Bosch GKF 600 - 33.000 rpm - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Sweden
First Name: N/a
Posts: 2
 
Default Bosch GKF 600 - 33.000 rpm

Hi,

I've bought the Bosch GKF600 palm router. It is the single speed version. I'm not sure of the different names of this tool.

I didn't think much of the variable speed vs fixed speed issue when I bought it. But now when I look at the recommended rpm for the different bits I get confused. I've searched in many forums on the internet but haven't found the information I need. Maybe I'm missing something (please tell me what) but the fixed, no load, speed for the router is 33000 rpm. I've read the recommended bit speeds on this forum which states 24.000 rpm for bits less than 1" and lower speeds for larger bits.

Is it the case that under load, the rpm will drop and fall within the bits recommended range? Seems a little uncertain. Do I need to find router bits that is specified for 33.000 rpm usage?

If someone could clarify this I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Mattias Karlsson
Lund, Sweden
ikmattias is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Mattias

If you just bought the Bosch Colt you may want to return it and get the VS one, you don't want to spin the bits 33,000 rpm's ,that's a good way to burn up the bits.

========

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikmattias View Post
Hi,

I've bought the Bosch GKF600 palm router. It is the single speed version. I'm not sure of the different names of this tool.

I didn't think much of the variable speed vs fixed speed issue when I bought it. But now when I look at the recommended rpm for the different bits I get confused. I've searched in many forums on the internet but haven't found the information I need. Maybe I'm missing something (please tell me what) but the fixed, no load, speed for the router is 33000 rpm. I've read the recommended bit speeds on this forum which states 24.000 rpm for bits less than 1" and lower speeds for larger bits.

Is it the case that under load, the rpm will drop and fall within the bits recommended range? Seems a little uncertain. Do I need to find router bits that is specified for 33.000 rpm usage?

If someone could clarify this I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Mattias Karlsson
Lund, Sweden



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
If you just bought the Bosch Colt you may want to return it and get the VS one, you don't want to spin the bits 33,000 rpm's ,that's a good way to burn up the bits.
He would, if he could, but he can't, Bob; get a variable speed one here, that is - or at least he couldn't a couple of weeks back when I last asked the question of Bosch UK. The GKF600 in Europe is a 230 volt 50Hz version of the Bosch Colt PR10 (with the UK getting a 110 volt 50Hz version for site use). It is a single speed laminate trimmer with no variable speed and as part of the Bosch blue range is sold into the trade/industrial/professional market here (DIY/home woodworker lines are green). We just don't have the variable speed model available, yet, although the recent introduction of the deWalt D26204K may well change all of that. One can only hope that it happens

I suppose that the reason for a single speed tool is quite simple, really. The GKF600 was introduced to replace the previous 600 watt fixed base laminate trimmer, confusingly also called a "GKF600". Laminate trimmers don't benefit much from having variable speed, IMHO, and Bosch presumably see the primary customer for this tool as a professional woodworking factory or professional installer who will use it for trimming and small tasks. Add to that the fact that over here there is (and for quite some time has been) an abundance of small, low-cost plunge routers available which are all much cheaper than the GKF600, e.g. Power Devil PDW5037, Axminster White AW635R, Direct Power PR1020E, Trend T4, Einheil RT-RO55, Einheil OF1200, etc (some of these are now superceded) and it becomes obvious that the GKF600 isn't going to compete on price in the DIY market evdn with variable speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikmattias View Post
I didn't think much of the variable speed vs fixed speed issue when I bought it. But now when I look at the recommended rpm for the different bits I get confused. I've searched in many forums on the internet but haven't found the information I need. Maybe I'm missing something (please tell me what) but the fixed, no load, speed for the router is 33000 rpm. I've read the recommended bit speeds on this forum which states 24.000 rpm for bits less than 1" and lower speeds for larger bits.
Hi Mattias

I use a GKF600 regularly for laminate trimming, hinge recessing and simple edge profiling with cutters up to about 25mm in diameter. The size restriction isn't a problem if you all you are doing is putting a 3mm radius edge of PVC edge banding, or a 4mm chamfer onto an oak table top, or recessing a hinge to a depth of 3mm, or trimming a laminate overhang with a low cost trimming bit. etc. In fact for laminate trimming where a polished finish is required the high speed is actually an advantage. However, the the single speed of the GKF600 means it is not a true router. So providing you don't want to run big bits it should work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikmattias View Post
Is it the case that under load, the rpm will drop and fall within the bits recommended range? Seems a little uncertain. Do I need to find router bits that is specified for 33.000 rpm usage?
No and no. Standard carbide cutters will work well. Just keep your bits to the smallest diameter you can and aim for cutters under 25mm, and avoid big heavy cutters. I've found that the GKF600 does require a particular approach; cuts should be very shallow and the GKF should be fed quickly to avoid scorching the wood, especially on end grain. It is better to make 2 or 3 shallow passes than a single deep one and by doing that it maintains constant speed and doesn't bog down.

If I were looking for a one and only router it wouldn't be my tool of choice, but for doing those trimming and edge profiling tasks which crop up often in my line of work it is a very useful addition to my tool kit.

Regards

Phil
Phil P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Sweden
First Name: N/a
Posts: 2
 
Default

Hi Phil, thanks for an excellent explanation! That answered alot of questions I had.

I already have the Bosch GOF 1300 plunge router to do the "heavy" stuff. I intend to use the GKF600 as a chamfering/trimming router. Much easier to hold. But even the smaller bits was rated below 33000. But I guess that isn't a problem.

Perhaps the ballbearing (i.e. on a flush trim bit) is a limiting factor. That needs to be able to cope with the high rpm. One could use the template guide or the fence instead.

I think I will have great use for the router, just need to use the right bits.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Mattias
ikmattias is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Phil

That's what nice about being in the states we don't need to deal with the funny voltage items..what we want we can get..


===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
He would, if he could, but he can't, Bob; get a variable speed one here, that is - or at least he couldn't a couple of weeks back when I last asked the question of Bosch UK. The GKF600 in Europe is a 230 volt 50Hz version of the Bosch Colt PR10 (with the UK getting a 110 volt 50Hz version for site use). It is a single speed laminate trimmer with no variable speed and as part of the Bosch blue range is sold into the trade/industrial/professional market here (DIY/home woodworker lines are green). We just don't have the variable speed model available, yet, although the recent introduction of the deWalt D26204K may well change all of that. One can only hope that it happens

I suppose that the reason for a single speed tool is quite simple, really. The GKF600 was introduced to replace the previous 600 watt fixed base laminate trimmer, confusingly also called a "GKF600". Laminate trimmers don't benefit much from having variable speed, IMHO, and Bosch presumably see the primary customer for this tool as a professional woodworking factory or professional installer who will use it for trimming and small tasks. Add to that the fact that over here there is (and for quite some time has been) an abundance of small, low-cost plunge routers available which are all much cheaper than the GKF600, e.g. Power Devil PDW5037, Axminster White AW635R, Direct Power PR1020E, Trend T4, Einheil RT-RO55, Einheil OF1200, etc (some of these are now superceded) and it becomes obvious that the GKF600 isn't going to compete on price in the DIY market evdn with variable speed.


Hi Mattias

I use a GKF600 regularly for laminate trimming, hinge recessing and simple edge profiling with cutters up to about 25mm in diameter. The size restriction isn't a problem if you all you are doing is putting a 3mm radius edge of PVC edge banding, or a 4mm chamfer onto an oak table top, or recessing a hinge to a depth of 3mm, or trimming a laminate overhang with a low cost trimming bit. etc. In fact for laminate trimming where a polished finish is required the high speed is actually an advantage. However, the the single speed of the GKF600 means it is not a true router. So providing you don't want to run big bits it should work well.


No and no. Standard carbide cutters will work well. Just keep your bits to the smallest diameter you can and aim for cutters under 25mm, and avoid big heavy cutters. I've found that the GKF600 does require a particular approach; cuts should be very shallow and the GKF should be fed quickly to avoid scorching the wood, especially on end grain. It is better to make 2 or 3 shallow passes than a single deep one and by doing that it maintains constant speed and doesn't bog down.

If I were looking for a one and only router it wouldn't be my tool of choice, but for doing those trimming and edge profiling tasks which crop up often in my line of work it is a very useful addition to my tool kit.

Regards

Phil



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikmattias View Post
I intend to use the GKF600 as a chamfering/trimming router. Much easier to hold. But even the smaller bits was rated below 33000. But I guess that isn't a problem.

Perhaps the ballbearing (i.e. on a flush trim bit) is a limiting factor. That needs to be able to cope with the high rpm. One could use the template guide or the fence instead.
Hi Mattias

I doubt that you'll kill many bearings in home workshop use. If you do they're cheap enough to find, at least they are here in the UK. I use my GKF600 for the same sort of stuff you intend to do and I've only killed one bearing on a flush trim bit so far. It got clogged up with contact adhesive and in cleaning it out (with solvents) I succeeded in flushing out the lubricant in the bearing. A pack of 10 replacement bearings cost me £8 (about 10 Euros) on eBay and should last me quite a while

I'll say only one thing about flush trim bits, Mattias. Don't buy the absolute cheapest because you often find that the bearing isn't exactly the same size as the cutter! I use mainly Wealden bits, but I have or have used bits by Trend, Freud, CMT, Titman. KWO and others. there's litle in it between any on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
That's what nice about being in the states we don't need to deal with the funny voltage items..what we want we can get..
Yes, Bob. But isn't it a pain to have so many options to choose from?

Regards

Phil

Last edited by Phil P; 06-14-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Phil P is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Phil

" Yes, Bob. But isn't it a pain to have so many options to choose from? "

No,,,,in the states we have so much more than most, in the food store we can get about 100 types of bread at one place..very much like tools..


=======

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi Mattias

I doubt that you'll kill many bearings in home workshop use. If you do they're cheap enough to find, at least they are here in the UK. I use my GKF600 for the same sort of stuff you intend to do and I've only killed one bearing on a flush trim bit so far. It got clogged up with contact adhesive and in cleaning it out (with solvents) I succeeded in flushing out the lubricant in the bearing. A pack of 10 replacement bearings cost me £8 (about 10 Euros) on eBay and should last me quite a while

I'll say only one thing about flush trim bits, Mattias. Don't buy the absolute cheapest because you often find that the bearing isn't exactly the same size as the cutter! I use mainly Wealden bits, but I have or have used bits by Trend, Freud, CMT, Titman. KWO and others. there's litle in it between any on them


Yes, Bob. But isn't it a pain to have so many options to choose from?

Regards

Phil



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
No,,,,in the states we have so much more than most, in the food store we can get about 100 types of bread at one place..very much like tools..
I know, Bob. I've lived there. Where else could people come up with the concept of a candwich? BTW is it just me or does the BBQ chicken look like it's had an accident?

On the subject of choice why is it that you guys always get Festool stuff late (in some cases never) and you miss out completely on stuff like Mafell? Can't understand that one.

Regards

Phil
Phil P is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Phil

hahahahahahahaha LOL I love that stuff I was just thinking what do I have for lunch and I pulled out a can of Hunts's Manwich (sloppy joe mix) I love that stuff.

" Festool stuff " you and others on that side of the pond have more money for the high end tools than we do.. LOL

======

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I know, Bob. I've lived there. Where else could people come up with the concept of a candwich? BTW is it just me or does the BBQ chicken look like it's had an accident?

On the subject of choice why is it that you guys always get Festool stuff late (in some cases never) and you miss out completely on stuff like Mafell? Can't understand that one.

Regards

Phil



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
" Festool stuff " you and others on that side of the pond have more money for the high end tools than we do.. LOL
In MY dreams, Bob!

Phil
Phil P is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixing Bosch 1617 Router fixed base with Craftsman professional router sf_basilix Starting Off 17 10-11-2012 05:20 PM
Bosch 1617EVSPK or Bosch 1619EVS LBrandt Table-mounted Routing 25 01-19-2012 09:44 AM
Dewalt or Bosch??? jrwoodbutcher Starting Off 5 12-23-2010 10:18 AM
Minimum RPM for Router Bits joprinz CNC Routing 4 12-19-2010 03:52 PM
Bosch 5412L 12" Dual Compound Sliding Miter Saw and T4B Folding Stand Combo CanuckGal Tool Reviews 8 07-24-2009 01:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome