Itialian Provinial coffe table - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
46_trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
First Name: 46_trap
Posts: 152
   
Question Itialian Provinial coffe table

Woodworkers
I have the series 4 of the RW. I am looking at the above table, but do not really know, how to make a four sided tappered leg.
Bud[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]

The Geezer
46_trap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Registered User
 
curiousgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
First Name: George
Posts: 3,003
     
Send a message via Skype™ to curiousgeorge
Default

Hi Bud,
A simple taper jig for the table saw: http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence...op/page40.html

Also here is an article on using the jig:
www.newwoodworker.com/usetaperjig.html

George
Fort Worth, Texas
City where the west begins.

Last edited by curiousgeorge; 06-04-2007 at 01:12 AM.
curiousgeorge is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Trap

I have made a jig just to do that, if you want I will post a snapshot of it.

It works on a sled on the table saw and a dowel pin in the end of the leg so all you need to do is make one one pass then turn the leg lock it in and make the next pass, it's safe jig to use in the table saw because your hands don't get near the blade and you don't need to use a push stick.

Most taper jigs will do two sides well but then it comes to the others sides and then they will fail and must be readjusted and that can make some firewood.
This jig will keep the leg on center and all 4 cuts will come out right on the button ,the key to this jig is the dowel pin hole in the bottom of the leg, you can cut the leg down to a 3/8" sq. on the bottom of the leg or just about anythng you want it to be by adjusting the pin on the side bar on the jig.

3/8" sq. Try that on one of the taper jigs but have the 1st.aid kit by just in case and the trash can.


--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trap
Woodworkers
I have the series 4 of the RW. I am looking at the above table, but do not really know, how to make a four sided tappered leg.
Bud[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 06-04-2007 at 08:49 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Bud, the Jigs and Fixtures book shows the methods used for the show. Cover to cover it is full of jigs used for the various projects from all the series. If you only buy one book on woodworking this is the one to get.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Richard
Posts: 387
 
Default

Hi: You can use an adjustable taper jig to make four sided tapers. First set the jig to the taper you need and make cuts on two adjacent sides. Increase the taper to twice the setting of the first cut, and place the tapered side against the jig it will take off the same amoubt as the firast but on the oposite side. Hope it helps.. Woodnut65
Woodnut65 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 AM
RouterForums.com User
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,812
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Another way to taper legs is to tack a thin spacer to one end, and using a suitable pusher, make the required number of passes over the jointer. Do the same on each side. The finish is of course far better than off the saw.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Trap

The SAFE way to make legs and to make them right every time.

I took a snapshot or two of the jig I was talking about,,,I have both types the sliding one works the best for legs, the other one works great to get the board true or to say take the bow out...so you can resaw it and use it.

If you need any help with the snapshots/jig just ask and I will try and give you a hand with them.

Cutting tip ▼
NOTE **** Trap, to get a real nice cut with the table saw blade ,cut out two sand paper disk ,100 grit. (about 9" to 9 1/2" dia. the norm) Glue them on the blade (both sides) use some 3M spray glue, let them set for about a 1/2 hour then cut the center out ,then put it back on the table saw, this will give a you a clean cut without any blade marks and almost No sanding needed.

403 - 404 Italian Provincial Coffee Table:

http://www.routerworkshop.com/S400.html#44



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6766.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6767.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	5827  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6769.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	5828  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6770.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	5829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6771.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	5830  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6772.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	5831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6773.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	5832  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6774.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	5833  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6775.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	5834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6776.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	5835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6777.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	5836  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6778.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	5837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6768.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5839  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6779.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	5841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6780.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	5842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6782.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	5843  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6783.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	5844  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6784.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	5845  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6781.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	5847  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 06-05-2007 at 09:43 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered User
 
rmaxa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Rolf
Posts: 592
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Bud, the Jigs and Fixtures book shows the methods used for the show. Cover to cover it is full of jigs used for the various projects from all the series. If you only buy one book on woodworking this is the one to get.

I took your recommendation and just ordered the Jigs and Fixtures book. Looking forward to making some of those jigs Rick and Bob use.

Rolf

Last edited by rmaxa; 06-04-2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
rmaxa is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
46_trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
First Name: 46_trap
Posts: 152
   
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3
Hi Trap

The SAFE way to make legs and to make them right every time.

I took a snapshot or two of the jig I was talking about,,,I have both types the sliding one works the best for legs, the other one works great to get the board true or to say take the bow out...so you can resaw it and use it.

If you need any help with the snapshots/jig just ask and I will try and give you a hand with them.

Cutting tip ▼
NOTE **** Trap, to get a real nice cut with the table saw blade ,cut out two sand paper disk ,100 grit. (about 9" to 9 1/2" dia. the norm) Glue them on the blade (both sides) use some 3M spray glue, let them set for about a 1/2 hour then cut the center out ,then put it back on the table saw, this will give a you a clean cut without any blade marks and almost No sanding needed.

403 - 404 Italian Provincial Coffee Table:

http://www.routerworkshop.com/S400.html#44
Bobj3.
The jig looks great. I will be building the jig. I think that the dowel is the key to making the four tapers. The suggestion of the sandpaper on the saw blade is an excellent idea. I have tinkered with the idea of using a jointer to do the job, but the two minute a leg is much faster. I am at a loss, as to why you have not been nominated for forum contribuer 2007, you have helped many of the woodworkers on this site. Again thank you for the reply.
bud

The Geezer
46_trap is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Dave
Posts: 396
 
Default Table leg tapering jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi Trap

I have made a jig just to do that, if you want I will post a snapshot of it.

It works on a sled on the table saw and a dowel pin in the end of the leg so all you need to do is make one one pass then turn the leg lock it in and make the next pass, it's safe jig to use in the table saw because your hands don't get near the blade and you don't need to use a push stick.

Most taper jigs will do two sides well but then it comes to the others sides and then they will fail and must be readjusted and that can make some firewood.
This jig will keep the leg on center and all 4 cuts will come out right on the button ,the key to this jig is the dowel pin hole in the bottom of the leg, you can cut the leg down to a 3/8" sq. on the bottom of the leg or just about anythng you want it to be by adjusting the pin on the side bar on the jig.

3/8" sq. Try that on one of the taper jigs but have the 1st.aid kit by just in case and the trash can.


--------------
Is this jig something that you came up with Bobj3? It seems like a great way to do table legs to me. I would like to try one and appreciate you posting it. Also, the book that is mentioned in that old thread...Jigs & Fixtures....is that the correct title and is it still available? Thanks very much, Dave
adot45 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First and only (I hope!) Router table CanuckBeaver Table-mounted Routing 14 10-04-2010 05:12 AM
Router Table Help Which One! bigroccrek Table-mounted Routing 25 04-08-2008 10:57 PM
Cast Iron Router table in table saw reierme Starting Off 4 11-28-2007 07:27 PM
Cubbie's Router Table Cubbie Table-mounted Routing 4 03-19-2005 03:13 PM
Sold: Router Table or Table Top -Sam- Woodworking Classifieds 10 01-29-2005 09:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome