Dewalt 611pk collet - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Zurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Burt
Posts: 81
 
Default Dewalt 611pk collet

Just opened the Amazon package for the 611. No 1/2" collet. Checking around, it seems like a 1/2" collet is no included. Is this so?

Where does one get a collet to fit this router? Initial google search didn't turn up anything.
Zurt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

It's a 1/4" shaft router only

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurt View Post
Just opened the Amazon package for the 611. No 1/2" collet. Checking around, it seems like a 1/2" collet is no included. Is this so?

Where does one get a collet to fit this router? Initial google search didn't turn up anything.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Zurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Burt
Posts: 81
 
Default

After using a flush trimmer I realized that it probably wouldn't do as a 1/2". However, it is a very fun router. The weight is nice and the handling is very good.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, your choice, I really need a second router with a 1/2" collet. I don't have any intention of sending the 611 back but I'm not budgeted to buy a 4th router.

BTW, when I searched for 611 w 1/2" collet I got a lot of hits but they must have been deleted because I could not find any reference to 1/2" collets anywhere.

One good thing about this router is it's easier to make test cuts for techniques that I'm somewhat apprehensive about.
Zurt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Burt

What did you want to do with it, most of the 1/2" shank bits can be had in the 1/4" shanks,,that's right like the small panel cutters as well..but you will need to put out some more money out for a bigger hole base plate like the Milescraft that will let you use up to a 2 " OD bit...and yes the 611 has the power to spin them.

I can tell you how to use 1/2" diam.bits in it but the last time I told someone how to do it I got tons of neg.feed back from other members so I will pass this time..but you will also need to put out more money also..and have a metal lathe.

==========



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurt View Post
After using a flush trimmer I realized that it probably wouldn't do as a 1/2". However, it is a very fun router. The weight is nice and the handling is very good.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, your choice, I really need a second router with a 1/2" collet. I don't have any intention of sending the 611 back but I'm not budgeted to buy a 4th router.

BTW, when I searched for 611 w 1/2" collet I got a lot of hits but they must have been deleted because I could not find any reference to 1/2" collets anywhere.

One good thing about this router is it's easier to make test cuts for techniques that I'm somewhat apprehensive about.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 01-30-2011 at 12:01 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Zurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Burt
Posts: 81
 
Default

I have all the bits I need...I think. Most are 1/2" shanks. I have a very few 1/4" shanks but that could change. I don't want to duplicate because I'm not the Bank of Obama. Mostly, what would be good for this router is the finishing touches like a trimmer, which I have and round overs which I have in 1/2".

My current project is the construction of tissue box covers. So far, the wife loves them. As my skills progress, I add a few more "touches." One project for the 611 will be for hinges.

I'd like to get into inlays which I think this router would be terrific for since it is so light and easily maneuverable. Any hints there are appreciated.

But, now I"m rambling...
Zurt is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Burt

Like they say it's time to retool, get one of the 1/4" 30 bit sets and you should have what you need..the little 611 can and will do it all..you don't need a tank router for most of the router jobs..

Super Carbide Tools items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

I have one and use it all the time..

=======



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurt View Post
I have all the bits I need...I think. Most are 1/2" shanks. I have a very few 1/4" shanks but that could change. I don't want to duplicate because I'm not the Bank of Obama. Mostly, what would be good for this router is the finishing touches like a trimmer, which I have and round overs which I have in 1/2".

My current project is the construction of tissue box covers. So far, the wife loves them. As my skills progress, I add a few more "touches." One project for the 611 will be for hinges.

I'd like to get into inlays which I think this router would be terrific for since it is so light and easily maneuverable. Any hints there are appreciated.

But, now I"m rambling...



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Zurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Burt
Posts: 81
 
Default

Bob J.,
Your post makes a lot of sense. I'll probably pick this set up and not worry about having to buy another router. Since a lot of my work is small, this could help out.

Thanks,
Burt
Zurt is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Zurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Burt
Posts: 81
 
Default

Just bought the set from ebay. Thought about it overnight and it made a lot of sense.
Thanks for that tip!

Burt
Zurt is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Sounds great Burt, now go out and pickup a Milescraft base plate so you can use the bigger OD bits in the router...note some of the bits are 1 3/8"/1 1/2" OD and will not fit into the 611 stock base plate..

=======

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurt View Post
Just bought the set from ebay. Thought about it overnight and it made a lot of sense.
Thanks for that tip!

Burt



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 01-30-2011 at 12:07 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stuck Collet Dewalt 625 ogee General Routing 12 11-10-2018 11:56 AM
DeWalt 611PK bobj3 Portable Routing 9 12-29-2010 03:18 AM
dewalt 621 collet question diegoh2 General Routing 3 04-20-2010 10:34 PM
Already Problems neuschu New Member Introductions 11 12-15-2009 08:01 AM
Where buy 1/2" collet DeWalt 621? charleyb General Routing 5 10-07-2009 10:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome