Rounding corners of table insert - Router Forums
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Country: United States
First Name: Randy
Posts: 139
 
Default Rounding corners of table insert

I made my own aluminum mounting plate for my router which will end up in my future table top.
I cut the plate with a table saw, then cleaned up the edges with my router. OK, ...so I now have a nice pretty and square plate.
I'm curious about a couple of things.
What's the "typical" radius of a store bought insert plate's corners? Mine it totally custom, so I suppose that's not really an issue.

I have a 1/2 inch bit with a top mount bearing. If I use that bit to round the aluminum plate's corners, will I also use a 1/2 inch bit to cut the corners into the table top?
I'll need to make patterns of course to round the plate and then to cut the hole in the table top.
A half inch bit will cut a 1/4" radius in the table top.
......... so when I round the corners on the aluminum insert plate, I assume that I need to make the pattern with a 1/4 radius and that I can use the same 1/2" top mount bit to make the cut.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around making inside and outside corners that mate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rounding corners on the top plate.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	317562  

ranman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

Randy - keep in mind that you are not routing a hole in the corners of the plate - you are rounding the corners. You will make a template that will allow you to (inside) round the hole in your table. Then you will round the corners of the plate to match that. What I'm trying to say is that you can round the corners of the plate with anything that you like because it's an outside corner.

When I recently installed a Kreg plate in a table, it called for a 3/4" radius for the inside corner of the hole I made in my table - I used a 1 1/2" forstner bit to give me that 3/4" radius.

Hope that all makes sense.

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 15,588
 
Default

The thing about a simple, shop made plate is that you will find it hard to use inserts, which can be changed to fit your different sized bits. Having the insert fit close to the bit size helps with above table dust collection. Suggestion on cutting the plate opening is good. As to cutting the opening for the bit, it needs to be a little bigger than the biggest bit you expect to use, which means for all smaller bits, you'll have way to large an opening. This is why most of us use commercial plates, some of which now have twist lock inserts instead of the 3-screw (where'd that darn screw go?) veriety of old. Kreg makes some nice aluminum plates for reasonable prices. And they have already rounded corners.
jj777746 likes this.

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Country: United States
First Name: Randy
Posts: 139
 
Default

Thanks, I know I'm rounding the corners of the plate.
If I made a rectangular template to cut the hole in the table top, a 1/2 inch router bit would make an automatic 1/4" radius in the corners.

Now if I made a template with the same 1/4" radius, any diameter flush trim bit with a top bearing would follow and cut the correct radius. I happen to have a 1/2" bit. I'm just rounding the corners a little.

I suppose I could use a larger diameter Forstner bit to make the corners in the table top, and then make a pattern for the insert plate with the same radius for rounding the corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rounding corners on the top plate  w template.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	317570  

ranman is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Country: United States
First Name: Randy
Posts: 139
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
The thing about a simple, shop made plate is that you will find it hard to use inserts, which can be changed to fit your different sized bits. Having the insert fit close to the bit size helps with above table dust collection. Suggestion on cutting the plate opening is good. As to cutting the opening for the bit, it needs to be a little bigger than the biggest bit you expect to use, which means for all smaller bits, you'll have way to large an opening. This is why most of us use commercial plates, some of which now have twist lock inserts instead of the 3-screw (where'd that darn screw go?) veriety of old. Kreg makes some nice aluminum plates for reasonable prices. And they have already rounded corners.
Way too late. My plate is part of a lift I made......... it's just about done. I went a wee bit off the deep end constructing it. One of these days I'll post some photos of it.
ranman is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman View Post
Thanks, I know I'm rounding the corners of the plate.
If I made a rectangular template to cut the hole in the table top, a 1/2 inch router bit would make an automatic 1/4" radius in the corners.

Now if I made a template with the same 1/4" radius, any diameter flush trim bit with a top bearing would follow and cut the correct radius. I happen to have a 1/2" bit. I'm just rounding the corners a little.

I suppose I could use a larger diameter Forstner bit to make the corners in the table top, and then make a pattern for the insert plate with the same radius for rounding the corners.
Correct - I think we were saying the same thing in two different ways. I only used the Kreg with a 3/4" radius as an example, but you could use what ever radius you want.
Be sure to post some pics when you're done - I'm interested in seeing the finished product - sounds good.

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Country: United States
First Name: Randy
Posts: 139
 
Default

I assumed that we were on the same page.
I will post some photos, but not before I do a bit more wet sanding with the 1500 grit and hit it with the buffer and mag wheel polish.
DaninVan and vchiarelli like this.
ranman is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,859
 
Default

For simplicity use the same radius as the bit you will use to rout the recess. Or leave it square and then chisel the corners square. Either way works. Whichever you think is easiest for you. It's kind of like the same issue with mortises and tenons. Do you square the mortise or round the tenon? Whichever is easiest. Both work.
vchiarelli and hawkeye10 like this.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Registered User
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Don
Posts: 2,603
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryville Chuck View Post
For simplicity use the same radius as the bit you will use to rout the recess. Or leave it square and then chisel the corners square. Either way works. Whichever you think is easiest for you. It's kind of like the same issue with mortises and tenons. Do you square the mortise or round the tenon? Whichever is easiest. Both work.
I vote this to be the best answer but all answers are good.

Don in Murfreesboro,Tn.

Measure once cut twice and it's still to short.
hawkeye10 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Contributor of the Month
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 869
 
Default

I had a somewhat similar situation. I need to make rounded corner applied edging for a table top. The table top needed its corners radiused and the applied edging needed its inside corners radiused to match the table top corner radius. Plus the applied edging needed its outside corner radiused too. I found an article on the net with instructions on how to make the templates....it involved several steps but the templates came out exact. In your situation I would do the table top radius first assuming you will use the forstner bit or some other available template. Then do the plate to match......a template for the plate is easily done on the router table.
JIMMIEM is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Router Table for Incra LS Positoner completed! Michael H Table-mounted Routing 35 03-19-2015 12:40 PM
New Router Table insert Plate? MT Stringer Table-mounted Routing 2 05-11-2014 09:46 AM
DIY router table insert table orck Table-mounted Routing 4 04-14-2014 07:27 AM
Insert plate vs. Direct bolt to router table Trumanthedog Table-mounted Routing 13 06-01-2010 11:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome