|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|04-11-2009 02:43 PM|
Thanks for all the comments, guys. The light really helps tired old eyes like mine. My vision is at that point where I don't need to wear my "cheaters" to see most everything but fine print and colored backgrounds. |
Attached to the top is a Bosch RA1165 router base. I use a Bosch 1617EVS router with it. The base is adjustable from the top, using an allen wrench. My understanding is that Bosch includes the through-table adjustability in the newer 1617 models. There is little need to micro adjust from beneath the top with this feature. It is nice to be able to see what's going on in the router mounting area, though.
I will be adding a dust port into that cavity as soon as my shop vac comes back from the field and I locate my hole saws. I never thought a guy could have too many tools but sometimes it's hard to keep track. I am in the construction business so tools are going and coming all the time, depends on current projects.
|04-11-2009 11:52 AM|
|Ralph Barker||Nice set-up, Lance. I like the idea of "re-purposing" the shelf unit, as well as the little light in the router well.|
|04-11-2009 06:11 AM|
|kolias||Very nice setup and a good idea|
|04-11-2009 01:48 AM|
|dovetail_65||Sweet setup I think I will throw a light in mine.|
|04-11-2009 01:26 AM|
Adding a light
I was finishing up some tweaks on my first router table, tonight, added a plexi door, mounted the cab to a caster base, etc.. I noticed it was pretty dim inside the cavity where the router mounts. Voila, a wallwart transformer, a 9v. bulb, and a little wiring and I now have light in that cavity. The bulb is mounted inside a piece of 3/8" ID plastic tubing. I thought that was a good idea to prevent any chips from shattering the bulb. First attachment is with the overhead shop lights on and the second is with only a 40w. bulb nearby. The picture doesn't really convey how bright it is in the cavity. I can clearly see the base adjustment knob and reference lines, now.
The cabinet, BTW, is my endeavor into economy. It was a cast-off shelving unit. I cut it down 4" in height and made it 3 1/2" deeper. Total cost of construction, including the electrical items and shelving was under $20. I had most of the needed accoutrements laying around. Along with the switched receptacle inside the cab, I added an additional receptacle on the back of the cab, top is switched for the shop vac, and bottom is constant.