A while ago I made a bunch of game boards for a Girl Scout program http://www.routerforums.com/kp91s-ga...-checkers.html
The game was quite a hit, and a few of the boards were given away as thank you gifts. My bride is running the program again in January, and asked for a couple more. I didn't want to go and buy any lumber for this project, and use up some of the stock in my garage. The two vertical boards are the new ones, the rectangular board was last years.
I have a bunch of wide poplar boards that have a lot of knots and checks in them, but are too interesting to throw out. I mixed up a bunch of epoxy to fill in the cracks and bark inclusions, and fill in a loose knot. I was hoping to end up with 3/4" boards, but ended up a little thinner due to the amount of twisting and cupping. The back sides of the boards are still a little rough in the center because I couldn't plane any further.
One board ended up mostly clear, with just one knot for character. The second board is much more interesting, and I was very worried that it was going to split right down the middle when I cut it. It feels pretty solid after all.
I haven't worked a lot with epoxy repairs in wood, and figured this was a good project to experiment. Worst case scenario, I would have to remake them. A couple of years ago these boards might have ended up as firewood, but I think this is a better use.