Has anyone had any luck building a jig to make a saddle seat for a stool? - Router Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Joseph
Posts: 21
 
Send a message via AIM to juisman
Default Has anyone had any luck building a jig to make a saddle seat for a stool?

I am trying to build a jig to carve a saddle seat stool seat. I have some ideas but I thought that I would post out here to see if anyone can save me some trouble with the experimentation process. As I am new, I am not able to post any links here but if you go to the pottery barn web site and search for stools you will see a Tibetan bar stool with a seat like I am looking for.

Thanks,

Joe
juisman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Larry
Posts: 207
 
Default

Check out Woodsmith Vol.34/No.201, I think it was the last issue. It has a Shop-Built Routher Jig for Sculping a seat.
woodie26 is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered User
 
biloxi tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
First Name: tom
Posts: 19
 
Default

As both ends are open as opposed to a dished out circular seat it would seem straight forward to me either on a a router table or a ts. A ts most likely would be faster whether you use a dado blade or not. Lay out your desired curve and starting our at the outside of the curvature place your fence to where blade is in right spot, raise the blade to appropriate height, cut all the way through seat, turn seat 180 degrees and repeat. move the fence out according to the next cut in adjust blade and repeat and keep repeating until you've hogged out the basic shape. Doing it in this manner ensures a centered removal of the major part of the waste. Then just use a spoke shave to even out the "steps (don't know what else to call it) and then sand to your finished grit and pop a finish on this. Thanx by the way I wanted to make a folding stool for the shop or maybe some for the kitchen to sit and do prep work and could not figure out a logical way to dish out the circular stool shape I was thinking of using and didn't think of this answer in shapes. I unfortunately don't own a lathe. hope this helps

later, biloxi tom and remember " DO NOT have a good day, have a WILD and WONDERFUL ONE!"
biloxi tom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Larry
Posts: 207
 
Default

With the Woodsmith Jig, that is made for round seat just do turn the jig round.
woodie26 is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Joseph
Posts: 21
 
Send a message via AIM to juisman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxi tom View Post
As both ends are open as opposed to a dished out circular seat it would seem straight forward to me either on a a router table or a ts. A ts most likely would be faster whether you use a dado blade or not. Lay out your desired curve and starting our at the outside of the curvature place your fence to where blade is in right spot, raise the blade to appropriate height, cut all the way through seat, turn seat 180 degrees and repeat. move the fence out according to the next cut in adjust blade and repeat and keep repeating until you've hogged out the basic shape. Doing it in this manner ensures a centered removal of the major part of the waste. Then just use a spoke shave to even out the "steps (don't know what else to call it) and then sand to your finished grit and pop a finish on this. Thanx by the way I wanted to make a folding stool for the shop or maybe some for the kitchen to sit and do prep work and could not figure out a logical way to dish out the circular stool shape I was thinking of using and didn't think of this answer in shapes. I unfortunately don't own a lathe. hope this helps
I plan to use a rounded jig that my router rides down and up and then use a 3/4 inch straight bit cutting out small amounts per pass. It seems to me that it will work and I will of course try on something less expensive than the maple I bought for the stool to make sure it works but I just thought if someone had done it before, they may have some pointers. I thought about the table saw but I am concerned about getting them even when I shave down the 'steps' as I have never really done any carving before. Perhaps it is easier than I am thinking.

Thanks for the advice.
juisman is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Joseph
Posts: 21
 
Send a message via AIM to juisman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie26 View Post
With the Woodsmith Jig, that is made for round seat just do turn the jig round.
I tried to email you but as I am new to this forum I was not allowed to do so. If you can post a link, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe
juisman is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Registered User
 
MAFoElffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 2,369
 
Default

Just so everyone has a visual, I'll post the pic for him.

My choices. First, fastest and easiest would be on a band saw. But sounds like you don't have that option.

Next would be on a table saw. Cove cuts at full 90 degrees to the blade using 2 cove fences. Some aren't used to this and if you don't know what you are doing...

Look up Harrysin's router ski's. He has a few threads and videos here on this forum on router ski's. I'm thinking his jig uses round rods between the sides. If you used slightly undersized rods, you could bend the rods to the desired curve, then the router shouldn't bind on that slight curve. It would then cut at that gentle angle. (Harry would be proud- another use for his jig.) I think this would actually be the best option for the OP for what he has, for minimal cost. Make up another set of normal straight rods and he has the jig for many other things.

"Don't worry, I saw this work in a cartoon once."
"Usually learning skills and tooling involves a progression of logical steps."

Last edited by MAFoElffen; 09-18-2012 at 12:46 AM.
MAFoElffen is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered User
 
biloxi tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
First Name: tom
Posts: 19
 
Default Sounds interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by juisman View Post
I plan to use a rounded jig that my router rides down and up and then use a 3/4 inch straight bit cutting out small amounts per pass. It seems to me that it will work and I will of course try on something less expensive than the maple I bought for the stool to make sure it works but I just thought if someone had done it before, they may have some pointers. I thought about the table saw but I am concerned about getting them even when I shave down the 'steps' as I have never really done any carving before. Perhaps it is easier than I am thinking.

Thanks for the advice.
The rounded jig sound interesting. You could design it using sketch up but with a squared angled bit I don't see you gaining anything over just using a router table or if you don't have one using a planer jig as in one would use to flatten a board with a router. Of course you would have to add a guide rail to that but that is just a straight edge clamped to the planer jig. Using a 3/4" will save you time but you will still need to advance the position of the cut at the next depth by only and eighth or a quarter inch at a time I feel. I particularly like the wood whisperers and a you tube jig shown in use. Just go to youtube and search for flattening a board and the choice are quite a few. If you design your rounded jig please post it for others. I would love to see it or maybe even a video of it in action!

later, biloxi tom and remember " DO NOT have a good day, have a WILD and WONDERFUL ONE!"

Last edited by biloxi tom; 09-18-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: put in wrong word in original and just now noticed
biloxi tom is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Registered User
 
biloxi tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
First Name: tom
Posts: 19
 
Default

I like the idea of curving the rods that could be very interesting. If anyone tries this please let us know how it worked out.

later, biloxi tom and remember " DO NOT have a good day, have a WILD and WONDERFUL ONE!"
biloxi tom is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Art
Posts: 1,447
 
Default

I'm with biloxi tom and Mike a table saw is the way to go (short of doing it with a bandsaw). It would take longer to build a jig and route it out then it would with the table saw. Start as biloxi tom said and rough it out then as Mike said cove it by using your miter gauge. If you are not sure what he means then do a search on making cove molding on a table saw. I like the looks of this stool and may make one myself.
mgmine is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone ever tried to make a dovetail jig? presumed_druid Jigs and Fixtures 18 09-22-2014 10:34 PM
Need to make templates & jig fishlore Jigs and Fixtures 1 10-28-2007 07:39 PM
How to make this jig S Bolton Jigs and Fixtures 9 10-05-2007 12:22 AM
New Lower Priced Leigh Dovetail Jig scrollwolf Jigs and Fixtures 1 07-08-2007 06:10 PM
Jig to make spoons Norm Johnson Jigs and Fixtures 1 10-20-2004 12:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome