It's been a busy couple of months getting everyone moved and settled into their new houses, lots of little projects to get done. One project they asked about before Christmas was to convert an old TV cabinet into a dresser or a wardrobe for my niece (and her cat) that lives with them on weekends. It was a good looking piece of furniture, and they would rather keep it than buy something else. I took some picutures and measurements, typed them into my phone for safekeeping, and promised to work on it when I had time.
Last time I was home from the ship was very short, and had it's own challenges that needed addressing, but this month looked like a good time to knock this out. I was sure they forgot about asking me anyway... so I decided to trust my measurements and build it without running up there and double checking.
The challenge is the pocket doors that fold along the inside of the cabinet. I couldn't just add shelves or a bar across the top, I had to build a little dresser inside. Since it wouldn't be seen much behind the doors, I used AC pine ply and poplar. This shelf is big, about 34 inches wide, 39 inches tall, and 17 inches deep, so it was going to take a whole sheet for the carcass and a half sheet for the back. The ply had great veneer on one side, and lots of plys, and was half the price of hardwood ply.
Simple glue and pocket hole construction with a face frame, and the back is stapled on. Plenty strong for whatever clothes, etc. are going to be on it.
The drama started after I drew the plan out, and started cutting the pieces. As I pieced it together it just started looking too big. I knew I measured a couple of times, but Man! this looks big. I had to run to the Habitat for Humanity store for more stain, and checked out a few of the old entertainment centers they had, and sure enough the numbers were close..... Finished building it Friday and started finishing, then poly on Saturday.
Sunday rolled around and we were going up for dinner, but there was too much rain going on, so I just took pictures (to prove it was done on time...
) and promised I would bring it up when it was drier. This morning I got a call asking if I could do some emergency plumbing repair in their bathroom, the sun was trying to come through the clouds, so I thought I would bring it up. As I was loading it up it started raining... and hard. I was just able to shoe horn it into the back of the truck cab to keep it dry and off I went.
Long story short, it just squeaks in perfectly. It has rubber feet to keep it from shifting in the cabinet without screwing it down. it is physically impossible to tip it out, so I am not worried about that. Mom (and Dad) are happy, that's all that matters.
The pictures are rotating their own way... sorry. No matter how I rotate them, they want to be on their side
Picture 1 - the cabinet and my dimensions in December.
Picture 2- the cabinet complete and waiting to be delivered
Pictures 3 and 4 - installation complete.