Every problem has a solution. finding it sometimes takes time. Our problem was the next door neighbors up higher in their back yard, with their seats aimed so they could look down on us, instead of at their back yard, or at their other neighbors on the same level with them.. This was last spring, and we debated the options.
First, tried the plastic planters with cedar trellises I made, but growth rate with flowers was too slow. More debating and searching for solutions.
Then they put up the White Stuff and a toilet bowl planter in the yard.
So the next try was a planter with a trellis, and it worked like a charm. Also we planted Victoria Bushes which will work even better in about 3-4 years.
The planter is a basic cedar box with two 17: square plastic liners one in each side of the box. Cedar 2x4’s, cedar fence slats, and cedar decking was used.
The trellis was made to be taken off if the planter was to be relocated in the future. The 2x4 sides fit over the stiles of the box and 2 stainless lag bolts in each side hold it well.
Slats were made from rough cedar fence slats which determined the height of the grid. Didn’t have a planer, so all were sized on a 4” jointer and ripped to 1 “ wide on the TS.
Finally we get to the router. Made a jig. I’m a firm believer in Mike”s “it doesn’t have to be pretty, it just has to work”. Mine was made from parts from other jigs. It was used to make the pieces for the side rails and stiles to hold the slats in the grid.
I made it based on a box joint jig, but instead of moving the work on the jig, I moved the jig on the work. I routed the first slot with the jig across the stacked pieces that hold the slats in the rails and stiles. The piece on the bottom marked in black is a piece of a slat that was added after the first rout across the stack. From then on, it was put that slat in the last routed slot to do the next one and keep moving on down to the end of the stack.
Obviously the photo ready to route has the clamp upside down, sure couldn't route it like that.
I screwed the two side pieces on the stiles first because there were more of them than the vertical ones, and laid the horizontal slats in place.
Then I screwed the bottom piece in place, inserted the vertical slats in place, and jiggled the top ends to fit in the top piece. Trim pieces were screwed on the rails and stiles to close the open sides of the slats.
All fasteners were stainless steel and thankfully no finish was desired. Hate finish on outside wood, when time takes it’s toll and refinishing comes along. Cedar and Teak age gracefully on their own.
The top of the grid is 82 inches off the deck, and the top of the dirt in the planters is 20 inches off the deck. I only offer those dimensions so you can see how tall 1 red and 1 yellow grape tomato plant can grow. Today they are over a foot taller than the top of the grid and loaded with tomatoes.
Makes a great privacy fence, so mission accomplished.
Jon, this was not considered a square box by SWMBO with the Grid on it.