Router Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: anyone know what this is? Reply to Thread
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-23-2015 05:39 AM
TenGees The way that I see it, you're short at least one pipe. The missing pipe might have had a series of holes that match the series in that pipe on the left. That way the scale could be adjusted. If the lengths a, b, c and d are equal then the cut would be half the size of the pattern.

Maybe you could make them up from old hockey sticks.
02-16-2015 07:21 AM
newfie2 if that's the case Paul i'm guessing there's a few parts/pieces missing?
02-09-2015 02:53 PM
Might be like this...

I think that it may be like this drawing.

Take off the bar that joins the 2 arms coming off the plate.

The black plate is Q.

The arms coming out from the plate go from Q to N and Q to M.

The arm that was joining them may be part of L to O or L to P.

In that setup, O is pinned down and P is used to trace. Q does the cutting.

Just a guess though
02-07-2015 09:47 AM
gmercer_48083 Todd, A router sets on the casting and the 2 clamps hold it to the base. I would clamp a piece of plywood onto the casting that has a hole for a pencil, then play with it to figure it out.
02-06-2015 01:51 PM
newfie2 it is some sort pantograph but i have know idea how it works or if its all there.the person that gave it to me said it was all there except the letter templates. i think its just junk at this point!
02-06-2015 12:12 PM
TenGees I agree that something could be missing or it's not configured correctly. That cross-member wouldn’t be that long (to the right) if it was only a brace. It does look like a pantograph or engraver gizmo though.
02-06-2015 09:41 AM
Cherryville Chuck My first thought was pantograph too and like Stick, I think I've seen it before. What's throwing me is the circle in the middle but I'm starting to think maybe a Dremel type machine attaches there which would make it more of an engraver?
02-06-2015 09:12 AM
gmercer_48083 Todd, From the picture it has a pivot joint where the left arm joins the router base. The way I see it... It looks like a pantograph, where peg in the slot would slide as you use it allowing the pivot joint to change position. On the left arm there is an adjustable sharp peg that you stab into a base made of plywood, then as you move the stylis (at the end of the lower right rod) over your picture or letter the router would reduce the size as it cuts. The size would be determined by which peg hole the sharpened peg is in. I saw a pantograph similar to this demonstrated at a wood show sponsored by peachtree. OR... I could be WRONG!
02-05-2015 06:04 PM
Stick486 seen that before...
early sears pantograph or the arm for a ellipse jig...
I believe you are missing some of it...
02-05-2015 05:16 PM
walkerrosewood ...this is like that what is it segment on "Ask this old house". Maybe they would know?
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome