Building a Circle Cutting Jig - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
darrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Darrin
Posts: 219
 
Send a message via Skype™ to darrink
Default Building a Circle Cutting Jig

I had some time to spend in the shop this past weekend. Our shop was closed on Friday and Monday, so I wound up with a four day weekend. I was burning the midnight oil out in the shop, taking advantage of the time off, and not having to get up at my usual 4:00 AM.

I have been wanting to make some bowls and trays with my router, but needed a way to cut a round hole to make a template. I have also been wanting to make a circle cutting jig, so I set forth to do just that.

This is by no means my design, as a matter of fact, I copied the one that Harry uses, and I know James built one like it. This is just my version, and I thought I would document the build to share, and hopefully help others.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Building a Circle Cutting Jig.pdf (5.67 MB, 457 views)

Darrin
Sealy, TX

Last edited by darrink; 09-10-2011 at 05:19 PM.
darrink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,197
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

Boy, Darrin, I am jealous...

You put a lot of work into that jig, and it shows.

Congratulations.....

Now we want photos of the bowls.........VBG.

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Registered User
 
dutchman 46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Howard
Posts: 2,825
 
Default

Nice work, Darin! I will copy if You don't mind?

John 3:16

Please fill out your profile, It helps us to know you better
dutchman 46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
darrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Darrin
Posts: 219
 
Send a message via Skype™ to darrink
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2170 View Post
Boy, Darrin, I am jealous...

You put a lot of work into that jig, and it shows.

Congratulations.....

Now we want photos of the bowls.........VBG.
James,
Thanks James!

I do intend to get pictures of the bowls, all the way from making the templates to finishing the bowls.

Darrin
Sealy, TX
darrink is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
darrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Darrin
Posts: 219
 
Send a message via Skype™ to darrink
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman 46 View Post
Nice work, Darin! I will copy if You don't mind?
Thanks Howard! You copy and distribute all you want; if it will motivate someone else to build it, that would be great. The one thing I forgot to add was the distance from the end of the jig to the first pivot hole, and the distances between the rest of them. I will post that information this evening.

Darrin
Sealy, TX
darrink is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,391
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrink View Post
Thanks Howard! You copy and distribute all you want; if it will motivate someone else to build it, that would be great. The one thing I forgot to add was the distance from the end of the jig to the first pivot hole, and the distances between the rest of them. I will post that information this evening.
What a first class outcome Darrin and the photo-shoot, well, what can I say, it's just super.
The one thing that I did differently was the mounting of the rods, which for the Makita 3612/C is 12mm, I actually routed 12mm holes that made the rods an interference fit, and before driving them in I ground flats and drilled 1/4" countersunk holes in the mounting block. After driving in the rods I poured super strength Araldite into the holes and the rods have remained in place during 11 years of regular work.
This shot clearly shows these Araldite filled holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circle-jig1b.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	45934  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Nice job Darrin. You can heat the Formica with a heat gun so it will bend to shape. Wear gloves to prevent burns; you can cut a form slightly smaller than your opening from scrap wood to help get the shape. You might want to put a slight chamfer on the jig edges; Rockler may still have a PC chamfering bit on clearance for a couple dollars.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Darrin

Nice job on the jig and the PDF file
At one time back in 2007 I had one like that and then I found out about the Jasper jig and the old cir.jig got reworked for other jobs I don't have the rods and the holding block any more must be on some other jig maybe..

Once you have a Jasper jig you will put all other cir.jigs on the wall..with the Jasper you don't need fix it to the router in anyway it's a simple drop the guide in place and cut the cir.out and it will work on about 95% of routers without pushing any rods in to the base of the router..

Amazon.com: Jasper 200J Model 200 Circle Cutting Jig for Plunge Router: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Jasper 400J Model 400 Router Circle Cutting Jig: Home Improvement
======

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrink View Post
I had some time to spend in the shop this past weekend. Our shop was closed on Friday and Monday, so I wound up with a four day weekend. I was burning the midnight oil out in the shop, taking advantage of the time off, and not having to get up at my usual 4:00 AM.

I have been wanting to make some bowls and trays with my router, but needed a way to cut a round hole to make a template. I have also been wanting to make a circle cutting jig, so I set forth to do just that.

This is by no means my design, as a matter of fact, I copied the one that Harry uses, and I know James built one like it. This just my version, and I thought I would document the build to share, and hopefully help others.

Thanks!


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6668.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	45935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6669.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	45936  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6670.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	45937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6671.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	45938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6672.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	45939  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6673.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	45940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6674.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	45941  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6675.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	45942  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
darrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Darrin
Posts: 219
 
Send a message via Skype™ to darrink
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
What a first class outcome Darrin and the photo-shoot, well, what can I say, it's just super.
The one thing that I did differently was the mounting of the rods, which for the Makita 3612/C is 12mm, I actually routed 12mm holes that made the rods an interference fit, and before driving them in I ground flats and drilled 1/4" countersunk holes in the mounting block. After driving in the rods I poured super strength Araldite into the holes and the rods have remained in place during 11 years of regular work.
This shot clearly shows these Araldite filled holes.

Thanks Harry! Yours is much cleaner looking without the nuts and washers, that's for sure. I had contemplated using threaded inserts and set screws to hold the rods in place, but I didn't think the wood would hold up to the pressure exerted by the set screws. Another idea was to use a threaded insert that the rods would thread right into, but I did not have any that size. I remembered that you had epoxied yours in place, but I did not have confidence in that method, but it appears you have proved it does hold up. I was not able to find any 12MM rod locally, so I settled for the 7/16" (~11.11mm).

Anyway, it was an enjoyable build and my dad came over a couple of times when he seen the lights on in the shop and we visited, which is always good.

Darrin
Sealy, TX
darrink is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
darrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Darrin
Posts: 219
 
Send a message via Skype™ to darrink
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Nice job Darrin. You can heat the Formica with a heat gun so it will bend to shape. Wear gloves to prevent burns; you can cut a form slightly smaller than your opening from scrap wood to help get the shape. You might want to put a slight chamfer on the jig edges; Rockler may still have a PC chamfering bit on clearance for a couple dollars.
Thanks Mike! I may try the heat gun on another project. Since I have waxed the MDF, I doubt the contact cement would hold on this one. I used a file to take the sharp edges off of the laminate after I trimmed it with the flush trim bit. Yet another step I left out of the photo shoot.

Darrin
Sealy, TX

Last edited by darrink; 09-07-2011 at 08:20 AM.
darrink is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P-Cable Edge guide as circle jig? sourdough Portable Routing 4 05-13-2011 10:24 AM
Circle jig for Colt? sourdough Jigs and Fixtures 2 02-03-2011 04:30 PM
First Box Joints w/a Hart Design Jig Wild Rag Jigs and Fixtures 2 03-23-2009 09:54 AM
Circle jig for Bosch 1619EVS tech406 Jigs and Fixtures 11 02-19-2009 05:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome