Rung Pockets Done
Results of tonight's work, finished the other 15 pockets. I had to flip the fence on the pocket routing jig for the opposite stringer, to have mirror images.
As I was working on the second stringer, the bit seemed to be dulling, requiring more pressure to move it through the wood and having tear out on the exit, which I really hated as it is the upper side where little hands might scrape. It wasn't until I got finished and inside and saw the photos I took. One, showing how the new dust hood completely encloses the open side of the router base, revealed what I think was the cause. The speed setting had gotten turned down to "5", visible in the photo I was going to post about how much I liked the new dust hood. Both symptoms make sense now and the bit is probably not nearly as dull as I was thinking.
Hardly any dust/chips escaped, except at the start when the opening in the base overhung the fence, allowing a little bit to escape. I had noticed yesterday that chips were flying out of the 3/8" edge guide rod mounting holes. I plugged them with 3/8" dowel.
I was thinking it was ready for screws and glue, but now I want to think about making gussets.
"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."