I was able to get some measure of success on my attempt yesterday. I got an ill fitting half-blind dovetail after I got it setup near where it needed to be. I had a bit of gap at the bottom of the pins, and the heads of the pins were a bit wider than the tails were, and it would not fit without some force. Said force slightly tore out the edges of the pins. There is some adjustment to be made, but I'm close.
The only bad thing is that it appears that my base has bowed outward for some reason, now there's a crown to it. The guide fits into the base, but it took screwing it on, then using pliers to further screw it down for it to recess into the base fully.