Table & Chair Repair
I was asked to "repair", not restore, a table with 4 chairs, a piano bench and a very large dresser drawer. Picture are shown below. The first picture is the drawer. The bottom was detached from the back. It was just a butt joint. I cleaned the joint and glued back together. To be sure it holds, I put in screws and glue blocks. Sorry, forgot to take picture of the repair. The piano bench just needed holes filled with tooth picks and screws tightened.
The third picture is the table and one chair before work started. I took the chairs completed apart except for the back. Since the dowel pins were an odd size, I had to buy 5/8" oak dowels and turned them to dimensions on my metal lathe. I them glue each chair back together. Only had on major problem. I took my Bessey clamp and ground of the tabs on the end so I could remove the clamp and reverse it so it would become a spreader. I was removing a seat rail and the rail broke in the middle near a screw went through to hold the seat in place. I had the option to either replace or repair. Since the break was clean, I decided to glue and repair. I then glued and screwed a 1/4" piece of plywood over the break. As you can see from the picture, it will hold for a long time.
The table boards were cracked and split. I used my table saw to cut through each crack so I could glue boards back together. I then ran each glued up board through my drum sander. I stained the boards and table before applying three coats of Urethane.
One final thing on the chairs. There was a piece broken and missing on the back. I traced the good side and made another piece for the left side. The break was at a dowel rod used to hole the back in place. I drilled a hole into the bottom of my piece and cut half was through the hole to my piece would be glued to the dowel. You can see the final three pictures. They did not request this repair, but I could not send back without trying. The final picture shows the piece after trying to match color. Remember, I did not refinish the chairs, only repaired. It came out really close and customer was very pleased.