Bosch 1917 vs 1619 - Router Forums
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By Herb Stoops
  • 4 Post By DaninVan
  • 2 Post By Mike
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 2
 
Default Bosch 1917 vs 1619

Which one would you use with 3.5" raised panel bits, 1617 mounted to a table or 1619 with an edge guide?
chinnlab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:27 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 7,340
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinnlab View Post
Which one would you use with 3.5" raised panel bits, 1617 mounted to a table or 1619 with an edge guide?
I would not use any 3 1/2" bit out of the router table. Infact right on the package there is a warning to that effect. USE THIS BIT IN A ROUTER TABLE ONLY.

Herb
Cherryville Chuck and Semipro like this.
Herb Stoops is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 13,831
 
Default

Can't speak for the RT setup, but the thought of using my 1619 handheld with a bit that size scares the crap outta me! :0
DaninVan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 24,553
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninVan View Post
Can't speak for the RT setup, but the thought of using my 1619 handheld with a bit that size scares the crap outta me! :0
me too....

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Any time you are using a panel raising bit you need your router in a table for safety and stability while making the cut.* All bit manufacturers inform you that their panel raising bits are for table mounted use only. Because of the mass of a 3-1/2" panel raising bit you want the larger bearings which are found in the 3+ hp routers and my personal choice would be the Bosch 1619EVS or PC 7518.

I feel a better choice is to use a vertical panel raising bit which has a lot less mass and is less expensive. This works best with a tall table fence or even better in a horizontal router table. Cuts should be made in multiple passes so you are not removing too much material at once. Another option is to remove the bulk of the material on a table saw with the blade tilted. There is no substitute for working safely.

* There is a method for using panel raising bits up to 2-1/2" diameter free hand but keep in mind this is not recommended by the bit or router manufacturers. This is only for advanced router users with proper training; it is also "Use at your own risk."

Thanks to Popular Woodworking and Wood magazine for their images posted on the web.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raised_2D00_panels_5F00_router_2D00_bits1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	126130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WJ001.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	126154  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WJ002.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	126162  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WJ004.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	126170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WJ005.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	126178  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tilting_table_topbig.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	126186  

Attached Images
 
RÖENTGEEP and tchouken like this.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Last edited by Mike; 06-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Mike is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Country: Germany
First Name: N/a
Posts: 11
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Any time you are using a panel raising bit you need your router in a table for safety and stability while making the cut.* All bit manufacturers inform you that their panel raising bits are for table mounted use only. Because of the mass of a 3-1/2" panel raising bit you want the larger bearings which are found in the 3+ hp routers and my personal choice would be the Bosch 1619EVS or PC 7518.

I feel a better choice is to use a vertical panel raising bit which has a lot less mass and is less expensive. This works best with a tall table fence or even better in a horizontal router table. Cuts should be made in multiple passes so you are not removing too much material at once. Another option is to remove the bulk of the material on a table saw with the blade tilted. There is no substitute for working safely.

* There is a method for using panel raising bits up to 2-1/2" diameter free hand but keep in mind this is not recommended by the bit or router manufacturers. This is only for advanced router users with proper training; it is also "Use at your own risk."

Thanks to Popular Woodworking and Wood magazine for their images posted on the web.
that's pretty informational, made me cringe...

Beer because no great story ever started with someone eating a salad __ http://7routertables.com/
tchouken is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bosch 1619 EVS Router Drtdigr New Member Introductions 5 07-15-2013 05:57 AM
Bosch 1619 EVS sema08 Table-mounted Routing 14 07-08-2013 08:58 PM
Bosch 1619 and table mounting Diamondman Table-mounted Routing 3 09-19-2009 11:13 PM
bosch 1619 evs lift stephen800 Table-mounted Routing 7 07-25-2009 02:12 AM
bosch 1619 evs MaintenanceWorker General Routing 10 06-13-2009 01:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome