Wildfires in SW Australia! - Router Forums
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
vindaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Angie
Posts: 1,651
 
Default Wildfires in SW Australia!

Just watching the news I see there's wild fires in SW Australia. Hope you guys in the southern hemisphere are all ok and out the way. Sad for the livestock too.

When everything around you is going to pot, get out in the workshop.
vindaloo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,266
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Just watching the news I see there's wild fires in SW Australia. Hope you guys in the southern hemisphere are all ok and out the way. Sad for the livestock too.

Harry is in Perth...
hope there he doesn't find another fly in his ointment...

The township of Yarloop, 125 kilometers (80 miles) southwest of Perth, lost 95 homes — about one third of its dwellings — as the fire front hit on Thursday, Gregson said

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01...-township.html
harrysin likes this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”

Last edited by Stick486; 01-08-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Stick486 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Registered User
 
neville9999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Neville
Posts: 1,839
 
Send a message via Yahoo to neville9999
Default

I blame the severity of the fires on Green idiots, they campaign to stop winter time burning of excess forest fuel so years and years go by and some areas build up so much debris on the ground that when hot dry times come then just pray it does not get on fire, when it does then putting it out is very hard, forest management is all about burning off this materiel when its safe to do it, these days many areas just don't get proper fuel reduction done. N
jw2170, Roy Drake and RainMan 2.0 like this.
neville9999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,266
 
Default

@neville9999 ...

there aren't any threatened members other than Harry is there???
sorely hope not...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,467
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
Harry is in Perth...
hope there he doesn't find another fly in his ointment...

The township of Yarloop, 125 kilometers (80 miles) southwest of Perth, lost 95 homes — about one third of its dwellings — as the fire front hit on Thursday, Gregson said

Australian wildfires raze 95 homes in single township | Fox News
we're a couple of hours drive from Yarloop which was a beautiful little place with steam train workshops which I visited only a few months ago on a day when stationary steam engines of all sizes were being fired up. All the old railway workshops were just as the workers left them when they closed down some years ago. In the offices there were order and receipt books and rubber stamps, most quite perished. Other sheds had all sorts of machinery, one was filled with lathes, one which had been extended to machine gun barrels during the war.
It really does make one cry to see it now, almost totally destroyed.
Just before coming on line I was searching for a site to enable us to make a donation but couldn't find a specific so I've decided to phone one of the TV stations to see if they have a link.
I'm pleasantly surprised that there are Americans who actually follow Australian news, it was always thought that most Americans hadn't a clue as to the existence of Australia, Perhaps Paul Hogan and his ads, "pop another shrimp on the barbie" helped to changed this!
jw2170 and old55 like this.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Country: Australia
First Name: Greg
Posts: 68
 
Default

Not aware of any other members in the area Stick. Yarloop has been decimated and the fire continues out of control, creating it's own weather now. Been raining but it has not had any effect on the fire. Been a rough couple of weeks, with about 100 homes lost in Victoria, in SE Australia. 45 deg C temperatures and high winds is not a good mix. Horrific for the native fauna, pets and livestock Angie. 85 % of Queensland has been drought declared for up to 4 years, with as little as 1" of rain each year, and now a lot of it is under flood water. It is a cruel country.
Geevesmac is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,266
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
we're a couple of hours drive from Yarloop which was a beautiful little place with steam train workshops which I visited only a few months ago on a day when stationary steam engines of all sizes were being fired up. All the old railway workshops were just as the workers left them when they closed down some years ago. In the offices there were order and receipt books and rubber stamps, most quite perished. Other sheds had all sorts of machinery, one was filled with lathes, one which had been extended to machine gun barrels during the war.
It really does make one cry to see it now, almost totally destroyed.
Just before coming on line I was searching for a site to enable us to make a donation but couldn't find a specific so I've decided to phone one of the TV stations to see if they have a link.
I'm pleasantly surprised that there are Americans who actually follow Australian news, it was always thought that most Americans hadn't a clue as to the existence of Australia, Perhaps Paul Hogan and his ads, "pop another shrimp on the barbie" helped to changed this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geevesmac View Post
Not aware of any other members in the area Stick. Yarloop has been decimated and the fire continues out of control, creating it's own weather now. Been raining but it has not had any effect on the fire. Been a rough couple of weeks, with about 100 homes lost in Victoria, in SE Australia. 45 deg C temperatures and high winds is not a good mix. Horrific for the native fauna, pets and livestock Angie. 85 % of Queensland has been drought declared for up to 4 years, with as little as 1" of rain each year, and now a lot of it is under flood water. It is a cruel country.
ouch...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
vindaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Angie
Posts: 1,651
 
Default

Large parts of the north of the UK have been getting flooded since mid december. They're blaming the government for not providing adequate flood defences but when the houses are a few feet above the normal waterline, short of building huge levys which people would then moan about the loss of their beautiful view (when the weather's good), not sure what else can be done.

It would cost an absolute fortune to dredge the river from finish to start to allow for more water. If they decide to dig another river then the rural eco people would moan about it destroying natural habitat for wildlife. Do hope they stop getting flodded soon, Some areas of Scotland got hit yesterday and today.

When everything around you is going to pot, get out in the workshop.
vindaloo is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
furboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Rob
Posts: 544
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised that there are Americans who actually follow Australian news, it was always thought that most Americans hadn't a clue as to the existence of Australia
Does having an "authentic" Australian bush hat count for anything? See avatar
neville9999 likes this.
furboo is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,266
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised that there are Americans who actually follow Australian news, it was always thought that most Americans hadn't a clue as to the existence of Australia, Perhaps Paul Hogan and his ads, "pop another shrimp on the barbie" helped to changed this!
I try to get around some....
Paul had nothing to do with it...

Newspapers & News Media - ABYZ News Links
billyjim likes this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joke a Day bobj3 Lobby 3449 Yesterday 05:56 PM
More on Australia harrysin Lobby 5 04-22-2015 02:07 PM
Get to know Australia harrysin Lobby 42 05-21-2014 11:19 AM
Local ties to Australia for our members down under. jd99 Lobby 2 03-11-2010 06:55 AM
Happy "Australian Day" mates! Dr.Zook Lobby 16 01-27-2007 05:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome