I agree with Bj, you can't have too many..... - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,467
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default I agree with Bj, you can't have too many.....

of any tool. Back in May I posted a short thread which showed my new B & D cordless drill which I spent a lot of time choosing from a long line of many brands. Since then I've considered that the $194.00 was well spent as it's proved to be a superb tool.
Today I was in the same branch of Bunnings, similar to your big box stores when I saw a display of the very same drills going out for $100.00, virtually half of what I paid, so it goes without saying that I just had to get a second one! I spoke to one of the guys and he said that they were getting out of Black & Decker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	farewell-my-friends3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	39547  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd-drill.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	39548  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Danny
Posts: 655
 
Default

Harry:

I have that same drill, bought the complete kit a year or two ago, it's still going strong. Oddly enough I hardly ever use anything else in the kit. just the drill.
jd99 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered User
 
The Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Roger
Posts: 413
 
Default

I have five drills, three cordless, and it's great to be able to use one for drilling the screw hole, one for the countersink and one to drive the screw. Speeds things up a lot. Impresses the hell out of the neighbours, too.

Cheers,
Roger


I'm not slow, I'm pacing myself!

Isaiah 44:13 Another shapes wood, he extends a measuring line, he outlines it with red chalk. He works it with planes and outlines it with a compass...

Usual kit: Table saw, band saw, dual base router and table, lathe, various saws, planer, sanders, and a multitude of hand tools.
The Warthog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,467
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Me too Danny. Do you remember what you paid for it?

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,467
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

I now have the two cordless and five corded drills Roger and I too have several set-up for big jobs, the same with routers.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered User
 
MikeMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 1,028
 
Default

I have two of the 18 Volt, and use them very frequently. I was once told that the B&D cordless drills are made on the same assembly line as the Dewalt drills. Whether it is true or not, I am not certain, but those drills have taken all the abuse I have thrown at them, and they still work as good as the day I bought them.
MikeMa is online now  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Harry

Looking good. I don't have the B & D but it's looks like a good one

I guess I have my share of power drills, my son used the DeWalt for a long time and he got ticked off with them and dropped off 12 of them off with batt. and said I'm going to switch over to the Makita brand and I said that's great and I pulled out the BIG box with over 16 dead ones in a box I have..and he said no thanks I'm going with the new type with the new type of bat.
I guess I should sale off the old Makita's but I'm a tool hoarder

Can't have to many power drills

I should say I use the air drills in the shop most of the time I just hate to pickup a drill and it's a dead drill..

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
of any tool. Back in May I posted a short thread which showed my new B & D cordless drill which I spent a lot of time choosing from a long line of many brands. Since then I've considered that the $194.00 was well spent as it's proved to be a superb tool.
Today I was in the same branch of Bunnings, similar to your big box stores when I saw a display of the very same drills going out for $100.00, virtually half of what I paid, so it goes without saying that I just had to get a second one! I spoke to one of the guys and he said that they were getting out of Black & Decker.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 12-03-2010 at 11:01 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Retired Moderator
 
BigJimAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 3,503
     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi Harry

Looking good. I don't have the B & D but it's looks like a good one

I guess I have my share of power drills, my son used the DeWalt for a long time and he got ticked off with them and dropped off 12 of them off with batt. and said I'm going to switch over to the Makita brand and I said that's great and I pulled out the BIG box with over 16 dead ones in a box I have..and he said no thanks I'm going with the new type with the new type of bat.
I guess I should sale off the old Makita's but I'm a tool hoarder

Can't have to many power drills

I should say I use the air drills in the shop most of the time I just hate to pickup a drill and it's a dead drill..

============
You know, O master jig-meister, that assuming most of those dead 28 cordless drills died due to loss of battery, there's a real opportunity for you to put them to innovative use.

Building on the motorized router lift, if a true master were to build an adjustable height workbench (or RT) such as Workbench Plans add a couple of cordless drills and power supply, it'd come in handy if you ever got old...

That's gotta come *some* day BJ... cuz as my Dad says: "Only the *good* die young. That's why this old b*stard's gonna live forever!!"

Not a bad attitude for a still rather spry man of 84, eh?

Check out that new high-tech cordless router.. wireless and no recharging required!!
BigJimAK is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Danny
Posts: 655
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
Me too Danny. Do you remember what you paid for it?
Not off hand, I think it was something like 120 for the kit or something like that it was around xmas time a couple of years ago I think.

The kit came with the drill, the sawall, 7 1/4 circular saw, light, and vaccum; sander and bag to hold it all, and I bought the jig saw, and the multiple battery charger extra.

I use the drill the most then the rest in listing order most used to least used.
jig saw
circular saw
vaccum
sawall
sander
light
jd99 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Jim

"motorized router lift " = I did that LOL..but not a workbench ,I have small air floor jacks for that job
" loss of battery " = about 50% of them and the other 50% is due to bad switches, that's been a real down fall with Makita tools..

Getting old has it's real plus, always making things easy and not doing things the hard way, like using the elec.power dead man on the wall for lifting things up
I had a 28 ft.6" I-Beam down the center of the shop with a power roller and chain fall for that type job but I took it down, always in the way..



======
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimAK View Post
You know, O master jig-meister, that assuming most of those dead 28 cordless drills died due to loss of battery, there's a real opportunity for you to put them to innovative use.

Building on the motorized router lift, if a true master were to build an adjustable height workbench (or RT) such as Workbench Plans add a couple of cordless drills and power supply, it'd come in handy if you ever got old...

That's gotta come *some* day BJ... cuz as my Dad says: "Only the *good* die young. That's why this old b*stard's gonna live forever!!"

Not a bad attitude for a still rather spry man of 84, eh?



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 12-03-2010 at 07:19 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power switch for router table? Birch Table-mounted Routing 128 10-25-2012 05:45 PM
Price vs. Safety wm_crash Router Bits - Types and Usage 40 04-25-2011 06:15 PM
harbor freight levon The Bargain Bin 18 06-24-2009 10:40 AM
The Perfect Router and Table? rolanddds Table-mounted Routing 20 05-11-2009 08:58 AM
craftsman levon Tools and Woodworking 12 01-13-2009 07:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome