Garage/Shop Natural Gas Heater ... uhhhh?
I am writing to share a short story and ask for feedback. I was really excited about purchasing a Modine HDS45 "Hot Dawg" heater; I had been researching separated combustion natural gas heaters for months and when I was finally pulling the trigger on a purchase, the dealer I spoke to actually talked me out of the Modine Hot Dawg! The text of our conversation basically went like this:
- The HDS is a "fine heater" but not worth the high price any more.
- There are better/comparable competitors with much better customer service.
- Modine's customer service was excellent until ~5 years ago.
-- Now, dealers can't contact Modine directly.
-- The home owner must contact the "area rep" who generally knows less about the product than those of us selling the units.
-- Then they need to wait for Modine to respond ... the process can take several days.
-- Worst of all, Modine has not been honoring their warranty like they used to.
So, after I spoke with the salesperson, I personally called Modine to see if I could get through ... and sure enough the automated "security sentry" system kept me out.
- (Option 1) I said I was a homeowner (not an authorized tech), it told me I needed an authorized tech to service my unit.
- (Option 2) I called back and said I was an authorized tech, and it asked me for my zip code so it could route me to the area rep.
- (Option 3) I called back and said I was a reseller, and it asked me for my zip code so it could route me to the area rep.
- I tried every phone option to bypass the automated system to actually speak with a Modine employee and NOTHING. Sad.
So, if Modine "was" the Cadillac of heaters, known for "whisper quiet, smooth/balanced and reliable operation as well as superb warranty support," and it isn't any more, then what is? I have a dedicated natural gas line run to the spot where I will install my heater ... I'm bent on natural gas and separated combustion. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, Rich