Wishful thinking - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,646
 
Default Wishful thinking

Well I thought I was being a little to optimistic and I was right . Burnt up a brand spanking new Freud bit . The one I used has the bearing at the end .
This is what's left of it after the smoke show



What I was trying to accomplish is I wanted to cut 3 separate fairly accurate holes in a two by six so I could mount 3 single electrical outlets .
So I built a template from mdf and made it so I could slide it down from one hole to the next location and re secure it thinking this would be the most efficient way to cut perfect rectangular holes.



Here's a pic with it secured to the 2/6



So this is the position the 2/6 is in as I'm trying to route threw the wood . I drilled a hole so that the router bit could go threw and follow the jig



But because I'm lazy and didn't use a jig saw to remove the majority of the material first , it just ended up destroying the bit . I was surprised as it's just a cheap pine 2/6 and I thought it would go threw like butter .
Well I'm debating to buy the other straight bit tomorrow that has the bearing at the base instead , thinking that maybe because it has a cutter head on it's tip that it will do the job .
Or am I wasting another 30 bucks?

I donít always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate

Last edited by RainMan 2.0; 07-28-2014 at 10:42 PM.
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Clay
Posts: 575
 
Default

Looks like the bearing clogged up for some reason, possibly not quite deep enough. Did you try to remove all the material in one pass?
Probably should have jig sawed most of it and cleaned it up with your bit.
I had this happen on some solid surface tops and stopped using a bearing and went to bushings and straight bits.
Can you put a new bearing on or is the bit fried?
You might remove the bearing and run that bit with a bushing, just a thought, I hate throwing away a bit.
fire65 is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,646
 
Default

Yes I had no option but to remove 1.5 inches of material deep while using this straight bit as it's bearing is on the tip and needed to follow my template .
But if I turn the template around and buy the other bit I mentioned , I could take a little out at a time so I believe it will work . Looks like it's back to the store

I donít always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Moderation Team
 
Semipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
First Name: John_*
Posts: 6,427
 
Default

Rick
Kind of looks like old-school carpentry, where they used to use fire to drill holes.
Semipro is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:04 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 24,606
 
Default

time to retire some of the lazy... just some of it mind ya...
the cut wasn't cleaning out and your bit loaded up with pine sap and you see the results...
either hog out the waste and trim/clean up with the router or get an up spiral and multi-pass in plunge mode...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and TaxidermyĒ
Stick486 is online now  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 688
 
Default

Rick, Use a Jig Saw from start to finish.
gmercer_48083 is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
First Name: del
Posts: 782
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan1 View Post
Well I thought I was being a little to optimistic and I was right . Burnt up a brand spanking new Freud bit . The one I used has the bearing at the end .
This is what's left of it after the smoke show



What I was trying to accomplish is I wanted to cut 3 separate fairly accurate holes in a two by six so I could mount 3 single electrical outlets .
So I built a template from mdf and made it so I could slide it down from one hole to the next location and re secure it thinking this would be the most efficient way to cut perfect rectangular holes.



Here's a pic with it secured to the 2/6



So this is the position the 2/6 is in as I'm trying to route threw the wood . I drilled a hole so that the router bit could go threw and follow the jig



But because I'm lazy and didn't use a jig saw to remove the majority of the material first , it just ended up destroying the bit . I was surprised as it's just a cheap pine 2/6 and I thought it would go threw like butter .
Well I'm debating to buy the other straight bit tomorrow that has the bearing at the base instead , thinking that maybe because it has a cutter head on it's tip that it will do the job .
Or am I wasting another 30 bucks?
why don't you try a spiral bit ? upcut ? instead of a streight bit, i belive the sprial will nove the chips out of the way better, the streight bit can't get rid of the chips as good so they get stuck in the bit and than it get's hot , my 2 cents good luck

del schisler
port st. lucie, florida
del schisler is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: John
Posts: 90
 
Default

Your bit might not be as bad as you think. Try some oven cleaner on it to get the tar off.
Fraise is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 24,606
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraise View Post
Your bit might not be as bad as you think. Try some oven cleaner on it to get the tar off.
no on the oven cleaner....
it's very detrimental to the brazing...

ToolCrib.com's Ultimate Guide to Cleaning Saw Blades and Router Bits |

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...475#post821475

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and TaxidermyĒ

Last edited by Stick486; 07-29-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Stick486 is online now  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,646
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
why don't you try a spiral bit ? upcut ? instead of a streight bit, i belive the sprial will nove the chips out of the way better, the streight bit can't get rid of the chips as good so they get stuck in the bit and than it get's hot , my 2 cents good luck
I don't know what a spiral bit is yet lol . It doesn't work with a jig though does it?
Or do you free hand it and get as close to the edges as possible?


Update: ok I see what a spiral bit is . Have to see what's in town,...not sue if I need the one with a bearing , or does the side of the shaft act as a guide?

In my defence it was probably over a 100 degrees in my garage which wasn't really helping things . Had to go in the house and get a towel to help keep sweat from dripping on my router causing a short

I donít always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate

Last edited by RainMan 2.0; 07-29-2014 at 08:35 AM.
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idle Time And Just Thinking Jerry Bowen Lobby 1 03-06-2014 02:46 PM
Got to thinking!! IC31 Tools and Woodworking 3 04-20-2013 09:26 AM
Time to start thinking about Christmas presents RLego General Routing 7 07-16-2012 01:51 PM
Thinking about a ShopBot kartracer63 CNC Routing 21 02-27-2012 09:08 PM
Thinking about DIY'ing a Gifkins dovtail / box joint jig.... Duane867 Jigs and Fixtures 15 11-27-2009 09:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome