Large quarter round? - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 4
 
Default Large quarter round?

Hello! I am new to routers, don't even have one, but am exploring the idea of making my own quarter round. I have an old house, and I have removed the carper to refinish the wood underneath. In one room, there are boards that are up to 1 3/4 from the wall. I wanted to get some 1 3/4 inch quarter round. This doesn't seem to exist. I called a millwork place, and they want $300+ to get me 1 3/4 quarter round (2.99/ft + 150 setup) and 7-10 business days. I figured I could get some 2x2's and round them out and call it a day. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks
cokewithvanilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 15,663
 
Default

You can't with a router. The largest 1/4 round is 1.5" radius for a router. Any larger is too large a diameter. 1.75 would be 1.75 x 2 plus the diameter of the bearing which would be minimum .5" which would put you art 4" diameter.I have a 1.5 inch and it just fits the opening in the base of my router, a big 3.5 hp plunge.

I would also suggest that a 1.75" quarter round is going to look totally off balanced and I don't think you will be happy with the results. I would figure out a practical way of filling the gap and then use baseboard possibly with a small quarter round added on if needed.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 4
 
Default

Thanks for the reply.

The house is 1935, so the baseboard is like 10 inches, with a quarter round cap. It looks like it originally had some giant quarter round at the bottom (from the line on the wood). The molding also has 2 pieces running through it... i can't really stack boards
cokewithvanilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 27,184
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokewithvanilla View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The house is 1935, so the baseboard is like 10 inches, with a quarter round cap. It looks like it originally had some giant quarter round at the bottom (from the line on the wood). The molding also has 2 pieces running through it... i can't really stack boards
good chance you had shoe molding at the base....
quarter round that large was probably cut on a shaper...
or it wasn't true quarter round but thumbnail..
Molding & Edging :: Edging :: X-Large Thumbnail Table Edge Router Bit - 1/2" Shank - Yonico 13143
how many lineal feet of molding do you need???
do you have a table saw???
spoke shave???
Lee Valley Tools - Veritas® Concave Spokeshave

BTW... IRL a 2x2 is 1.5 inches square on a good day...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Clay
Posts: 575
 
Default

Welcome to the forum. Some pics of what you are dealing would help.
fire65 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Andy
Posts: 577
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryville Chuck View Post
You can't with a router. The largest 1/4 round is 1.5" radius for a router. Any larger is too large a diameter. 1.75 would be 1.75 x 2 plus the diameter of the bearing which would be minimum .5" which would put you art 4" diameter.I have a 1.5 inch and it just fits the opening in the base of my router, a big 3.5 hp plunge.

I would also suggest that a 1.75" quarter round is going to look totally off balanced and I don't think you will be happy with the results. I would figure out a practical way of filling the gap and then use baseboard possibly with a small quarter round added on if needed.
Yes a 1.75" radius quarter round sounds huge, it would really draw the eye I think. If it's necessary to cover a gap that large I'd go for a something with a flatter profile, like a 1x2 laid flat with a 3/4" radius on the edge.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a "one-eighth round" router bit? So you could make a large quarter-round with two passes, without the bit needing to have such a large diameter?
AndyL is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 4
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Yes a 1.75" radius quarter round sounds huge, it would really draw the eye I think. If it's necessary to cover a gap that large I'd go for a something with a flatter profile, like a 1x2 laid flat with a 3/4" radius on the edge.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a "one-eighth round" router bit? So you could make a large quarter-round with two passes, without the bit needing to have such a large diameter?

Problem is, the wall already has a baseboard that has accents and whatnot. Adding 2 additional pieces may attract more attention than the large bullnose. Who knows. I am selling the house. I've even considered putting 1 3/4 inch crown molding down. I just need it done.

Ill send pics as soon as I can,... it doesn't let me attach pictures in the normal way cause of post count.
cokewithvanilla is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Moderation Team
 
Semipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
First Name: John_*
Posts: 6,591
 
Default

You are allowed pictures as long as they are on your computer hardrive.
Semipro is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Andy
Posts: 577
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokewithvanilla View Post
Problem is, the wall already has a baseboard that has accents and whatnot. Adding 2 additional pieces may attract more attention than the large bullnose. Who knows. I am selling the house. I've even considered putting 1 3/4 inch crown molding down. I just need it done.
I wasn't suggesting adding 2 pieces, just a 1x2 with a rounded-over edge. The same as your original idea of a rounded-over 2x2, but lower in profile, and easy to make with a normal router.
AndyL is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered User
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: David
Posts: 766
 
Default giant 1/4 round

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokewithvanilla View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The house is 1935, so the baseboard is like 10 inches, with a quarter round cap. It looks like it originally had some giant quarter round at the bottom (from the line on the wood). The molding also has 2 pieces running through it... i can't really stack boards
Could the missing trim have been possibly inside cornor mold.

When the enemy is with in range, so are you....

When the enemy is in range, so are you.
Bushwhacker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Round over bit. On 1.5mm & 3mm Wood. Possible? mouchmouch Router Bits - Types and Usage 3 05-06-2013 10:32 AM
Sign Making: Round Nose Bits newmexico Sign Creation 3 08-16-2012 04:02 PM
3/4 inch pine, what roundover bit? Karter Router Bits - Types and Usage 9 02-21-2011 04:57 PM
new to forum/ quarter round query sway1963 New Member Introductions 3 02-02-2010 11:47 PM
Looking to commission woodworker for round end table Hockeystyx Tools and Woodworking 1 10-26-2009 10:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome