Update. Plain and simple...It worked great.
It was a breeze to move the router across the sled and/or move the sled along the rails. Waxing everything was a good decision on my part. Even with the heavy router in the sled, it was still easy to move.
Before starting the planing process, I put the board on the work bench and jammed it in place using bench dogs and plywood shims. I pulled and tugged, but it wouldn't budge. That made me happy. Note: In an effort to prevent tear out, I used a sacrificial board between the work piece and the rail guide nearest to me where the first pass was made. That worked prefect.
Next, I installed a stop block in the bed of the sled so the router wouldn't come in contact with the guide rail nearest to me.
Then I installed the router bit, and took a few minutes to familiarize myself with the router controls. I have this model mounted in a router table, but have never used it handheld so this was a new venture for me. Did I mention it is heavy? Yeah, it is.
With the router in plunge mode, I set the depth adjustment to just shave off a small amount, hooked up the dust collection hose to the supplied dust port on the router and to the shop vac (via Dust Deputy), then proceeded to make a pass over the entire board. Only a portion of the thickest piece showed any cut.
I set the depth for another shallow cut and repeated the process. I ran the router at half speed and it just loafed along, as well it should since I was taking such a small cut each time. After making a third skim pass, the board was ready to flip.
I turned it over, left the router at the last depth setting and made a skim cut. It became obvious that the panel wasn't flat, so I made another skim cut. This time, the board came out smooth.
Note: I checked the board thickness in four places (two along each edge) and all readings were 43/64ths inch. That's basically 11/16 inch for you rednecks in the crowd!
With it laying on the work bench, there is no wobble or anything...just flat!
One shelf ready to be cut to final size and installed. It will be supporting either the cable box or the Blu Ray player in the entertainment center
I am building so it should be sturdy enough. Lessons learned
1) Planing the board from left to right (in similar fashion to ripping one on a table saw), I came to realize it was hard to keep the router in the same line so I could cut about an inch on each pass. Waxing everything made it easy for the router to move. Almost too easy.
I am thinking about creating some sort of indexing system so I can make a controlled pass. I have the Kreg shelf pin drilling jig and that would work for drilling a line of holes along each side of the sled bed. Then I could create a stop block with a pair of pins to fit in the holes and aid the positioning of the router. Still thinking on it but it should be an easy task.
2) I may use a sacrificial board in future planing jobs so I can use a hot glue gun to anchor the work piece. That would probably make set up go faster. The bench dogs did work just fine. However, I don't want to be gluing anything to my work bench.
OK, this project is complete. Time to dismantle and get back on my project at hand (entertainment center).
Thanks for following along. Hope you find some of this info helpful and/or inspiring.