Found... - Router Forums
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,284
 
Default Found...

Vince's IT department...

.


.
DesertRatTom, Shop guy and Murtu01 like this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

If it looked like that I'd have been in heaven - sadly mine looked more like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-network-02.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	191225  

Murtu01 and Herb Stoops like this.

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,284
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchiarelli View Post
If it looked like that I'd have been in heaven - sadly mine looked more like this:
novice...

.
JFPNCM, vchiarelli and Murtu01 like this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Retired Moderator
 
TwoSkies57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 5,994
   
Default

9-10 years ago, we were given a 2 day class on running wires for a new IT system in a retail environment. Nothing anywhere near as complex as the pictures above. BUT, for us, it was all new. There were several teams, spread out across the country doing this. Our team (3 guys) was always a day or two behind everyone else depending on the size of the store, and we all know, time is money. I started getting some slack by the bean counters. We're taking too long, costing too much, speed it up, blah, blah, blah. What the hell are you guys doing. One of the big dogs came out to see what was going on. We walked a job site, everything was above ceiling or in 4" conduit down into the cabinets. He stuck his head above the ceiling and verified the runs all looked ok, Conduit drops all looked great, hangers, cat5 and misc. were all under budget, we were just taking too long. SO whats up...are you guys just slow?

Then he opened up the first cabinet, then a second... took out his phone, took a few pictures...and sent them out nationally with a note:

"If your cabinets dont look like this, I want to know why and what your going to do about it"..

The tone of the visit turned around 180 degress and shortly afterwards, my phone began ringing off the hook. I always have preached to my guys, learn to do it right, then learn to do it fast...It wasn't long before our turn around times were well under everyone elses..
schnewj and Rogerdodge like this.

"..... limited only by imagination"

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"
Skipper the Penguin
TwoSkies57 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

Bill

Fast, Cheap or Good - you can't have all three so pick two

Good + Fast = Expensive

Good + Cheap = Slow

Fast + Cheap = Inferior

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered User
 
schnewj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 2,323
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSkies57 View Post
9-10 years ago, we were given a 2 day class on running wires for a new IT system in a retail environment. Nothing anywhere near as complex as the pictures above. BUT, for us, it was all new. There were several teams, spread out across the country doing this. Our team (3 guys) was always a day or two behind everyone else depending on the size of the store, and we all know, time is money. I started getting some slack by the bean counters. We're taking too long, costing too much, speed it up, blah, blah, blah. What the hell are you guys doing. One of the big dogs came out to see what was going on. We walked a job site, everything was above ceiling or in 4" conduit down into the cabinets. He stuck his head above the ceiling and verified the runs all looked ok, Conduit drops all looked great, hangers, cat5 and misc. were all under budget, we were just taking too long. SO whats up...are you guys just slow?

Then he opened up the first cabinet, then a second... took out his phone, took a few pictures...and sent them out nationally with a note:

"If your cabinets dont look like this, I want to know why and what your going to do about it"..

The tone of the visit turned around 180 degress and shortly afterwards, my phone began ringing off the hook. I always have preached to my guys, learn to do it right, then learn to do it fast...It wasn't long before our turn around times were well under everyone elses..
How true! I've seen it so many times. Bad work equals hours of troubleshooting. Make it neat and the troubleshooting is a piece of cake.

Hi, sorry I missed you. I have gone to find myself, but if I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.

Tool Storage Bait and Tackle, LLC.
schnewj is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Retired Moderator
 
TwoSkies57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 5,994
   
Default

now, 10 years later... if we do go back for an upgrade or to change out a switch....the amount of time it takes is far, far less than it would have been if the cabinets were left a mess....pay me now, or pay me later...

"..... limited only by imagination"

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"
Skipper the Penguin
TwoSkies57 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

Unfortunately, most companies mindset was fast and cheap - they live in the present. Usually, fast and cheap costs more in the long run.

Much like buying an inferior, cheap tool - saves money up front, but usually requires a replacement or an upgrade at additional cost - like you said, pay me now or pay me later.

Out of curiosity - what did you do for a living, Bill - in IT???

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 16,317
 
Default

The color coding is brilliant. Has to make it much easier to deal with. Is each cable made to fit? I guess with tools and experience, making them is fast and easy, just time consuming. What is most remarkable is being able to conceive of such a thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
Vince's IT department...

.


.
DesertRatTom is online now  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Retired Moderator
 
TwoSkies57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 5,994
   
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchiarelli View Post
Unfortunately, most companies mindset was fast and cheap - they live in the present. Usually, fast and cheap costs more in the long run.

Much like buying an inferior, cheap tool - saves money up front, but usually requires a replacement or an upgrade at additional cost - like you said, pay me now or pay me later.

Out of curiosity - what did you do for a living, Bill - in IT???
DID??? *LOL* hell, I don't see "did" as part of the equation. They will find me on a roof somewhere hunched over a RTU or spinning around inside of a air handler unit somewhere....

I do major building maintenance. Everything from electrical (up to 600v), data, phone, POS, plumbing, flooring, carpentry...I'm kind of the first line of defense when a problem arises...

The extent of my "IT" experience is very limited. Usually its the data line runs or fiber optic runs (one of my guys is certified, so he handles all that when needed). We've done cabinet installs and switch installs (Cisco switches and the like) and when given proper instructions we'll do termination work as welll, the real IT work is handled by guys who know what the hell they are doing...When we do, do this kind of work, its usually our setting them up and then they come in and knock it out..We pretty much do the grunt work. But it is rewarding when you're requested for a job We get alot of that

The biggest problem we run into with this kinda work is when a 3rd party vendor comes in and does things "their" way....not saying its right or wrong, but damn, it it ain't consistent its a problem and a real headache...

"..... limited only by imagination"

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"
Skipper the Penguin

Last edited by TwoSkies57; 02-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.
TwoSkies57 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How I Found Free And Inexpensive Wood Over The Past Three Months tkleff Starting Off 51 12-16-2012 08:40 PM
New Site Found constructionfanatic4 New Member Introductions 2 08-02-2011 10:16 PM
Just found your forum! grandpaw New Member Introductions 11 02-20-2006 10:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome