Macy's Power Drill From the '50s? - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
 
Default Macy's Power Drill From the '50s?

I'm asking all over because I can't find any info on this thing. I snatched it up the second I saw it because I had a feeling it was a rare find.

It's a 1/4" drill with a Jacobs chuck. It's really small. The info plate has the NY 34th street address on it. I'd guess that it's early to mid '50s by the style and the metal trigger on it but it could be 10 years younger.

It's also under their Supre-Macy brand. The exciting thing to me is that the serial number is 65H. That's it. 3 digits. Did I find something they tested the market with for a brief period and then bailed on? I suspect it will be worth more then 3 bucks in 20 years or so, especially if Macy's goes belly up and the market for vintage tools grows.

The cord needs to be replaced but it works. Somebody ripped out the grounding prong, which might help date it.

Edit: I guess it would help if I asked a question. Does anybody remember how long Macy's was making a go at the whole power tool thing? I'm finding zero information on this.

Last edited by Pherdnut; 02-04-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Pherdnut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered User
 
dutchman 46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Howard
Posts: 2,825
 
Default

Welcome to Router Forums, If anyone has that information, It would be here, or the people who supplied it to Macy's. If you can post a pic, someone might be able to give you an idea who might have produced it. And, It Is a nice find, if you like older tools.

John 3:16

Please fill out your profile, It helps us to know you better
dutchman 46 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
 
Default

Here's a pic.

The real beauty is my Craftsman from the late '60s maybe 70 though. Polished aluminum I'd guess and it came in the box it was purchased in. No reverse but it has variable speed. I have a 1/2" Milwaukee for the big grumpy jobs but I wanted something with some speed to it for finer bits. The Craftsman runs at 2400 RPM and leaves a polished bore behind. It's also surprisingly light given the all-metal construction.

My ultimate goal is to pick up some Thor silver line stuff. The drills are cool but the circ saws blow my mind. I also like those old Cummins drills with the D-handles.
Attached Images
 
Pherdnut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

I have an old Black and Decker that my Dad took off of a Liberty ship during the war I will post a picture shortly. It still works but I have not used it for anything. The label is not totally readable but it says 1/4 Standard Drill 120V 2.5Amp 3000RPM type CP anyway, it is older than I am and looks to be in better shape!!! Did I say WWI, ment WWII he wasn't that old









wwii

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.

Last edited by xplorx4; 02-05-2009 at 01:38 PM.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered User
 
dovetail_65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Dovetail
Posts: 1,610
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
Here's a pic.

The real beauty is my Craftsman from the late '60s maybe 70 though. Polished aluminum I'd guess and it came in the box it was purchased in. No reverse but it has variable speed. I have a 1/2" Milwaukee for the big grumpy jobs but I wanted something with some speed to it for finer bits. The Craftsman runs at 2400 RPM and leaves a polished bore behind. It's also surprisingly light given the all-metal construction.

My ultimate goal is to pick up some Thor silver line stuff. The drills are cool but the circ saws blow my mind. I also like those old Cummins drills with the D-handles.
Pretty, but that thing looks like it weighs 25 lbs!
dovetail_65 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered User
 
Gerard_sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Gerard (AKA: Gerry )
Posts: 246
 
Talking Try: http://www.owwm.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
I'm asking all over because I can't find any info on this thing. I snatched it up the second I saw it because I had a feeling it was a rare find.

It's a 1/4" drill with a Jacobs chuck. It's really small. The info plate has the NY 34th street address on it. I'd guess that it's early to mid '50s by the style and the metal trigger on it but it could be 10 years younger.

It's also under their Supre-Macy brand. The exciting thing to me is that the serial number is 65H. That's it. 3 digits. Did I find something they tested the market with for a brief period and then bailed on? I suspect it will be worth more then 3 bucks in 20 years or so, especially if Macy's goes belly up and the market for vintage tools grows.

The cord needs to be replaced but it works. Somebody ripped out the grounding prong, which might help date it.

Edit: I guess it would help if I asked a question. Does anybody remember how long Macy's was making a go at the whole power tool thing? I'm finding zero information on this.
The only suggestion I might make on it is for you to try the site for "old woodworking machines" or http://www.owwm.com/ they have a forum area that may be of help.

I think the grounded plug makes it more recent than the 50's, probably mid to late 60's. (IMHO)

I found an old B&D drill at a White Elephant sale at my Church. It's Jacobs chuck is locked by either a screwdriver or an Allen key. It's cord was rubber and falling apart so I replaced it. It originally had a two prong, non-polarized, cord on it which I changed to a three prong and use a suitable screw in the handle to ground it. I tore it apart, cleaned and re lubricated it also.

Pictures are attached.

Cordially,
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill-1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	19485  

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	19486  

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill-3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	19487  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacobs-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	19488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacobs-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	19489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacobs-4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	19491  

Attached Images
 
Gerard_sr is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

Interesting, Erik. I've never heard of Macy's selling tools. That might have been a New York store thing, attempting to emulate Harrods of London.

I'd lean toward a '60s time frame, as well, due to the grounded plug. In the '50s, we considered a short to be "electrical therapy".

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

This is the drill Dad took off of a Liberty ship sometime during WWII. I notice Dad's is made out of a Bakelite looking material, which would make sense being it was used aboard ship. I noticed the similarity of labels, Dad's is just too hard to read it well. It does read 110V 2.5 amps 2000 RPM type CP the serial number is _307927 ( I think). I just keep it for sentimental reasons, as I said before it runs but it has earned it's rest. One more thing it does have a Jacbs chuck, it is stamped into the chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	19550  

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	19551  


Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.

Last edited by xplorx4; 02-05-2009 at 02:29 PM.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
Gerard_sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Gerard (AKA: Gerry )
Posts: 246
 
Default Jerry, that's a Gem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorx4 View Post
This is the drill Dad took off of a Liberty ship sometime during WWII. I notice Dad's is made out of a Bakelite looking material, which would make sense being it was used aboard ship. I noticed the similarity of labels, Dad's is just too hard to read it well. It does read 110V 2.5 amps 2000 RPM type CP the serial number is _307927 ( I think). I just keep it for sentimental reasons, as I said before it runs but it has earned it's rest. One more thing it does have a Jacbs chuck, it is stamped into the chuck

Jerry, that's a Gem! You ought to make a plaque for it and mount it!
(I intend on doing that with mine.) I'll bet the Bakelite or insulating case was necessary because of the lack of grounding in a ship's wiring and the potential for electrical shock. It could have been the first of double insulated drills! Maybe on those ships they used 110 volts DC or maybe 400 Hz, Some former Navy person will have to post some input on that.

As to the original post, I did extensive searching on Erik's drill and I have turned up zilch!
Sorry Erik.


Cordially,
Gerry
Gerard_sr is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

You know that is an excellent idea, it is some thing to display in my shop when I get it done. Very good idea thank you!!

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.routerforums.com/lobby/12099-macys-power-drill-50s.html
Posted By For Type Date
Current Power drill News, Reviews, Forums, Pricing and more This thread Refback 07-19-2009 02:01 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power! istracpsboss Lobby 4 10-26-2008 10:14 AM
my old drill is showing its age ntreaster Tools and Woodworking 2 06-28-2008 12:57 PM
RIGID 1/2" Cordless Drill Noddy Tool Reviews 8 10-05-2007 03:27 AM
Drill safety AxlMyk Lobby 5 04-13-2007 08:27 PM
Had my drill press going Glenmore Tools and Woodworking 2 08-20-2005 09:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome