Boston Dynamics latest robot - Router Forums
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,457
 
Default Boston Dynamics latest robot

They keep antagonizing these poor things,and I knew it was just a matter of time till they fought back

jw2170, Barry747, marecat3 and 5 others like this.

This machines broken
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 15,234
 
Default

Green screen. Very cool. I know that Digital animation uses the same method. Hate CGI, myself.

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,457
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
Green screen. Very cool. I know that Digital animation uses the same method. Hate CGI, myself.
I was amazed to find out it was cgi. I thought it was real till then lol . Dam near spit out my milk when they hit it over the head with a glass bottle
neville9999 likes this.

This machines broken
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Registered User
 
graeme.c.payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Country: United States
First Name: Graeme
Posts: 88
 
Default

I see that the robot is a fellow Lefty! Good for it, but it is violating one of Asimov's Laws of Robotics: "1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

But I will always prefer humans to machines. (For example, I always go to a human cashier instead of those do-it-yourself checkout areas.) So in this case I would attempt to save the man.
graeme.c.payne is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Registered User
 
neville9999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Neville
Posts: 1,823
 
Send a message via Yahoo to neville9999
Default

Fooled me, I thought they had built Cylon. N
neville9999 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,457
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme.c.payne View Post
I see that the robot is a fellow Lefty! Good for it, but it is violating one of Asimov's Laws of Robotics: "1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

But I will always prefer humans to machines. (For example, I always go to a human cashier instead of those do-it-yourself checkout areas.) So in this case I would attempt to save the man.
Automation is going to destroy our economy at some point . I was recently watching a program where an engineer said they had made a 1,000,000 % increase in a robots ability to see and interpret visual information just this past year .The robots had so much dexterity that they could do tasks that only humans could do up until now.
He was claiming that 95% of tasks could be done with robots right now , almost eliminating people.
This doesnít sound promising. Can hardly imagine another decade of progress .
Not sure where people will work . I think the one percenters are going to have 99% of the money in the next decade .
jw2170, pal and graeme.c.payne like this.

This machines broken
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Barry
Posts: 529
 
Default

I spent my career in IT. Started as a programmer ended as a manager. Last work I did was with data warehousing and data mining. Learned a little bit about computer learning, now called Artificial Intelligence. I'm also an avid reader of science fiction. I truly am concerned with the future possibility of AI gaining sentience either on purpose by some misguided scientist or engineer or by accident. That video had me going, and sweating, until the end. It was very well done and quite disturbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DontDoThat.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	373193  

pal and RainMan 2.0 like this.

If you have an open mind, youíll generally find that youíll learn the most from the people who say the things you least want to hear.
Barry747 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,457
 
Default

Barry I was watching 60 minutes a few weeks ago when they were in China .
The scientists claim they had made a %1,000,000 increase with AI in 2019 when it comes to identifying visual things .
They basically said %95 of the workforce could be eliminated in the near future due to robots taking jobs if companies wanted to .
Pretty scary outcome either way

This machines broken
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 15,234
 
Default

I have mixed thoughts on the elimination of human workers. Problem to me is the really unskilled workers. They were able at one time to go into fast food as a last resort, but the raising of salaries to $15 per hour has caused FF companies to run leaner and have employees constantly doing more. Our local FF places, you can tell they've done that. No one has a minute where they're not doing something. The US has the largest number of employed people ever right now. Black women are starting small businesses at a record rate, as are all other categories. So I think the future will be filled with contract work where people work with, not in, large corporations. People with high quality skills will do great.

Somewhere I read a piece that said in the future that all people will have to become capitalists and find ways to generate revenue by investing money or their work effort. I'm not worried about this, however, because every machine we install also requires setup, care, maintenance, repair, tweaking, programming and eventually, recycling. All of those are work for humans. The tricky part to me is the 3 billion people with no education, skills or opportunity in the emerging nations and Less Developed Countries (LDCs). In some places, there will be opportunities, in others, not so much. For the low end, I foresee lots of jobs for soldiers.

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,457
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
I have mixed thoughts on the elimination of human workers. Problem to me is the really unskilled workers. They were able at one time to go into fast food as a last resort, but the raising of salaries to $15 per hour has caused FF companies to run leaner and have employees constantly doing more. Our local FF places, you can tell they've done that. No one has a minute where they're not doing something. The US has the largest number of employed people ever right now. Black women are starting small businesses at a record rate, as are all other categories. So I think the future will be filled with contract work where people work with, not in, large corporations. People with high quality skills will do great.

Somewhere I read a piece that said in the future that all people will have to become capitalists and find ways to generate revenue by investing money or their work effort. I'm not worried about this, however, because every machine we install also requires setup, care, maintenance, repair, tweaking, programming and eventually, recycling. All of those are work for humans. The tricky part to me is the 3 billion people with no education, skills or opportunity in the emerging nations and Less Developed Countries (LDCs). In some places, there will be opportunities, in others, not so much. For the low end, I foresee lots of jobs for soldiers.
I think itís called a civil war

This machines broken
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome