So Sunday (I think it was) I said that we didn't get out to the shed because of the busy day and we didn't get home till after 6. Also, that it was to be a busy week; also a story for another day. Well, the day is here.
About a month ago, Ken found new cracks in the archway between our living room and kitchen. We'd noticed every winter, how the wood slats in the floor would separate a bit, but figured "dry air", right? I'd also noticed the summer after we moved in, that when our daughter's border collie mix trotted through the house, that the living room floor "bounced" a bit. Well, after the new cracks showed up, I went into action, and called MichDry. Explained the "spongy" floor situation, and the new cracks, and that I was a bit on the worried side. I had known we were going to have to have jacks put in eventually, but the cracks creeped me out. They came out (the guy was a skinny one, thankfully, since the entryway to our crawl space is too small for either Ken, or my big @$$ to fit in, and expressed that when he got here.)
After going under the house, he comes out and shows us that from the front blocks that the house sits on, to the center beam in the house, there was no support beam; that means there is 15 feet of our house with no support. To fix this, we need a steel beam, and jacks under that beam. We also have one section of house that has our beam sitting on two 4x4's, a 2x4 and cinder blocks. Not a good situation. The cold has caused the center of the house to raise up. It's not dire to be done right this minute, but it's going to cost us more if we don't get the house on some steady foundations.
We couldn't finance through them. So, I asked them to give me a week to see about financing. Lo' n' behold, we were able to get a home equity loan. I told Ken that if I'm going to get a loan to fix the floor in the house, I may as well try for enough to get my garage, too.
Well, the angels were on my side, and I was able to get a significant amount above what was needed to fix the floor problem in the house. We now are trying to work through the mess with the Township and their rules, the cement contractors who are outrageously priced, and finding a way to move our shed so we can even start this project, as well as find someone to get the rough frame up.
We figured if we could get the rough frame put in (with the gables put on with the osb so we can roof it) then Ken and I can do the rest. Now's the time I wish I had some connections to get this foundation laid and the framing put up so we can get the rest done. Yes, it will get insulated... BEFORE the walls on the inside go up.
So there's the story for another day. It's going to be a busy summer.
P.S. I'm taking volunteers to help get me my garage if anyone close to me is interested...