routergieck routergieck is offline
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- The significant power tools include a 10 inch Sears table saw, 14 inch General band saw, Jessem router table, 13inch Delta thickness planer, Craftsman spindle sander, 32inch belt and 5 inch disc sander, 20 inch General scroll saw, Dewalt 12 inch sliding cut-off saw, 14inch metal cut-off saw, gas power arc welder, acetylene set, 28 inch metal lathe(use mostly for small wood turning), General 1.5 hp dust collector set up outside of shop, Incra box joint jig and Incra miter, drill press and many hand tools.
- My Shop
- My shop was built as a detached garage but was always used as a workshop It is 24 by 30, fully insulated and heated with a recently installed dust collection system which gathers dust through ceiling downcomers to an external dust collector. Space is always a major concern so all of the large power tools are on rollers and brought out from the wall area for use. This year I plan to finish the floor with an epoxy coating as I tend to keep the shop a lot cleaner than I used to and I find it a lot better environment to work in. I listen to talk radio programs while I am working as I like to keep up on current events.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I am married (47 years now) with three children and 5 grandchildren with two more on the way. I am a civil engineer by training but spent my entire career in the oil and gas business. We did a lot of moving early in the career but have now lived on the same acreage for over 20 years not very far from the farms where we grew up. We have done quite a bit of traveling in the past few years with family and friends and our health is still reasonable so we will probably continue to do the same in the foreseeable future.
- I live on an acreage north of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Since I am semi-retired I spend a lot of time in the workshop especially in the winter and a lot of time working on projects for the grandchildren and friends. The projects range widely from house remodeling (built our own house years ago) to large toys, furniture of all types and lately quite a bit of Artesia, In the summer I spend a lot of time on the yard work with a lot of trees and lawn and projects again for the grandchildren. We have a treehouse at 32 feet with a slide, climbing wall and zipline that has about 350 feet of travel. We also have two ATV's and a small dune buggy. Although we haven't used them a lot for the past few years we have about 25 various sized rockets and two launch pads. We also set off our fair share of fireworks!
- Favorite Router
- Years ago it was Craftsman because they had certain features I liked including comfortable handle position and a switch on the handle. Today I have 4 routers all different sizes and makes but each with a feature suiting specific jobs. I definitely favor the smaller models and of course the table mount. Many times it is handy to have two or more so you can set the bits for multiple passes and not have to worry about resetting them when switching from one workpiece to another.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- 45 years as a hobby
- First Name