I've been having issues with my computer for about 3 weeks or more. Now it looks like I am probably going to lose all the saved pictures, the ones I can't access just now. So, dug around and found what seems to be the best picture of my router table, and I will tell you how I did it - that is, how I think I did it, things like this I seem to get spaced out while I make them, then when I'm finished I am not sure just what I did or how I did it. I am saving some pictures on my camera tho, and once I get the computer running as it should again, I will load those and see if I can't add some more detail to this thread.
This is the link to my router table. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/...CANE_BUILD.JPG
I measured it the other day and it is about 20" wide, and 18" deep. The top is all plywood. Under the plywood is a base of 2X4 pieces that are closely spaced, all glue fastening, then bolted to the bench. It is very level, along with the top, so I'm thinking what I did was assemble it upside down, on a flat surface. Then turned over, and bolted to the shelf it is on - so I can sit while using it (arthritis of the spine, bad joints). Then the back of the top was glued in place. That's one piece, with a rectangular notch in it for the plate. I think I cut that with the scrollsaw. You can't see, there's something on the top right corner, but the corner of the plywood router plate is cutt off - that is so when I make new plates (routing them with a template/pattern) I will know which side I want as the top, and it fits in snugly. There is a piece on each side that butts up to the sides of the router plate, the side pieces are glued in place also. The router plate fits very nicely in there, nice and snug, and is only held down by the weight of the router. I have 2X4 pieces that support the router plate for about 1/2" all around except for the front. That is open, to allow room for the router to swing up when you grab the front of the plate and lift, and the router just pops right up. I now drill holes in the new router plates, top right, for hanging on a nail, router and all. You could have the hole large enough to take a finger, then lift straight up, but I don't see any advantage in that, it's faster, and I think easier, as is.
The bit hole is sized so I can easily look down to see where the wrench goes when it's out of the table and changing a bit; you can have it smaller, up to you. You can see where two of the screws to hold the router to the plate are - I mark them by pointing a nail thru the screw hole of the base, then drill thru, then use a small space drill so it will take a washer, and the screw top be below the table top. That was for the original, now I have pilot holes in the master to tell me where to drill. I've got I think four routers, all with the same screw pattern. If I ever get another, with a different pattern, all I have to do is put a nail thru the screw holes of the base to mark where I need to drill. No prob.
I must have done a real good job on making those 2X4 pieces level, because the entire plywood top is nice and smooth, I can slide a small piece of wood across it just as smoothly as if it were just one piece. It's 1/2" plywood, if I didn't say. That's what I had, so that's what I used. No danger of sag, the 2X4 pieces are nicely close together. I don't use a fence, but if I did, I'd just make one that suited my needs, then clamp it at both ends. And if I wanted to use a sled with it, instead of slots, I'd just clamp a fence down, and make a sled that is guided by the fence. Probably ran about $5 or so, at the most.
I'm not real sure that's exactly how I made it, but am pretty sure I'd probably be doing it about that way if I ever make another. If I ever get this computer running the way it should, I'll take some pictures of my masters, and tell you how I made them - or at least think I made them. I'll be making some more later too, so will try to get pictures.