Harry took the plunge - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
RouterForums.com User
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,812
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default Harry took the plunge

and went to the once a year tool sale, where discounts were minuscule compared to you're black Friday and came back with lots of goodies as shown. I have no idea where the lathe is going to fit, first off I'll need to build a table of sorts on wheels. I also don't know how I'm going to find time to do any turning, as I have so many router projects in the pipe-line. It amazes me how you guys who work full time produce the projects that you do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Result-of-todays-madness.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	9458  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Retired Moderator
 
challagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,126
 
Default

Harry you dog you! Congrats buddy. Hey, that lathe appears to be the same lathe I have with a different name on it. It will work great bud and just find time! Your going to need one more thing.. a 60 degree live center for turning pens and anything but will ruin the end of your pen mandrell. You should be able to get one from Carbatec. Get some scraps 1 x 1's or 2 x 2s and just practice turning them down etc.

Let me know how that dremel arbor and blade works. One question what do you put that in, the drill press? I might have to pick one of them up and I see bob is using that as well. I guess Santa came early to Ozland

Corey
P.S. harry what the hell is that round thing on the turn tool box ?

My Carving Website: The Iowa Woodcarver
http://iowacarver.tripod.com/

Last edited by challagan; 12-01-2007 at 05:48 AM.
challagan is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Oh well, there goes the neighborhood of the turning world. Life will never be the same now that Harry has a lathe

Looks like you are all fixed up and ready to turn pens with the accessories you brought home. Where are the safety goggles or face shied? Don't even think about turning that thing on without wearing them.

Nice choice on the lathe Harry, but I hate to tell you that it was only the down payment. The turning vortex is deep and powerful as you are about to learn I had that same lathe when I started and it is a good one.

Now maybe we have a chance to pay you back in sharing turning knowledge for all that you have been so kind to share with the router.

Congrats on the nice purchase.
Bob N is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Bob, the safety equipment is by Harry's metal lathe. Would you guys be kind enough to post photos of any pen presses you have? Harry was planning on using a vice and I explained how much faster and easier the pen presses were.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Retired Moderator
 
challagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,126
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Bob, the safety equipment is by Harry's metal lathe. Would you guys be kind enough to post photos of any pen presses you have? Harry was planning on using a vice and I explained how much faster and easier the pen presses were.
I use this one from Woodcraft, but a clamp will work if need be but a press more than anything will give you finer control on pressing in the transmission which is a critical step on most pen kits:
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web3988big.jpg

but one can be made from wood and this site is a good turning resource:
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...bly_press.html

Corey

My Carving Website: The Iowa Woodcarver
http://iowacarver.tripod.com/

Last edited by challagan; 12-01-2007 at 07:19 AM.
challagan is offline  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
RouterForums.com User
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,812
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by challagan
Harry you dog you! Congrats buddy. Hey, that lathe appears to be the same lathe I have with a different name on it. It will work great bud and just find time! Your going to need one more thing.. a 60 degree live center for turning pens and anything but will ruin the end of your pen mandrell. You should be able to get one from Carbatec. Get some scraps 1 x 1's or 2 x 2s and just practice turning them down etc.

Let me know how that dremel arbor and blade works. One question what do you put that in, the drill press? I might have to pick one of them up and I see bob is using that as well. I guess Santa came early to Ozland

Corey
P.S. harry what the hell is that round thing on the turn tool box ?
Corey, the live centre on the left beneath the full face mask came with the lathe and is the same angle as the one on the right which I use in my metal lathe, both appear to be about 50deg, and both are 2MT, would this be suitable for pens? You surprise me in that you know of Carbatec here in Australia, but then Corey you are full of surprises! Here is a not very good shot of the Dremel saw ready to attach to the flexible shaft. The "round thing" to which you allude to is a $6.00 6.5" X 2" slice of a Red gum tree that I hope one day to turn into a bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Live-centres.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	9459  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel-saw.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	9460  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Retired Moderator
 
challagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,126
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin
Corey, the live centre on the left beneath the full face mask came with the lathe and is the same angle as the one on the right which I use in my metal lathe, both appear to be about 50deg, and both are 2MT, would this be suitable for pens? You surprise me in that you know of Carbatec here in Australia, but then Corey you are full of surprises! Here is a not very good shot of the Dremel saw ready to attach to the flexible shaft. The "round thing" to which you allude to is a $6.00 6.5" X 2" slice of a Red gum tree that I hope one day to turn into a bowl.
That center should work bud. Harry, Carbatec has imported stuff here for some time and that lathe used to be packaged under that label and still do another smaller lathe . Ubeaut finishes and such are very popular here with turners and Penn State Industries here imports a lot of stuff from them as well. Carbatec is also the maker of the router bits for Roger Gifkin and his jig Thanks for the pics and now I can see that is obviously a hunk-a-wood Should make a pretty bowl and that is something I have never done.. turn a bowl. And now you guys are starting to make me feel guilty.. I don't use a shield when I turn

Corey

My Carving Website: The Iowa Woodcarver
http://iowacarver.tripod.com/

Last edited by challagan; 12-01-2007 at 07:33 AM.
challagan is offline  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
RouterForums.com User
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,812
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N
Oh well, there goes the neighborhood of the turning world. Life will never be the same now that Harry has a lathe

Looks like you are all fixed up and ready to turn pens with the accessories you brought home. Where are the safety goggles or face shied? Don't even think about turning that thing on without wearing them.

Nice choice on the lathe Harry, but I hate to tell you that it was only the down payment. The turning vortex is deep and powerful as you are about to learn I had that same lathe when I started and it is a good one.

Now maybe we have a chance to pay you back in sharing turning knowledge for all that you have been so kind to share with the router.

Congrats on the nice purchase.
I think Mike have been referring to the face mask shown in my answer to Corey, which I haven't used in years, and probably wouldn't have had you not brought it to my attention. I really do look forward to learning the craft from yourself and other members but I feel compelled to tell you that I'm not starting from scratch, it doesn't seem that long since I turned a Walnut fruit bowl, it was in high school in 1947, that's right 1 9 4 7! Looking at the receipts from to-days spend is a good illustration of what you mean by the lathe being just the down payment.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered User
 
Roefa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Roger
Posts: 168
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Roefa
Default

Lotsa' cool stuff, Harry -
That oughta' keep you busy for a while.
Fun !

Roger

Thinking outside the box? What box?
Roefa is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Bob, the safety equipment is by Harry's metal lathe. Would you guys be kind enough to post photos of any pen presses you have? Harry was planning on using a vice and I explained how much faster and easier the pen presses were.
Mike,

Actually Harry is very much on track with using a vice as a pen press. I have several presses of modern design, but find that a vice offers good control overall. Sometimes simple is best
Bob N is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plunge router? gweissbock Tools and Woodworking 5 07-31-2008 10:52 PM
Here is a pen for Harry Glenmore Woodturning and Lathes 3 05-25-2008 10:57 PM
Colt plunge base bobj3 Jigs and Fixtures 19 04-01-2008 07:54 PM
Freud 2200E -- How do I set it up for a measured depth plunge cut? Ladd General Routing 8 11-12-2007 03:23 PM
anyone pull the springs out of a Porter Cable 890 plunge base? paulcomi Tools and Woodworking 8 04-23-2006 05:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome