost all ways. I put a live center on the one I have plus a template board and a way not to use the tubes for a guide points..and a small motor to help sand down the stock..


=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wilson View Post
Hey Bob, thanks for the tip,I don't quite follow, but I will say the the CanDo model looks far more substantial than the sears.

What does the wedge block provide? My router flips right over when I tip it back, is that what the wedge prevents?



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Retired Moderator
 
CanuckGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Deb
Posts: 3,132
 
Send a message via MSN to CanuckGal
Default

That's pretty awesome Jack. Great job Noah! A nice piece and some great memories made today!

EGO postulo , EGO venalicium , EGO incidere.
I measured, I marked, I cut.
Latin instructions for firewood.

Get the Router Workshop Video Series Online!
CanuckGal is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jack
Posts: 918
 
Default

Noah and I thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. And yes, momma loved her gift, we all knew she would!

Jack


He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

If you cannot stand behind our troops, (and I understand, no judgement here), then please stand in front of them, remember, they're willing to stand in front of you!
Jack Wilson is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Jack Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jack
Posts: 918
 
Default

Bob, I totally gotcha on the angle thing. I noticed that, while there may be a work around we were in a bit of a hurry as it was Christmas eve and the children exchange their gifts with each other and give us anything they have gotten for us on Christmas eve. Then on Christmas day we give them the gifts we have for them. All that to say it needed to be done that night. I looked up Cando but found NOTHING about it online.

Jack


He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

If you cannot stand behind our troops, (and I understand, no judgement here), then please stand in front of them, remember, they're willing to stand in front of you!
Jack Wilson is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Jack

see below

=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wilson View Post
Bob, I totally gotcha on the angle thing. I noticed that, while there may be a work around we were in a bit of a hurry as it was Christmas eve and the children exchange their gifts with each other and give us anything they have gotten for us on Christmas eve. Then on Christmas day we give them the gifts we have for them. All that to say it needed to be done that night. I looked up Cando but found NOTHING about it online.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cando.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	40121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cando2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	40122  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cando3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	40124  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RouterLathe sherwood.pdf (911.4 KB, 87 views)

"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 12-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Router my way reible General Routing 21 12-08-2018 12:06 PM
First Benchtop Router Table, get a plate or go bare? silentblackhat Table-mounted Routing 38 05-30-2012 03:30 AM
owner of a canwood router lathe summit outdoor products Tools and Woodworking 0 12-30-2009 12:42 PM
Replacement Router Bits for the Craftsman Router Crafter Brian in Burlington Router Bits - Types and Usage 1 11-17-2009 12:33 PM
cable for router crafter DougO Jigs and Fixtures 9 07-01-2009 01:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome