Laptop on the fritz - Router Forums
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
jj777746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 4,447
 
Lightbulb Laptop on the fritz

Hi all,thought I'd better post this, my laptop is beginning to lose one side of the screen & not obeying my instructions lol. seems I'll have to spring for a new one soon so if I happen to disappear for a while y'all will know why. One of my boys is coming home this weekend so will be helping to set up my new dust control system & will get him to post a pic or 2. best wishes,James jj777746
mjadams61 likes this.

You can't drive a bridge spike with a tack hammer(so I'm told)
jj777746 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:03 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 27,000
 
Default

just stay away from W10...
jj777746 likes this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 743
 
Default

Stick, I have had windows10 since it was 1st offered, with no issues.
vchiarelli and mjadams61 like this.
gmercer_48083 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
jj777746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 4,447
 
Default

@ Stick486.I have hated w10 ever since I've had this laptop & it wont be on the next that's for sure.W7 was easy to use for learners like me & w10 just the opposite.Thanks for previous assistance.James jj777746

You can't drive a bridge spike with a tack hammer(so I'm told)
jj777746 is online now  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: Reuel
Posts: 357
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj777746 View Post
Hi all,thought I'd better post this, my laptop is beginning to lose one side of the screen & not obeying my instructions lol. seems I'll have to spring for a new one soon so if I happen to disappear for a while y'all will know why. One of my boys is coming home this weekend so will be helping to set up my new dust control system & will get him to post a pic or 2. best wishes,James jj777746
SPLIT SCREEN is a new feature in WINDOW 10 so perhaps there is nothing really wrong with your laptop.

I suggest you remove the battery and the AC adapter (both) then wait for 30 seconds.
Plug in ONLY the AC Adapter (without the battery) and boot up the laptop.
This should run a cold boot rather than waking up from sleep mode.

If laptop works, plug in the battery while the power is on.

Let me know what happens.

(I custom build and sell PCs for controlling PlasmaCAM (metal cutting) CNC machines in Australia and support Computer networks and repair PCs and laptops)

Best Regards

Reuel


"The gift of God is eternal life thru Jesus Christ our Lord"
Reuel - means "God's friend" (Heb)
reuelt is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 743
 
Default

Reuel, My Wifes laptop pc Windows10, Screen went dead a week ago...I thought it was dead. After reading:

SPLIT SCREEN is a new feature in WINDOW 10 so perhaps there is nothing really wrong with your laptop.

I suggest you remove the battery and the AC adapter (both) then wait for 30 seconds.
Plug in ONLY the AC Adapter (without the battery) and boot up the laptop.
This should run a cold boot rather than waking up from sleep mode.

If laptop works, plug in the battery while the power is on.

Let me know what happens.

(I custom build and sell PCs for controlling PlasmaCAM (metal cutting) CNC machines in Australia and support Computer networks and repair PCs and laptops)

__________________
Best Regards

Reuel

I tried your suggestion and it worked when booted! You are AWSOME! I would have tossed it out. Thanks for the tip.
gmercer_48083 is online now  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: Reuel
Posts: 357
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Reuel, My Wifes laptop pc Windows10, Screen went dead a week ago...I thought it was dead. After reading:

SPLIT SCREEN is a new feature in WINDOW 10 so perhaps there is nothing really wrong with your laptop.

I suggest you remove the battery and the AC adapter (both) then wait for 30 seconds.
Plug in ONLY the AC Adapter (without the battery) and boot up the laptop.
This should run a cold boot rather than waking up from sleep mode.

If laptop works, plug in the battery while the power is on.

Let me know what happens.

(I custom build and sell PCs for controlling PlasmaCAM (metal cutting) CNC machines in Australia and support Computer networks and repair PCs and laptops)

__________________
Best Regards

Reuel

I tried your suggestion and it worked when booted! You are AWSOME! I would have tossed it out. Thanks for the tip.
The trick was taught to me by HP Technical Support and I have fixed MANY laptops using it.

Best Regards

Reuel


"The gift of God is eternal life thru Jesus Christ our Lord"
Reuel - means "God's friend" (Heb)
reuelt is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 743
 
Default

Reuel, My wife's laptop is a HP. It never, or almost never gets used, and has progressively gotten slower since it was new...but it still works. G56-127NR notebook. Thanks again for the tip...Hard to believe that it made it work again!
gmercer_48083 is online now  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: Reuel
Posts: 357
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Reuel, My wife's laptop is a HP. It never, or almost never gets used, and has progressively gotten slower since it was new...but it still works. G56-127NR notebook. Thanks again for the tip...Hard to believe that it made it work again!
What OS is the laptop running on?
If the RAM is still 2GB, upgrade RAM to 4GB if using 32bits OS and to 8GB if using a 64bits OS.
RAM upgrade is very cost effective because RAM price for earlier model PC/laptops have come down.
To speed up the Windows PC, best to disable Windows Update Service + the prefetch service.
Just turn them back on one NIGHT once a month to do updates before you go to bed.
mjadams61 likes this.

Best Regards

Reuel


"The gift of God is eternal life thru Jesus Christ our Lord"
Reuel - means "God's friend" (Heb)
reuelt is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
jj777746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 4,447
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuelt View Post
SPLIT SCREEN is a new feature in WINDOW 10 so perhaps there is nothing really wrong with your laptop.

I suggest you remove the battery and the AC adapter (both) then wait for 30 seconds.
Plug in ONLY the AC Adapter (without the battery) and boot up the laptop.
This should run a cold boot rather than waking up from sleep mode.

If laptop works, plug in the battery while the power is on.

Let me know what happens.

(I custom build and sell PCs for controlling PlasmaCAM (metal cutting) CNC machines in Australia and support Computer networks and repair PCs and laptops)
Hi reuel, thank you for the tech. advice but I'm afraid the split screen on my laptop is caused by "damage". The right side of the screen goes blank, & when adjusted just slightly, comes back on again. Move & off it goes again. I have never lifted this laptop by the lid & always opened it carefully but cracks have appeared on each side 3 or 4 inches from the hinge (s) & looks like it was made to break. IMO if thicker plastic was used in the lid manufacture, it wouldn't have broke. All the best, James.jj777746

You can't drive a bridge spike with a tack hammer(so I'm told)
jj777746 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Laptop Stand FastEasySmartTOOL Project Plans and How To 11 04-22-2018 08:38 AM
Laptop broken jj777746 Lobby 15 09-02-2016 01:44 AM
Monitor Stand for Laptop MT Stringer Show N' Tell 31 11-19-2014 06:36 PM
Wooden Laptop Whiteboards oldwoodenshoe Show N' Tell 6 10-28-2013 03:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome