fixed, but removable fence stops - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 21
 
Default fixed, but removable fence stops

I have a bit of a unique problem that im trying to solve. I use about 6 positions on my router fence very consistently, and in fairly random order.

Id like to put some stop in either a t-track, or a miter track behind the fence at these positions, so that i can just push the fence up against them, and not have to measure placement every time (my eyesight is pretty terrible, it takes me quite some time to align a fence to 1/16th).

However, the catch is that when that stop wasnt in use, it would need to get out of the way somehow so that the fence could be pushed over it until it hit the next further back stop. I was thinking removable pegs at those locations, but ill lose the pegs for sure, and want something more fixed, maybe a metal "hinge" mechanism that flips up or something.

Any ideas?

My current table setup below, i have a combo track which the fence slides into. the miter track keeps the fence square, and the t-track is used for locking the fence down and other jogs. Im hoping i can put these "pin stops" or flip stops in the t track somehow. But when not in use, they need to hide away below table depth in the track.

If i had tracks on the side of my table, i could use traditional flip stops, but i dont.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	router table 2.png
Views:	168
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	52062  

jbrukardt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Chris
Posts: 1,298
 
Default

i like the peg idea, sort of like bench dogs ...

how about a few more holes in the base of the fence or on the side of the table or somewhere else out of the way to store the pegs when not in use? you can also put them on strings so they wouldn't go far if they fell.
Chris Curl is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 21
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
i like the peg idea, sort of like bench dogs ...

how about a few more holes in the base of the fence or on the side of the table or somewhere else out of the way to store the pegs when not in use? you can also put them on strings so they wouldn't go far if they fell.
hmm, so heres the second question, if i use pegs, what do i mount them into in the t-track? most t-track accessories have big handles that sit well above the track, im not even sure how you would secure something like a peg holder into a t-track while keeping it flush

Woodpeckers t-track block is the smallest thing ive seen

T Track Block
jbrukardt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Think about a Cribbage board setup that just sits/slides in the tee track and locked into place with set screw..the peg are no real strong but you can use 1/8" or 1/4" dowel pins,then stick up a magnet to the cabinet inside to hold them for you..

This is what I use because I don't have tee tracks. see below


===



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6430.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	52063  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6431.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	52064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0497a.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	52070  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 05-05-2012 at 12:00 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 21
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Think about a Cribbage board setup that just sits/slides in the tee track and locked into place with set screw..the peg are no real strong but you can use 1/8" or 1/4" dowel pins,then stick up a magnet to the cabinet inside to hold them for you..

===
they dont have to be very strong, theyre just gentle stop points.

Cant quite picture the "cribbage board setup" Just a rail with a bunch of holes in it?

And yeah, i guess i can lock down a 1/4 inch nut with a set screw that would keep the "board" level with the track. Just have to find a set screw of the right size
jbrukardt is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

" Cant quite picture the "cribbage board setup" Just a rail with a bunch of holes in it? " you got it..
http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Game-D...6167784&sr=1-1
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...0&site=ROCKLER
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...0&site=ROCKLER

Just drill and tap the hard board to take on a 1/4-20 set screw.

Then when you are done with your router table you can make some cribbage boards to sale or give to some mates..

===

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrukardt View Post
they dont have to be very strong, theyre just gentle stop points.

Cant quite picture the "cribbage board setup" Just a rail with a bunch of holes in it?

And yeah, i guess i can lock down a 1/4 inch nut with a set screw that would keep the "board" level with the track. Just have to find a set screw of the right size



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 05-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
pal
Registered User
 
pal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: Harold
Posts: 385
 
Default

How about small brackets such as from barrel bolt screwed to the back of you fence your small pin could then just be left in there and when you wanted to move the fence just lift the pin and slide the fence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	78
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	52065  


Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein
pal is online now  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered User
 
N'awlins77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Lee
Posts: 1,622
 
Default

JB, how about this. I'm a machine shop mechanic, and I've seen something like this done in a milling machine t-slots. Most metal cutting milling machines, have similar looking t-slots in their work table. I seen one shops set up where they locked down a t-bolt, using a large set-screw where you would usually have a t-bolt, at the end of the table (t-track). Then, they machined precision bars that fit in, but came above the t-slot. Where one end would hit the screwed down t-bolt, and the other end came up high enough out of the t-slot, to hit the plate they wanted to machine. Their plate, being your fence. You would make yourself a series of pairs of these bars, to the different lengths that you want your fence to stop at. They just sit in the slot, sandwiched between the dead t-nut, and your fence. Put, say a 4" long set of bars in there for one setup. Then take those out and put a longer set in, to move the fence forward. Make yourself a nice box to keep your sets of bars in, or put a whole in the ends of them and hang'em on a wall. Mark each one with the length that they set your fence at.

Dang, I think I just talked myself into making a setup like that myself!! Thanks!! LOL
N'awlins77 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 21
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'awlins77 View Post
JB, how about this. I'm a machine shop mechanic, and I've seen something like this done in a milling machine t-slots. Most metal cutting milling machines, have similar looking t-slots in their work table. I seen one shops set up where they locked down a t-bolt, using a large set-screw where you would usually have a t-bolt, at the end of the table (t-track). Then, they machined precision bars that fit in, but came above the t-slot. Where one end would hit the screwed down t-bolt, and the other end came up high enough out of the t-slot, to hit the plate they wanted to machine. Their plate, being your fence. You would make yourself a series of pairs of these bars, to the different lengths that you want your fence to stop at. They just sit in the slot, sandwiched between the dead t-nut, and your fence. Put, say a 4" long set of bars in there for one setup. Then take those out and put a longer set in, to move the fence forward. Make yourself a nice box to keep your sets of bars in, or put a whole in the ends of them and hang'em on a wall. Mark each one with the length that they set your fence at.

Dang, I think I just talked myself into making a setup like that myself!! Thanks!! LOL
I like it Easily achieved, precise, quickly interchangeable.

Hmm, now to find a good material to make them out of. Im thinking those plastic miter slot fillers, but they wont be quite tall enough.
jbrukardt is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,937
 
Default

You could make a solid stop at the farthest point and use a series of set up blocks to give you every position closer to the bit.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mule Accusquare rip fence M1050 westend Tool Reviews 9 03-02-2015 12:19 PM
A suggestion from Maurice harrysin Woodturning and Lathes 48 12-08-2013 10:16 AM
Some Thoughts on Fence Control Gilbear Table-mounted Routing 21 04-16-2010 06:38 PM
A Poor Man's adjustable Positioning Fence Stefang Table-mounted Routing 8 02-26-2010 04:22 AM
Fence and stops setting simplenik Table-mounted Routing 5 12-26-2006 11:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome