Router or Table saw for Box Joints - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Greg
Posts: 18
 
Default Router or Table saw for Box Joints

I have been wanting to make a jig to make box joints that either works on my table saw,router table or both. I just do this for a hobby so I am not looking for production,just an end result that looks good and is not a hassle to make. I have plans to make a jig for box joints to use on both the router table and/or table saw. I am looking for someone that has expirience in this area and want to know your preferance if you have one on this. I also own an Omnijig that has capabilities (with certain attachments) to do the same. Does anybody have any input on this?Does anyone perfer the router table,Omnijig or table saw?

Greg
7ROUTERS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

How about one that can be used on both..tools..looks like a easy one to copy, you can also just buy parts from Woodhaven

Woodhaven Box Joint Jig HD - YouTube

Woodhaven - Woodworking Tools, Supply & Equipment

The one that's hard to do on the router table is the 1/8" wide finger( box joint) but not on the table saw..makes this type of jig a real plus for the shop..

===



Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ROUTERS View Post
I have been wanting to make a jig to make box joints that either works on my table saw,router table or both. I just do this for a hobby so I am not looking for production,just an end result that looks good and is not a hassle to make. I have plans to make a jig for box joints to use on both the router table and/or table saw. I am looking for someone that has expirience in this area and want to know your preferance if you have one on this. I also own an Omnijig that has capabilities (with certain attachments) to do the same. Does anybody have any input on this?Does anyone perfer the router table,Omnijig or table saw?

Greg



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 11-14-2011 at 11:38 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered User
 
wbh1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 766
 
Default

And so once again I find myself wanting to thank Bob for his finesse with on topic replies complete with the 'links' that matter!.

10 seconds into my first time through the video I noticed the miter attached to the jig used what I will call 'common tracking' , as opposed to the 'rinky dink crapolla tracking' found on some lower end shop tools (including my first and so far only TS). I threw up a pic of both the track and the miter that mates with it. Many, if not most track based accessories require a uniform width 'rectangular' through-way along the entire track.

My first attempt to make a crude box point jig is stalled by with the 'track compatibility' twist.

One inspirational aspect of the video is that it supports the idea of joining a 'light weight' jig to the table's existing miter totally eliminating the need to build a 'huge sled'. And since I did luck into a RAS, I don't need a 'monster cross cut sled' as much as I thought I did last month.

Perhaps more important, in less than 3 minutes, it showed how simple this box joint thing can be with either a TS or a RT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0079.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	47413  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	47414  


wbh1963 is flowing with the grain in Arlington, Washington, USA

A day without curls is like a day without sunshine!
wbh1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered User
 
zarpman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
First Name: N/a Lou
Posts: 66
 
Default

Greg, I sent away to Amazon and purchased the Freud SBOX8 box joint blade for 1/4'' and 3/8'' box joints for my table saw. The blade is super smooth and does an excellent job. Some craftsmen perfer the router table however I do mine for small drawers (etc.) on the table saw. I sent for a factory jig and both work well as long as you back up your material with scrap. Good Luck zarpman Melbourne, Fl.
zarpman is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered User
 
Ken Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 483
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbh1963 View Post
And so once again I find myself wanting to thank Bob for his finesse with on topic replies complete with the 'links' that matter!.
I assure you if it is available online Bob is going to find it, or if it is nearly impossible to build Bob has accomplished the task and made it look easy.

I have the Woodhaven Box Joint Jig and really like its simplicity. I don't have a table saw, but it does work well on the router table. I made backing boards of MDF for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch to prevent tear out in the joints I most often cut. In my opinion Woodhaven has some of the finest tools available for down and dirty woodworking. I also have one of their planers and the cutters that go with it and it does an excellent job at leveling and planing boards with a router.

When something is advertised as being foolproof there is always a better class of fool that comes along to prove them wrong.
Ken Bee is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Greg
Posts: 18
 
Default Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi

How about one that can be used on both..tools..looks like a easy one to copy, you can also just buy parts from Woodhaven

Woodhaven Box Joint Jig HD - YouTube

Woodhaven - Woodworking Tools, Supply & Equipment

The one that's hard to do on the router table is the 1/8" wide finger( box joint) but not on the table saw..makes this type of jig a real plus for the shop..

===
There is a similar jig offered by Woodcraft as well.They both look excellent. I just found some plans to make a shop made jig that I think I am going to try.Fully adjustable from 1/8"-13/16". It came out of a magazine from Woodsmith. Bob, it sounds like you have made these joints before.Besides the 1/8" being hard to do on the Router Table,do you have a preferance on making joints on a TS or Router Table ?

Thanks,
Greg
7ROUTERS is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Greg

I do like the router table over the table saw, the saw blade get the hair on the back of my neck up most of the time...

I have made my own box jig for the table saw but it was just a bit lame if I recall I got it out of WoodSmith mag.no true way to index the cuts like the Woodhaven jig for all the sizes (1/8" to 2" ) I'm going to buy just that part and make a copy of .
Woodhaven jig.

===

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ROUTERS View Post
There is a similar jig offered by Woodcraft as well.They both look excellent. I just found some plans to make a shop made jig that I think I am going to try.Fully adjustable from 1/8"-13/16". It came out of a magazine from Woodsmith. Bob, it sounds like you have made these joints before.Besides the 1/8" being hard to do on the Router Table,do you have a preferance on making joints on a TS or Router Table ?

Thanks,
Greg



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Greg
Posts: 18
 
Default Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi Greg

I do like the router table over the table saw, the saw blade get the hair on the back of my neck up most of the time...

I have made my own box jig for the table saw but it was just a bit lame if I recall I got it out of WoodSmith mag.no true way to index the cuts like the Woodhaven jig for all the sizes (1/8" to 2" ) I'm going to buy just that part and make a copy of .
Woodhaven jig.

===
I will proceed with the plans I have for the box joint jig and share with all. It is universal as far as using it on the TS or Router Table. I also just received my box joint accessories for my Porter Cable Omnijig. That looks like it is limited to either 1/4" or 1/2" box joints though. I will also let you know how that goes.
7ROUTERS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Router my way reible General Routing 21 12-08-2018 12:06 PM
Problem mounting Dewalt Router to Caftsman Table Saw apollo2000 General Routing 15 01-26-2015 03:30 AM
Dust Collection on Table Saw Router Table Extension Guitarman1 Table-mounted Routing 0 10-02-2011 03:32 PM
My first router table : a few questions matt1710 Table-mounted Routing 24 12-04-2010 07:25 AM
First and only (I hope!) Router table CanuckBeaver Table-mounted Routing 14 10-04-2010 06:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome