Router Forums

Router Forums (https://www.routerforums.com/forum.php)
-   Jigs and Fixtures (https://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/)
-   -   Dovetail jigs (https://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/31627-dovetail-jigs.html)

Cochese 11-22-2011 11:44 AM

Dovetail jigs
 
I know it's not always accurate to just go by looks, but it seems like the Rockler, HF and Peachtree jigs are, if not the same, very close.

I was thinking it might be nice to add templates from the more supported versions to the HF base, if that was possible. Anyone have any insight to this?

bobj3 11-22-2011 11:53 AM

HI

Most are made by WoodStock :)

" add templates " not to sure what you mean the templates they come with them are fine it's the wood stock and the clamping system that has the down fall with them.
I did rework the HF one and now it works right every time, see the rework in my uploads..

====
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocheseuga (Post 257185)
I know it's not always accurate to just go by looks, but it seems like the Rockler, HF and Peachtree jigs are, if not the same, very close.

I was thinking it might be nice to add templates from the more supported versions to the HF base, if that was possible. Anyone have any insight to this?




Cochese 11-22-2011 12:03 PM

Different style templates, I should have said.

Last couple of times I went into Rockler they had a few of their templates on clearance.

bobj3 11-22-2011 12:08 PM

HI

You can get them also from Grizzly a little lower in the price..

http://www.grizzly.com/search/search...l%20bit&page=3
http://www.grizzly.com/search/search...l%20bit&page=2

====

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocheseuga (Post 257189)
Different style templates, I should have said.

Last couple of times I went into Rockler they had a few of their templates on clearance.




Cochese 11-22-2011 12:44 PM

Thanks Bob. I'll check out your uploads a bit later. I have an idea for easy setup, but want to see what you've come up with first.

bobj3 11-22-2011 01:33 PM

HI

Here's a link

http://www.routerforums.com/general-...etail-jig.html

The real key for the HF jig and others is to use a dovetail bit with a bearing on it, in that way the bit is always dead on unlike using the guides that are never dead on with the shank of the bit, just a little bit off and the dovetails will not fit right..that's a little tip that took me 3 years of working with dovetail jigs.. :)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-2-...-4-Shank/C1660
http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-2-...4-Shank/C1660Z

==

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocheseuga (Post 257198)
Thanks Bob. I'll check out your uploads a bit later. I have an idea for easy setup, but want to see what you've come up with first.




garycurtis 11-22-2011 03:42 PM

Where does one find DT bits with a bearing on the shank? It makes sense.

bobj3 11-22-2011 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gary

See link above but you can add a bearing(s) to any dovetail bit the longer the better..with lock collars..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-pc-1-4-Sh...item20bed05507

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops..._guides_anchor

===

Quote:

Originally Posted by garycurtis (Post 257213)
Where does one find DT bits with a bearing on the shank? It makes sense.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.