Pantograph Routing - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10
 
Default Pantograph Routing

Has anyone ever made signs with a pantograph. I have one but am not sure how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
BAMILLER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMILLER
Has anyone ever made signs with a pantograph. I have one but am not sure how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
I have or had (haven't seen it in a while) one made by Sears. I found the script letters a while back (sheets of paper with the abc's in a script style).

I found it hard to use. As long you do a single letter it was fine but having to move it to get the right kerning and location made it less then wonderful. I also found it hard to move the router and keep the pointer tracing the letter unless you work in very uniform wood (cedar, redwood without many knots etc).

I did use it with better results when doing other things then lettering. Now I wish I knew what I did with it..... I may have loaned it to someone??? I would like to revisit it now......

Ed
reible is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10
 
Default

Ed,
Thanks for the input. Mine is a sears and by looking at it I can see the problems you are talking about.
Terry
BAMILLER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:13 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
 
Default

Por favor si alguien me puede ayudar.
Necesito adquirir videos donde enseñen el uso de la router, qué hago ??
Please
I need to buy videos where I can learn the use of the router, S.O.S.
My email: [email protected]
gush is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:26 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 137
 
Default Route-A-Form

Hi Bamiller -

I recently discovered this site and I've been reading through a lot of messages. Are you talking about Sears Route-A-Form? I have not used this for years but I do still have one. I made animals for the kids when they were small and I've had it since around 1970. Yes - My kids are now older than 35. WOW - that means my first router is really old. The route-a-form takes a bit of setup but I remember it to be fairly simple once you get past the setup. I haven't used this for 35 years so I can't get into any detail. Perhaps there is another old timer out there that can gove you more detail.

I can e-mail you the 4 page owners manual if that's what you need? I hope that helps. I scanned the owners manual into an Adobe Acrobat format (.PDF) which for some reason I can not attach to this note.

My email address is [email protected]t.net.

Bill

Last edited by Billwolley; 03-29-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Billwolley is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwolley
Hi Bamiller -

I recently discovered this site and I've been reading through a lot of messages. Are you talking about Sears Route-A-Form? I have not used this for years but I do still have one. I made animals for the kids when they were small and I've had it since around 1970. Yes - My kids are now older than 35. WOW - that means my first router is really old. The route-a-form takes a bit of setup but I remember it to be fairly simple once you get past the setup.

I can e-mail you the 4 page owners manual of that's what you need? I hope that helps. I scanned the owners manual into an Adobe Acrobat format (.PDF) which for some reason I can not attach to this note.

My email address is [email protected].

Bill
Take a look at this post and see if yours looks like mine:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=984

I also noticed the nylon "washers" on mine are falling apart, I haven't used it in so long I don't remember if it was that way or if it happened in storage. I don't seem to see my manual with my collection of sears tool manuals..... I'll email you 'cause I'd like a copy.

I have see pdf listed as an attachment type but I have never tried to attach one..... if it doesn't work maybe we can get Mark to fix it.

Ed
reible is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
 
Default

Trend make a pantograph for routers called the ROUTASKETCH where the image being followed is above the router with a pointer following the image (letters, pics etc) while the router follows where you put the pointer.
http://www.trend-usa.com/rsketch.html
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routasketch/
Dewy is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1
 
Default

The signs are easy to make and very outstanding when using the old english template letters.
you will need a bench area about 4 feet deep and a extended 2x2 foot board from the table to put your letters on so your stylus arm hangs over the table.on to the board.
Then here is the tricky part...when you are setting up the letters,they have to be square with the center on=f the arms and the router bit has to be in the center of the board and when you change letters you have to put the router into the lower right dot.on letter pge and then pull out the letter,then insert the new letter and then loosen the clamps of the board and then slide down the board and router on board at same time to left handed dot on new letter..seeems like a olot but it only takes a a minute or two once you have the hang of it.
shawn is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered User
 
reible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,702
   
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn
The signs are easy to make and very outstanding when using the old english template letters.
you will need a bench area about 4 feet deep and a extended 2x2 foot board from the table to put your letters on so your stylus arm hangs over the table.on to the board.
Then here is the tricky part...when you are setting up the letters,they have to be square with the center on=f the arms and the router bit has to be in the center of the board and when you change letters you have to put the router into the lower right dot.on letter pge and then pull out the letter,then insert the new letter and then loosen the clamps of the board and then slide down the board and router on board at same time to left handed dot on new letter..seeems like a olot but it only takes a a minute or two once you have the hang of it.
Shawn could you take a picture of your set-up and how you move from letter to letter? I did this some years back but was not happy trying to get the letter to letter spacing to look right and since I've dug mine out I'd like to try again.

Ed
reible is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10
 
Default

Shawn,
Thanks for your post. It clears up a lot for me.
Terry
BAMILLER is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Routing Template Verlin Garrett Jigs and Fixtures 16 08-17-2019 10:12 PM
Freehand routing Visteonguy General Routing 53 07-12-2013 05:33 AM
Craftsman Deluxe Router Pantograph wayoutwest General Routing 1 09-24-2007 07:17 AM
Dust Colection for routing Dados KentWW Table-mounted Routing 3 01-10-2007 03:18 PM
Routing end grain Pop_pop1 Table-mounted Routing 8 09-22-2004 01:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome