Routing Rabbets for Ladder Rungs
Although the design for this ships ladder that I was generally following used rabbets to locate the treads/rungs, I initially was not going to do it this way. I was going to use a 2x4 block underneath and screw the rungs in from two directions. Then I realized I could probably use the jig that I made for sawing the center waste sections of the handholds for routing such rabbets. And I definitely liked the thought of cleaner lines.
So, I started checking it out. I had to widen the jig for the rabbets because the saw jig was designed so the saw cuts would be about 1/8" inside of the final dimension, 1 1/2". That was easy as it it amounted to simply moving one side only. Doing that and applying a fence at the 20º angle the treads needed to be, a trial run showed that it worked very nicely. Nice to be able to reuse that jig.
I had dismantled the taped up dust hood, so I made this trial without any dust hood and of course dust went everywhere. The hoods I ordered are supposed to arrive tomorrow but tracking it via UPS they may not arrive until Thurs. I don't want to wait, but I do not want to proceed without the hoods and I don't have a clue how effective they will actually be. Decisions. Patience. Ugh!
"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."