My sister-in-law asked me to frame a picture of her's and my wife's mom for my wife's birthday. Actually it was a rolled up picture / poster that was 20" by 30" that my brother-in-law had created. I took it to a frame shop to have a boarder made and to unroll and attach it to a cardboard backing.
I selected cherry for the frame and walnut for an inlay. I made the frames 3/4" thick by 2 1/8" wide.
I used the table saw with a 1/8" blade making multiple passes in the cherry to cut a groove for installing the walnut splines. After gluing those in I finish planing the cherry and walnut to 3/4" thick.
I used a miter saw to cut the 45 degree corners and made a jig to allow micro adjusting the cutting the lengths. My micro adjuster is a wood screw inserted into a board for a stop (last photo).
I don't have a biscuit jointer or domino so I cut mortises in the corners using a jig that I made for this project. I cut those with a 5/16" spiral router bit using a plunge router.
I planed a small piece of cherry to use as floating tenons. I rounded the edges and cut to length.
I sanded the frames to 360 grit using a foam pad with an orbital sander.
To prevent glue squeeze out on the frame, I applied a couple coats of thinned shellac to the frames.
After gluing the floating tenons in the corners I used a belt clamp made by Wolfcraft to clamp the frame together.
I then sanded the frame and applied two more coats of thinned shellac then 4 or 5 coats of polyurethane thinned with mineral spirits. Both the shellac and poly finish were applied using the blue paper shop towel that I cut into 1/4 sheet then folded to abut 2" by 2".
I then took the frame back to the frame shop to install glare proof glass and inset the picture along with the hook on the back.