Good idea or no - Router Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Country: United States
First Name: Dustin
Posts: 50
 
Default Good idea or no

I ordered a dewalt 618 router kit that comes with the fixed, plunge and d-handle fixed bases from lowes. After perusing here, I'm thinking I should cancel the order and get a Bosch 1617evspk.

Main use is in a router table but I want plunge capability also. I need the capability of a 1/2" collet. My current Bosch router is pretty old and only has a 1/4" collet.

Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hunterguy86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Registered User
 
Ratbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Jeff
Posts: 278
 
Default

Seems like there have been a few issues lately with the 618s when table mounted. You'll find lots of Bosch love here on this forum, but if you haven't considered Triton yet have a look at the TRA001. It has a great set of features for table mounted applications, and with 3 1/4 HP it's a beast!
Murtu01 likes this.
Ratbob is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,282
 
Default

Can't go wrong with the Bosch...easily slips out of the fixed base in the table and into the plunge base for freehand.

If you consider the Triton, know that you will need to take out/reinstall the spring and dismount it from the table when switching from table to freehand and reverse...but it is a phenomenal table router...

Send the Dewalt back, get the Bosch 1617EVSPK (PK designates the fixed/plunge package). Get the dust collection accessory for freehand and the VAC005 hose for table and freehand (unless you have something already)...

I'm sure you'll hear similar from others...
Murtu01 likes this.

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GIVE A MAN A FISH and you feed him for a day.
TEACH HIM HOW TO FISH and you feed him for his life time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nickp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered User
 
Ratbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Jeff
Posts: 278
 
Default

All good points Nick, except that the Triton works fine out of the table in 'fixed base' operation without installing the spring. Mine sets up and adjusts easily with the table plate still attached. It just takes seconds to install the spring if you need to plunge.
Ratbob is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 4,156
 
Default

Love my Triton 001 - - - my permanent table router.

HJ
Murtu01 likes this.
honesttjohn is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 18,110
 
Default

Seems like its a question of whether you intend to use the router only in the table. I consider the Triton TRA001 to be about perfect for table use, but too hefty for me to handle as a hand held.

If you have to use one router for table and free hand use, my choice would be the 1617 EVSPK. The DeWalt is OK, but having looked both over very carefully, the Bosch seemed to have a more solid build.

I used the Bosch in my table for several years and it handled the work just fine, but then, I wasn't using large door making bits at that time. Whether you get the DeWalt or Bosch, when using larger bits you'll want to keep your cuts down to an 8th of an inch per pass. With the Triton, I don't worry much about that.

Cancellation option is nice, isn't it?
DesertRatTom is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 29,176
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterguy86 View Post
I ordered a dewalt 618 router kit that comes with the fixed, plunge and d-handle fixed bases from lowes. After perusing here, I'm thinking I should cancel the order and get a Bosch 1617evspk.

Main use is in a router table but I want plunge capability also. I need the capability of a 1/2" collet. My current Bosch router is pretty old and only has a 1/4" collet.

Thoughts?
inna heart beat...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 29,176
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp View Post
Can't go wrong with the Bosch...easily slips out of the fixed base in the table and into the plunge base for freehand.

If you consider the Triton, know that you will need to take out/reinstall the spring and dismount it from the table when switching from table to freehand and reverse...but it is a phenomenal table router...

Send the Dewalt back, get the Bosch 1617EVSPK (PK designates the fixed/plunge package). Get the dust collection accessory for freehand and the VAC005 hose for table and freehand (unless you have something already)...

I'm sure you'll hear similar from others...
or get this and have it all...

RA1054 Deluxe Router Guide | Bosch Power Tools

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 29,176
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbob View Post
Seems like there have been a few issues lately with the 618s when table mounted. You'll find lots of Bosch love here on this forum, but if you haven't considered Triton yet have a look at the TRA001. It has a great set of features for table mounted applications, and with 3 1/4 HP it's a beast!
wasn't there a thread on defeating the lock out feature on the Triton to simplify table mounted bit changing...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
Ratbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Jeff
Posts: 278
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
wasn't there a thread on defeating the lock out feature on the Triton to simplify table mounted bit changing...
There is Stick, but I wasn't addressing what I consider to be a great safety feature, and a very minor inconvenience. It doesn't take much effort to toggle the switch when doing a bit change, and I hate the ER. Too many sick people!
Ratbob is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forum Suggestion Thread Mark Site Help and Suggestions 131 02-08-2015 09:33 AM
Re-calming wood for turnings good idea? Stan Richardson Woodturning and Lathes 10 08-11-2013 11:19 AM
Help with my Bed Idea FordTrax General Routing 12 11-27-2012 06:46 PM
Making puzzles, looking for a jig idea kweinert Jigs and Fixtures 3 08-31-2009 07:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome