And now for an update. The project is complete!
It was up to me to design the cabinet. All she asked for was for it to be black. OK.
I built the cabinet using the pine project panels purchased from the big blue box store. The top is birch plywood with a poplar edge band (with rounded corners). I made a face frame from the front and the back. Glue and pocket screws for the frames and attached with glue and 18 ga brad nails.
Since the cabinet has to sit away from the wall 1 1/2 inches due to the wall baseboard and trim, they asked for the top to extend to the wall. For convenience, I cut a relief in the back of the top in the center so power cords can be passed through for things like slow cookers, or whatever.
Then came the design change! A TV is mounted on the wall above where this cabinet will sit. So, they asked for the cabinet to be a little taller so the cable box could sit on top of the wine 'frig. OK. Luckily, I hadn't cut the side yet so no harm done.
Once assembled, I use Transtint Black aniline dye to tint it black. The next portion of the finish was to spray the cabinet with Zinsser Bull Eye sanding sealer to seal in the black dye. Finally, several coats of clear satin finished off the project.
One thing I made sure, was to make sure the lower stretcher on the back would not interfere with the power outlet. No problem with interference.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I used the CNC to cut the angles on the frame sides and legs!
We delivered it last weekend and it fit perfect...and they love it. And that makes me a happy camper.