Router Jumps - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 7
 
Default Router Jumps

I am attempting to make a mission style bed. The foot board calls for me to make twenty mortises along two 5 inch wide boards. I then glue the boards together. The slats are then put down the mortise. I make cuts two inches wide and ten inches long using a straight cut router bit. The first several cuts are fine but at some point the the router seems to jump. It tears the sides of the cuts and sometimes tears out the wood. I am using red oak. I just sent the router bit out to be sharpened. Is the problem a dull router bit, messed up wood grain or just bad technique?
windrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

N/A, the trick is to rout a dado the length of the boards and cut some spacers to fill the area between the slats. Once it is glued up you wont even notice.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: United States
First Name: pat
Posts: 1,053
 
Default

I suspect, with a stick that big, you're hand routing?
And if you are, 2 edge guides (one on each side of the work) will trap the router on the stick. Now, with you in control (not the router controlling you) the cutter won't smash into the mortice wall.
Quillman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

" using a straight cut router bit " = it sounds like you are using the wrong type of router bit, you need to use a bit that will lift the chips out of the slot and use your vac pickup tube on your router to suck the chips out and away..

Most all straight router bits will just let the chips go around and around and at some point the router will jump over them..

MLCS solid carbide router bits

====

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I am attempting to make a mission style bed. The foot board calls for me to make twenty mortises along two 5 inch wide boards. I then glue the boards together. The slats are then put down the mortise. I make cuts two inches wide and ten inches long using a straight cut router bit. The first several cuts are fine but at some point the the router seems to jump. It tears the sides of the cuts and sometimes tears out the wood. I am using red oak. I just sent the router bit out to be sharpened. Is the problem a dull router bit, messed up wood grain or just bad technique?



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Registered User
 
derek willis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Derek
Posts: 988
 
Default

They,ve said it all, but, the industrial way is what Mike suggested and also the way I have done it.



A friend is a good egg even if they are slightly cracked!

Derek

Last edited by Mike; 06-01-2011 at 08:23 AM.
derek willis is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek willis View Post
They,ve said it all, but, the industrial way is what Mike suggested and also the ay I have done it.
Derek

I've never seen it done that way in industry, far too much cleaning up for volume production. Thos guys use Rye or Bacchi multi slot mortisers or Maka muklti-head mortisers. In small batch work I'd do it using a hand router, straight cutter, slot jig (a saddle-style jig gives much better support for the base of the router) , guide bush and vacuum to clear the waste produced - or alternatively on a square chisel mortiser

Regards

Phil
Phil P is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 7
 
Default

Thanks for the info. All are true. (Hand held router and long cuts). THe "chips" did pile up quickly. Will get a up spirl bit and stronger side bar guides. Thanks
windrider is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

N/A, this method is recommended by the Woodsmith Shop as seen on PBS and I think you may be able to watch the video on their site. It has also been recommended by Wood magazine.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Registered User
 
derek willis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Derek
Posts: 988
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Derek

I've never seen it done that way in industry, far too much cleaning up for volume production. Thos guys use Rye or Bacchi multi slot mortisers or Maka muklti-head mortisers. In small batch work I'd do it using a hand router, straight cutter, slot jig (a saddle-style jig gives much better support for the base of the router) , guide bush and vacuum to clear the waste produced - or alternatively on a square chisel mortiser

Regards

Phil
Perhas you haven't, but when I visited "Reprodux" furniture factory, that's the way they did it, and when fitting staircase spindles to strings and handrails it is done that way as well, even supplied ready cut in most cases.



A friend is a good egg even if they are slightly cracked!

Derek
derek willis is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
First Name: James
Posts: 2,304
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
N/A, this method is recommended by the Woodsmith Shop as seen on PBS and I think you may be able to watch the video on their site. It has also been recommended by Wood magazine.
This was on the Woodsmith Shop episode that aired on 9-20-2010 at least on Direct TV. I still have it saved. It's on their site season 4 episode #401 Craftsman Coffee Table.

Free Woodworking Plans, Downloads and Videos - Woodsmith Shop

James
Whittier, CA.

Have a nice & safe day!
jlord is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorized Router Lift - Eagle Lake Style johnwnixon Table-mounted Routing 14 05-23-2012 04:51 PM
Router Recall (PC, SEARS, RYOBI) Birdflu General Routing 5 02-23-2012 10:01 PM
Which Router To Get Etc? Gaia General Routing 10 02-24-2010 04:52 PM
RouterForums.com and Oak-Park.com - September 2006 Contest!! Mark Contests Archive 72 10-01-2006 12:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome