New here - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: South Africa
First Name: Kevin
Posts: 9
 
Default New here

Good day to you all.

I found this forum today while looking for info on overhead routers.

I do a bit of air rifle stock building and always have a headache when doing the in-letting in the stock for the rifle action. Balancing a half inch router on a 50mm wide piece of timber while routing accurately is always a pain and mistakes occur which results in firewood.

I decide to get a compound table as used on milling machines, and mount my router above. This will give me a stable platform and I can simply move my timber using the X and Y axis of the table and plunge the router to the required depth. It should look similar to a milling machine, but only for wood and not metal.

If anyone has made something similar, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Kevin Du Toit
dutoitk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Hi Kevin, just would like to say welcome to the forum!
Bob N is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 1,803
   
Default

Welcome aboard and will be waiting to see pictures of your air rifle stocks.
vikingcraftsman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

Greetings and welcome to the router forum Kevin and thank you for choosing to be a part of this forum.

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: South Africa
First Name: Kevin
Posts: 9
 
Default

Attached a few pic's

I only make these as a hobby at the moment for my son and a few club members. The HW77 Imbuia stock took 55 hours and has 23 layers of Danish oil.
No way you can recoup the labour cost on that. Therefore it will remain a hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold flake.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	28624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040041.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	28625  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050013.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	28626  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050166.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	28627  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050174.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	28628  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050185.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	28629  


Kevin
dutoitk is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Brad
Posts: 1,036
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutoitk View Post
Attached a few pic's

I only make these as a hobby at the moment for my son and a few club members. The HW77 Imbuia stock took 55 hours and has 23 layers of Danish oil.
No way you can recoup the labour cost on that. Therefore it will remain a hobby.
I love airguns. Have participated in the Nationals in several states, participated in several state championships, and even went to the worlds one year. I love my Air Arms short action for field targets and have been known to use the Steyr for offhand siloette, ten meter Olympic match, and standing shots.

Welcome. Beautiful work.

P.S. If you add your location to your profile, I could even tell you whether or not I have shot with your or some of your friends.


Just remember what my father always said, " Half the people in this world are below average!", and everything in life will make a hellova lot more sense.
timbertailor is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Dr.Zook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Dave or "Doc"
Posts: 10,715
 
Default

Welcome to the RouterForums Kevin. That is some fine looking work you did there.




Dave
the "Doctor"

In woodworking there is no scrap, only firewood.



Dr.Zook is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutoitk View Post
Good day to you all.

I found this forum today while looking for info on overhead routers.

I do a bit of air rifle stock building and always have a headache when doing the in-letting in the stock for the rifle action. Balancing a half inch router on a 50mm wide piece of timber while routing accurately is always a pain and mistakes occur which results in firewood.

I decide to get a compound table as used on milling machines, and mount my router above. This will give me a stable platform and I can simply move my timber using the X and Y axis of the table and plunge the router to the required depth. It should look similar to a milling machine, but only for wood and not metal.

If anyone has made something similar, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Kevin Du Toit
Hi Kevin:

There is a method of using a router called a ski. You'll have to ask Bob3J for specifics although I don't agree with his philosophy. However, I do have a problem with the three dimensional aspect of your project. I would suggest instead that you create a super-sized template based on 1/4" plywood and curve to match the curves of your project. I would suggest that you make your curve then a matching "shoe" and mount your router into the shoe. Here's an example of what I'm thinking " http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fix...html#post84526 " This is the most repeatable method. You may require several depending on the profile of your project. Setup one, cut a portion, move to the next, cut another portion etc until you have all your profile work done. Then, using a sharp scraper, scrape to the final dimension. LeeValley Tools has scrapers and directions on their use.

You might also use a laminate trimming router will a 1/4" bit instead of a full-sized plunge router.

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: South Africa
First Name: Kevin
Posts: 9
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbertailor View Post
I love airguns. Have participated in the Nationals in several states, participated in several state championships, and even went to the worlds one year. I love my Air Arms short action for field targets and have been known to use the Steyr for offhand siloette, ten meter Olympic match, and standing shots.

Welcome. Beautiful work.

P.S. If you add your location to your profile, I could even tell you whether or not I have shot with your or some of your friends.
My son Francois and I have just come back from the World's FT champs held here in South Africa for the first time. He won the U/17 world title and came 21st overall. Not bad for a 14 year old kid who has only been shooting for 10 months. He uses an Air Arms S400 with big nikko scope.

We met Alan Otsuka and Timothy Mc Murray (USFT Guy) of the USA at the shoot. Nice bunch of guys.

Here are some pic's of Timothy giving my son the heads up on a USFT and Alan sporting his mouse ears. Alan reckons they they worked well as he did not see an elephant all week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050883.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	28663  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050914.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	28664  


Kevin
dutoitk is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Brad
Posts: 1,036
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutoitk View Post
My son Francois and I have just come back from the World's FT champs held here in South Africa for the first time. He won the U/17 world title and came 21st overall. Not bad for a 14 year old kid who has only been shooting for 10 months. He uses an Air Arms S400 with big nikko scope.

We met Alan Otsuka and Timothy Mc Murray (USFT Guy) of the USA at the shoot. Nice bunch of guys.

Here are some pic's of Timothy giving my son the heads up on a USFT and Alan sporting his mouse ears. Alan reckons they they worked well as he did not see an elephant all week.
Congratulations to your son. That really is a great accomplishment. There are some GREAT shooters in the FT competition. Some of the best in the world. Even as good or better than the military forces and law enforcment groups so highly regarded. Well done! Nice rig too! Somebody loves their son. I only with I had had as nice a rifle and scope as that when I was his age. You could buy a good used car for what that rig costs.

I have shot with Alan and his brother on several occassions. They travel extensively and I even got to go to their state match in California. Some of the nicest people you will ever want to meet.

Small world. Maybe I should dust off my AA and get ready for the Nationals next year. I hope it is in Louisiana. The Cajuns really know how to host a shoot!!!

P.S. I kind of got disenamoured with the sport when they started allowing all the artifical support systems into the matches (clearly against the AAFTA rules at the time). Just took all the fun out of it and reduced the skill level required.


Just remember what my father always said, " Half the people in this world are below average!", and everything in life will make a hellova lot more sense.

Last edited by timbertailor; 10-05-2009 at 09:00 AM.
timbertailor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome