Craftsman 320.27680 - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
MAFoElffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 2,369
 
Default Craftsman 320.27680

I needed to replace my PC 890 router.

While I was in town, I visited the Sears there. I saw that their 2-1/2 HP Router Combo (fixed and plunge bases) was on sale for $149... But the shelf under the display was empty. I was in town a week later and stopped by to see if they had any come in... Shelves underneath still empty. Even though I dislike asking the people there any questions (they are clueless), I did.

They said it was on order. I asked if I could get a rain check for the sale price. They told me they didn't do rain checks. I asked if I could leave my name and number to be called when it came in... They said they usually didn't do that, but would take it.

A week later, they left a message saying their shipment came in. That it would be for less, if I was still interested.

I came in... Not even a 2-1/2 hp router in the display or the shelves. I got ahold of an associate and told them I was "called"... They sent me to merchandise pickup. That person had no idea of what was going on... but I have to say that that guy went out of his way to find out. There was NONE that had come in in orders. He did find the old display router in another part of the store, which was then marked as $118. It had both bases, but was missing both collet assy, dc adapters, RT wrench, edge guide...

I told him if I bought it, I really needed the collet assemblies and RT wrench. He ordered them for me (at not cost)... And printed out the manual for me. So, yes I picked it up for $118. The parts for it come in next week.

I was wondering if anyone has this and what they thought of it, compared to the PC 890? I was thinking that "BJ," with his collection of over 60 routers... and how he likes Craftsman, probably has this...

"Don't worry, I saw this work in a cartoon once."
"Usually learning skills and tooling involves a progression of logical steps."

Last edited by MAFoElffen; 05-26-2013 at 01:50 PM.
MAFoElffen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,859
 
Default

I think that might be the combo that I've seen BJ recommending. At that price and with Sears' warranty it would be hard to go wrong anyway. However, I've seen some pretty good deals on Hitachi M12V2s and VCs lately and they come with a 5 year warranty. I really like my Hitachis so I am a little prejudiced.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Mike

Yes I have my share 6 of them and I realty do like them I got some them at the sale price of 85.oo...with the 3 bases combo kits.

==

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
I needed to replace my PC 890 router.

While I was in town, I visited the Sears there. I saw that their 2-1/2 HP Router Combo (fixed and plunge bases) was on sale for $149... But the shelf under the display was empty. I was in town a week later and stopped by to see if they had any come in... Shelves underneath still empty. Even though I dislike asking the people there any questions (they are clueless), I did.

They said it was on order. I asked if I could get a rain check for the sale price. They told me they didn't do rain checks. I asked if I could leave my name and number to be called when it came in... They said they usually didn't do that, but would take it.

A week later, they left a message saying their shipment came in. That it would be for less, if I was still interested.

I came in... Not even a 2-1/2 hp router in the display or the shelves. I got ahold of an associate and told them I was "called"... They sent me to merchandise pickup. That person had no idea of what was going on... but I have to say that that guy went out of his way to find out. There was NONE that had come in in orders. He did find the old display router in another part of the store, which was then marked as $118. It had both bases, but was missing both collet assy, dc adapters, RT wrench, edge guide...

I told him if I bought it, I really needed the collet assemblies and RT wrench. He ordered them for me (at not cost)... And printed out the manual for me. So, yes I picked it up for $118. The parts for it come in next week.

I was wondering if anyone has this and what they thought of it, compared to the PC 890? I was thinking that "BJ," with his collection of over 60 routers... and how he likes Craftsman, probably has this...



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 05-26-2013 at 02:31 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
MAFoElffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 2,369
 
Default

Thanks Bob.

3 bases? Mine was 2. Was the third a D-base?

"Don't worry, I saw this work in a cartoon once."
"Usually learning skills and tooling involves a progression of logical steps."
MAFoElffen is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Mike

Right on..

==

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
Thanks Bob.

3 bases? Mine was 2. Was the third a D-base?


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0360.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	61994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0362.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	61995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0365.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	61996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0361.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	61997  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered User
 
rwl7532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 1,287
 
Default

What's the difference between the 320.27680 and the 320.27683?

I have the 320.27683... Two bases, $99 on sale as I recall. Ordered online and picked it up at my Sears in Everett Mall.

Haven't even plugged it in.

You need to go online as better deals are online.
For specific instance:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-am...2&blockType=G2

101.00 with Store pickup or FREE shipping says the ad.

  • Accident free since 10/27/12 at 3:58 pm.
  • Cursing free since 10/27/12 at 3:59 pm.
  • ...it happened in Everett, WA USA

Last edited by rwl7532; 05-27-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo removal crew came in.
rwl7532 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

The normal rule is
Gray top 1 1/2HP
Black top 2 HP
Red top 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 HP


2 1/4HP router
http://www.routerforums.com/craftsma...er-manual.html

2 HP router
http://www.routerforums.com/craftsma...0-27683-a.html

2 1/2 Router
Craftsman 2.5-hp Fixed/Plunge Router : Power Up With Deals at Sears




"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 05-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Registered User
 
Daikusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Japan
First Name: Steve
Posts: 1,186
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl7532 View Post
What's the difference between the 320.27680 and the 320.27683?

I have the 320.27683... Two bases, $99 on sale as I recall. Ordered online and picked it up at my Sears in Everett Mall.

Haven't even plugged it in.

You need to go online as better deals are online.
For specific instance:
Craftsman 2-hp Fixed/Plunge Router : Power Up With Deals at Sears

101.00 with Store pickup or FREE shipping says the ad.
I looked at both before I bought the 320.27680. It seemed like the tolerance between the motor and bases were tighter. There is a detectable difference between the plunge bases, the 320.27680 is much tighter. Im very happy with my 320.27680; though it was interesting packing it in my suitcase.

Im sure yours is just fine, enjoy the sawdust.

Workmanship is not perfection; it is how well you can cover your mistakes.
Daikusan is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Registered User
 
Daikusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Japan
First Name: Steve
Posts: 1,186
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi Mike

Yes I have my share 6 of them and I realty do like them I got some them at the sale price of 85.oo...with the 3 bases combo kits.

==
Bob
You want to get rid of one of the motors? I certain I can make one fit into my old 315.17480 router base because I dont think the old motor can be revived. It should be simple to mount the rack on the new motor. I really liked the rack-pinion adjustment in the 315.17480. The big plus would be 1/2" collet and more HP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8410.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	62013  


Workmanship is not perfection; it is how well you can cover your mistakes.
Daikusan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craftsman 320.27680 Router Manual newbirdhunter Craftsman 0 03-26-2013 06:29 PM
Craftsman Router Combo Model 320.27680 xzdl71 New Member Introductions 1 12-26-2012 10:44 PM
Craftsman really? brownsfn2 General Routing 25 07-18-2011 12:58 PM
dust extraction for craftsman routers headclansman General Routing 2 08-01-2009 10:29 AM
craftsmen router? rhe8542 Starting Off 21 04-20-2009 10:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome