DesertRatTom DesertRatTom is online now
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Powermatic 6 inch jointer
DeWalt 735 12 inch planer
10 inch Laguna Fusion table saw, model 350, home built outfeed table
10 inch Bosch sliding miter saw
2 Bosch 1617 routers
Bosch Colt router
Triton TRA001 in the table
Rockler Router table--Used to have their FX lift, but retired it because it crept easily.
14 inch Laguna 14/12 band saw
12 inch Rikon band saw
Porter Cable biscuit joiner
PC 7.5 inch circular saw
18 v DeWalt 6.5 inch circular saw
" " jig and reciprocating saws
3 18 v DeWalt hand drills, one is an impact driver
WEN 12 inch drill press (table top model)
Grizzly miter trimmer (horizontal guillotine type)
Compressor and various sized finish nail guns
A number of commercial jigs for gear mentioned
Block plane, #4 and #6 Wood River, router plane, rabbit plane, good chisels.
Two HF 2 hp DC units w/chip collectors
Triton Track saw $1400
Makita Circ. saw
Shark Guard dust collection for TS blade
Triton track saw
Always adding new items.
- My Shop
- My shop is a 12x24 insulated shed. Another, smaller shed next to the shop is my office. Recently added a Wifi range extender and a super antenna so I have really fast internet there too.
Wife hired an electrician to put in a 60 amp subpanel which feeds interior wiring of 3 20 amp circuits to each shed. Works shared because I'm only using one at a time..
Presently cooled by a room air conditioner with electric heat in winter, same for new office shed.
Recently replaced my home made dust collector with two Harbor Freight 2 hp units, one for the workshop the other for the garage where i keep my jointer and planer. Both have 30 gal chip collectors.
Space is tight and I've made compact stands on casters for all tools to replace original oversized stands. I'm considering adding an enclosed porch to the sheds so I can have comfortable, shady outdoor space to have an evening toddy with my sweetie.
Have lots of shelving and drawers for accessories. Also use small 10 x 12 inch closeable, stacking plastic tubs to hold things like router bits, measuring devices and other small gear.
I have a serious maple workbench with end vise, to which I added a fold down extension so it doubles the work surface when I need it.
Layout has about 60 percent space for power tools, the rest is counter tops, shelving and work bench. About 250 square ft of floor space, so things are tight. Recently made modifications that opened the shop up nicely, including a shelf hanging down from the roof joints so I can store picture frame material nice and flat.
Keep the jointer and planer in the garage since there isn't enough room for them in the shop.
This year I had the double car garage insulated and dry walled, and insulated the steel door. I is now my wood prep area and has the jointer, planer, band saw and track saw. It is quite roomy compared to the shop.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I worked as a consultant, about age 76, started woodworking about 13 years ago, did carpentry for home improvement much of my life. Was a journalist for some years, but became weary of the endless deadlines and having little time to research and write at the level I wished. Was a business writer and editor for 5 years and did hundreds of interviews with major business executives. Great experience, like getting an MBA in real world business. Fell into my present work through a foundation for which I worked as a communications director. Its kind of like missionary work because my clients help a lot of kids have much better lives. Made enough money to afford good tools, probably far beyond my ability to use them fully at the time, but who knows how much longer any one of us will be here, so don't want to waste my time and efforts trying to get cheap tools to work well. Biggest insight about woodworking is that it is all about precision. There is no way to make great stuff in a rush.
- Live in the Victor Valley of Southern California, on the edge of the Mojave Desert.
- I'm a very specialized consultant to eye doctors who work with children, and work with my daughter in that business. Travel a lot. I used to do a lot of landscaping, but slowed down after successful cancer threatment a few years ago. Converted our empty lot to a dryland park with 185 ft. long dry stream bed with an "island on one end reached by a redwood bridge. Went from no trees to a dozen or so more or less native species and hundreds of plants lining about 1,5200 feet of trails winding around and through this garden. Found, lifted and placed about 45 tons of rock for the garden. I can no longer lift many of the boulders.
Belong to a senior group that does presentations, so I do a lot of research and rather fancy PowerPoint presentations. Did some lectures at the local library.
Do a lot of writing, mostly associated with my work. Dabble in photography which was a big part of my life for many years as a reporter and editor on daily papers in Southern California.
I plan to make toys and cabinetry for now, but do a LOT of serious home improvement projects. Getting interested in furniture, but the house is full so I have no pressing needs. Now just at the stage where my efforts turn out quite well every time--at least my wife is impressed. Have been putting together cabinets and bookshelves lately for a living room entertainment and storage area. My wife is a budding artist, so I am also making picture frames these days.
- Favorite Router
- Recently bought and already love my table mount Triton TRA001. The power is awesome and the above table height adjustment is easier on my knees. I use two Bosch 1617s for freehand work since they are much lighter and managable than the Triton. I added a Bosch Colt not long ago.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- About 13 years of woodworking, home improvement and reapirs most of my life.
- First Name
- United States
- The more I do, the less I accomplish.
Showing Friends 1 to 7 of 7
- Cricket is offline
- Registered User
- dcrusoe is offline
- Registered User
- jj777746 is online now
- Registered User
- Larkan is offline
- RainMan 2.0
- Registered User
- RainMan 2.0 is offline
- Scott Falkner
- Registered User
- Scott Falkner is offline
- Registered User
- timbertailor is offline
|09:19 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned JohnnyB60 in post Refreshments in the shop? |
...ut lunch. :grin: JohnnyB60 This is a really gr...
|11:41 PM - schnewj mentioned DesertRatTom in post Santa's present: Work Sharp 3000 |
... for sharpening. DesertRatTom I'll PM you tomor...
|11:36 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned schnewj in post Santa's present: Work Sharp 3000 |
schnewj Thanks for all the ...
|07:53 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Herb Stoops in post do I have to invent this? |
Herb Stoops Just went out and e...
|02:27 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Herb Stoops in post Refreshments in the shop? |
Herb Stoops: The matter of full...
|06:19 PM - vchiarelli mentioned DesertRatTom in post Hand Planes so hard to find! |
DesertRatTom Nope - you're not a...
|01:31 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post Shellac question (Earlex Sprayer) |
Moz I like the way you ...
|12:02 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post My Baby Doll and Table |
Moz Got curious about ...
|11:52 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post My Baby Doll and Table |
Moz You might want to s...
|12:19 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post Table Sled Runners - The hunt continues... |
Moz, Man, this string h...
|10:08 PM - schnewj mentioned DesertRatTom in post Santa's present: Work Sharp 3000 |
DesertRatTom Try these links for...
|09:20 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned schnewj in post Santa's present: Work Sharp 3000 |
schnewj I put the handles o...
|03:14 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post Dovetail jigs |
...l on light wood. Moz This is going to be ...
|11:40 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post Table Sled Runners - The hunt continues... |
Moz I can see why its s...
|11:23 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post A Surprise for My Desert Loving In Law |
Moz I have four routers...
|10:33 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Moz I missed it, what k...
|04:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Moz in post Router Books, Reviews and Suggestions |
Moz, You will notice th...
|01:33 PM - Moz mentioned DesertRatTom in post Router Books, Reviews and Suggestions |
.... reading sources! DesertRatTom - OMG, your suggesti...
|04:26 PM - TwoSkies57 mentioned DesertRatTom in post Grizzly GO513X2 bandsaw |
DesertRatTom I got to pretty mu...
|10:15 AM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post Router Lift Opinion |
DesertRatTom Stargate Thank you ...
|04:30 PM - Job and Knock quoted DesertRatTom in post Track saw question. |
I just wish they would supply a 6...
|09:04 AM - harrysin quoted DesertRatTom in post : Check your lateral thinking power |
Don't feel bad Harry, we're still...
|06:31 PM - greenacres2 quoted DesertRatTom in post Track saw question. |
Rubber tree plants need ants. ...
|02:45 PM - Gene Howe quoted DesertRatTom in post Will make you want a Pepsi. |
Hi Stick, I tried Vimeo, but the ...
|10:10 AM - hawkeye10 quoted DesertRatTom in post Track saw question. |
I saw the same during the first f...
|11:26 AM - Garyk quoted DesertRatTom in post Accupuncture - for pain. |
Garyk Tried it once with no eff...
|05:27 AM - 1fizgig quoted DesertRatTom in post Grain and fixings |
I think on that tripod base that ...
|10:43 AM - Cherryville Chuck quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We've got my favoriate little yel...
|06:25 PM - 1fizgig quoted DesertRatTom in post Ah to dream... |
Sounds like you have more time th...
|08:54 PM - roofner quoted DesertRatTom in post Interesting but expensive clamps |
I have 8 Jet parallel clamps and ...
|03:13 PM - Cherryville Chuck quoted DesertRatTom in post My Metric Holidays In Houston |
I like the IDEA of metric, but I ...
|08:47 AM - gmercer_48083 quoted DesertRatTom in post Saw Till |
How do y'all find enough space fo...
|02:49 PM - JOAT quoted DesertRatTom in post How do you figure this??? |
Ah, the vicissitudes of reaching ...
|12:41 PM - RÖENTGEEP quoted DesertRatTom in post First box joints |
You can get it close to minimize ...
|12:33 PM - JOAT quoted DesertRatTom in post Making a round picture frame. |
You might consider cutting a 3/16...
|11:23 AM - hawkeye10 quoted DesertRatTom in post Making a round picture frame. |
Lots of good suggestions here. I...
|12:47 AM - 1fizgig quoted DesertRatTom in post Thanks Tom |
My Katey jig came with the two bi...
|10:29 AM - Gene Howe quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
There's an interesting question, ...
|08:39 AM - CharleyL quoted DesertRatTom in post Tote Boxes |
Nice box joints. Are you using a...
|09:27 PM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Nausea makes an occasional visit ...