Teds Woodworking Package ??? - Router Forums
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Peter
Posts: 599
 
Default Teds Woodworking Package ???

Hi all,
Teds Woodworking Package
I've seen this offered on the net, read the sales bla that goes with it, says has 16000 complete, detailed plans.A YouTube reviewer told me had window plans, but I felt he might have a vested interest in giving the package a positve review.

You can search the available plans, think said 124 available for windows. I also did a search for, wait for it ...... breast implant plans, search results, said had loads of them, don't know if were hardwood of softwood versions I also did a seach for WW2 tank plans, said had loads of plans for that too. Enter any topic and results will say has loads of plans for it.
I don't know guys, Teds Woodworking Package might be complete rubbish and a scam.

I'm interested in making my own house windows, to replace my 1930s rotting ones. I fished an old frame and sash out of of a builders skip, that gave me some insight into how cill and board were fitted, been learning a bit about stick and cope router cutters, and looking at pictures on Ebay, trying to figure out more about construction. I'm trying to find an objective opinion does anyone have the package, if so what do they think of it? Are there any house window plans around? I have a couple of books that give me a bit more insight.Given time I could probably figure it all out but seeing plans might help me along.
Cheers.

Last edited by Gaia; 10-03-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Gaia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Hi all,
Teds Woodworking Package
I've seen this offered on the net, read the sales bla that goes with it, says has 16000 complete, detailed plans.A YouTube reviewer told me had window plans, but I felt he might have a vested interest in giving the package a positve review.

You can search the available plans, think said 124 available for windows. I also did a search for, wait for it ...... breast implant plans, search results, said had loads of them, don't know if were hardwood of softwood versions I also did a seach for WW2 tank plans, said had loads of plans for that too. Enter any topic and results will say has loads of plans for it.
I don't know guys, Teds Woodworking Package migh be complete rubbish and a scam.

I'm interested in making my own house windows, to replace my 1930s rotting ones. I fished an old frame and sash out of of a builders skip, that gave me some insight into how cill and board were fitted, been learning a bit about stick and cope router cutters, and looking at pictures on Ebay, trying to figure out more about construction. I'm trying to find an objective opinion does anyone have the package, if so what do they think of it? Are there any house window plans around? I have a couple of books that give me a bit more insight.Given time I could probably figure it all out but seeing plans might help me along.
Cheers.
Hi Peter - Ted's plans are becoming infamous on most forums dealing with woodworking. Mostly because of poorly concealed spamming but also because most, if not all, are merely assembled from free plans available on the internet or copied from magazines. Many difficult to read and/or incomplete. Haven't seen much of him on this site, I suspect our moderators and the 10 post link rule have managed to keep him pretty well filtered out.
I'm suspect of any of those places that offer some astronomical number of plans anyway. There is no way I would be able to review all of them much less build, or want to build, even a fraction of them. In most cases, I draw up my own plans using DeltaCad or Sketchup. If I have something I really need a plan for, I prefer to purchase one specific to that project from a know entity. I have made one exception and that was to acquire the DVD from Wood magazine that features something like 25 years of magazine issues which includes a LOT of plans. At $150 US it wasn't exactly cheap but the magazine also includes a lot of shop jigs and tips which, to me, made it worthwhile.
To directly answer your question though, In my opinion there are a lot better places for your money than in Ted's plans. I really doubt that any of his plans would include any real plans about making doors or windows anyway. If there is anything in there, it would more likely be a lift from some mfg artwork featuring a cross section or something like that.
rwoods4764 likes this.

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.

Last edited by jschaben; 10-03-2011 at 08:36 AM.
jschaben is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Peter
Posts: 599
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Peter - Ted's plans are becoming infamous on most forums dealing with woodworking. Mostly because of poorly concealed spamming but also because most, if not all, are merely assembled from free plans available on the internet or copied from magazines. Many difficult to read and/or incomplete. Haven't seen much of him on this site, I suspect our moderators and the 10 post link rule have managed to keep him pretty well filtered out.
I'm suspect of any of those places that offer some astronomical number of plans anyway. There is no way I would be able to review all of them much less build, or want to build, even a fraction of them. In most cases, I draw up my own plans using DeltaCad or Sketchup. If I have something I really need a plan for, I prefer to purchase one specific to that project from a know entity. I have made one exception and that was to acquire the DVD from Wood magazine that features something like 25 years of magazine issues which includes a LOT of plans. At $150 US it wasn't exactly cheap but the magazine also includes a lot of shop jigs and tips which, to me, made it worthwhile.
To directly answer your question though, In my opinion there are a lot better places for your money than in Ted's plans. I really doubt that any of his plans would include any real plans about making doors or windows anyway. If there is anything in there, it would more likely be a lift from some mfg artwork featuring a cross section or something like that.
Cheers for that John,
I'll save my money, thought that would be how it would go. The fake search results put me off. Not a good way to go, deception from the start! How I found about Ted, it was on the Router Forum site. The son of the founder, had Teds link amongst his signature stuff. Don't know who now, someone who does, perhaps should tell him.
Regards,
Peter.
Gaia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Default

Greetings Peter,

I wasn't aware of how that site functioned and I appreciate you and John providing me with some insight. I'll make the necessary changes to ensure that link is no longer on the community.

Thanks!

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com
Mark is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Peter
Posts: 599
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Greetings Peter,

I wasn't aware of how that site functioned and I appreciate you and John providing me with some insight. I'll make the necessary changes to ensure that link is no longer on the community.

Thanks!
Hi,
Great, glad to be a member of the forum and hope to learn a lot.
Peter.
Gaia is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,220
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

For a laugh, watch this video....

Pirated woodworking: what you need to know to fight woodworking scams. - YouTube

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Alex
Posts: 88
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2170 View Post
Great production value! The guy has a great future in the advertisement business!


Um... by the way, where do I order those 45,000 woodworking plans he is selling?
Herb Stoops likes this.
lastberserker is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,220
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

Hi Alex,

Did you watch the video right through?? ROTFL

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 1
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Hi all,
Teds Woodworking Package
I've seen this offered on the net, read the sales bla that goes with it, says has 16000 complete, detailed plans.A YouTube reviewer told me had window plans, but I felt he might have a vested interest in giving the package a positve review.

You can search the available plans, think said 124 available for windows. I also did a search for, wait for it ...... breast implant plans, search results, said had loads of them, don't know if were hardwood of softwood versions I also did a seach for WW2 tank plans, said had loads of plans for that too. Enter any topic and results will say has loads of plans for it.
I don't know guys, Teds Woodworking Package might be complete rubbish and a scam.

I'm interested in making my own house windows, to replace my 1930s rotting ones. I fished an old frame and sash out of of a builders skip, that gave me some insight into how cill and board were fitted, been learning a bit about stick and cope router cutters, and looking at pictures on Ebay, trying to figure out more about construction. I'm trying to find an objective opinion does anyone have the package, if so what do they think of it? Are there any house window plans around? I have a couple of books that give me a bit more insight.Given time I could probably figure it all out but seeing plans might help me along.
Cheers.
Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I wondered if these plans are good for a complete newbie?
Gendi is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 151
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendi View Post
Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I wondered if these plans are good for a complete newbie?
Ted's Woodworking - don't pay for the plans!
billg71 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sort Members by City or Zip RJM60 Site Help and Suggestions 56 03-13-2014 06:40 PM
Things You Need To Know About Woodworking Routers learnexperience General Routing 11 10-16-2011 05:55 PM
The Joys of Woodworking according to ... allbarknobite Lobby 2 09-29-2011 09:57 AM
Woodworking Magazines, What do you read? Old_Chipper General Routing 20 07-11-2010 08:38 AM
New woodworking show on PBS! Toolfreak Tools and Woodworking 3 03-14-2007 06:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome