Shells Shells is offline
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Just the basics for now. Learning from the forum on what I might need.
- My Shop
- Currently building a workshop in what would have been a living room in another life. Living alone has its benefits. Currently I have a Bosch router, a few basic bits.
Router Workshop isn't available in this area but I do have Roku and there are several shows on "Blip TV" such as Wordworker's Guild, Wood Whisperer, Roy Underhill (on PBS Roku).
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I am originally from Albany, NY. We built two houses when I was young and were taught how to do pretty much everything but electrical. "You want a bedroom, kid? Get working on the studs to frame it then." One Christmas we were all given these super-dangerous hammers with a chrome finish that went flying off in chips as soon as they hit a nail.
As an adult I rehabbed an old Victorian row house - nothing fancy but it got me into using power tools again and adding a few more skills. My Mom and brother helped.
Then I became a registered nurse - one of those mid-life changes. I had been working at home as a computer programmer but got bored with it and wanted to be able to travel. Travel nursing is where you go somewhere for 3 to 6 months to help out. Your agency sets you up in a nice apartment for the time but it's an apartment and with moving so much, you don't haul power tools with you.
Fast forward to the present - after 12 or so years of travel, I settled in New Port Richey, Fl in an old double-wide where I can make a big mess with hobbies. Yay! My 150 year old bedroom set (that was in the family since new) was lost in 2004 hurricane season when the storage place got destroyed. My woodworking goal is to rebuild that set. It was walnut with the high headboard and carvings all over. (Think Abe Lincoln in the White House style.)
I'm still working as a RN - mostly in Intensive Care. Being single (again) and no kids means I have some money for me.
The good thing about being in Florida is that the living room is turning into a workshop and any visitors can be entertained in the covered lanai. And if they can't stand the mess, let 'em go someplace else.
- New Port Richey, Florida
- I've been into crafts all my life and love to study how things were done throughout history. Had my own little side business doing pottery. Started sewing at age 5 and haven't stopped since - can draft patterns and make historical style clothes. Anybody need a Victorian or Renaissance gown?
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- Basic carpentry 10+, learning woodworking and furniture making now.
- First Name
- United States